The HTC One (M8) DOES have an FM Radio.

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
But not on Verizon. My question is whether or not its a hardware difference, or we can side load the application from a UK/T-Mobile HTC One M8 onto a Verizon One and get it working!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: The HTC One DOES have an FM Radio.

But not on Verizon. My question is whether or not its a hardware difference, or we can side load the application from a UK/T-Mobile HTC One M8 onto a Verizon One and get it working!

It depends if it has the FM receiver. I don't know if the 801 has it built in. If it does, I'm sure someone will eventually unlock it.

You can also try Spirit FM. It is an app that allows you to listen to real FM using the radio inside the phone.

Last edited:

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Its so weird that Verizon doesn't have it... I wonder why that is. Is it possible that the app that HTC has been using hasn't been approved by them yet? Otherwise, it seems kind of dumb for their to be hardware differences like that between carriers

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Its so weird that Verizon doesn't have it... I wonder why that is. Is it possible that the app that HTC has been using hasn't been approved by them yet? Otherwise, it seems kind of dumb for their to be hardware differences like that between carriers

I'm guessing it has to do with Amazon (and it's music service, specifically), or their interest in getting you to use more data so you'll move up to a higher data tier, or they have some back end deal with iHeartRadio or something. From a financial standpoint it makes sense, but we already knew that Verizon doesn't really care about it's customers to the end point.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Verizon disabled the FM transmitter on the M7 also. Clearly, they want you streaming music via your data connection so they can yank harder on your short hairs. They did something similar with the DNA; the international model (Butterfly) came with a perfectly good SD card but Verizon forced HTC to remove it for the DNA, and HTC didn't have the market muscle to stand up to them. I can just hear it: "Let's take away their SD cards and FM radios, force them into the cloud, then TAKE AWAY THEIR UNLIMITED DATA!" (Que evil laugh). Arrogant profit pursuit over customer interests. At least TMo is forcing them, finally, to compete a tiny bit. Sorry, end somewhat off-topic rant...pet peeve.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Receivers, Not transmitters.
FM transmitters are what the radio stations use to broadcast the info to the public.
FM receivers are what the phones would use to pick up the FM broadcast.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it present on the device? Or is it just disabled? If its disabled, can the apk be side loaded to make use of the receiver module?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it present on the device? Or is it just disabled? If its disabled, can the apk be side loaded to make use of the receiver module?

Tons of discussion on this issue over at XDA forums but the consensus send seems to be that access to the FM receiver receiver receiver 😛 is disabled in hardware on the Verizon M7, I'm guessing they did it again on the M8.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

dmack0706

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Back in March 2011 thunderbolt came out running gingerbread with fm radio then when it got moved up to ice cream sandwich fm was gone rezound came out 8 months later on ice cream sandwich no fm. Do not know if it was verizon or what but have not seen it in a Verizon HTC since.

From the one M8

Brian Dooley1

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Back in March 2011 thunderbolt came out running gingerbread with fm radio then when it got moved up to ice cream sandwich fm was gone rezound came out 8 months later on ice cream sandwich no fm. Do not know if it was verizon or what but have not seen it in a Verizon HTC since.

From the one M8

DirtyDoggg

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The Verizon version of the HTC One (M8) has the FM receiver removed. However, you can find and install the APK and the FM radio will work. I'm not sure about M7 or M9. Search for FM_Radio.apk; it's not in the Google Play Store. I installed the FM Radio app on my own Verizon HTC One (M8) and it works. You have to momentarily allow installation of apps from unknown sources in the security settings.