Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kilofoxtrot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Default The HTC One (M8) DOES have an FM Radio.

But not on Verizon. My question is whether or not its a hardware difference, or we can side load the application from a UK/T-Mobile HTC One M8 onto a Verizon One and get it working!

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Global Posts
    3,980 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: The HTC One DOES have an FM Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by CyD13 View Post
    But not on Verizon. My question is whether or not its a hardware difference, or we can side load the application from a UK/T-Mobile HTC One M8 onto a Verizon One and get it working!

It depends if it has the FM receiver. I don't know if the 801 has it built in. If it does, I'm sure someone will eventually unlock it.

You can also try Spirit FM. It is an app that allows you to listen to real FM using the radio inside the phone.
    Last edited by wizzrah; 03-28-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

Default Re: The HTC One (M8) DOES have an FM Radio.

Its so weird that Verizon doesn't have it... I wonder why that is. Is it possible that the app that HTC has been using hasn't been approved by them yet? Otherwise, it seems kind of dumb for their to be hardware differences like that between carriers

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    Its so weird that Verizon doesn't have it... I wonder why that is.
    You answered your own question...... Verizon.
    Thanked by:
    ErnstMach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    You answered your own question...... Verizon.
    Touch

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

Its so weird that Verizon doesn't have it... I wonder why that is. Is it possible that the app that HTC has been using hasn't been approved by them yet? Otherwise, it seems kind of dumb for their to be hardware differences like that between carriers

I'm guessing it has to do with Amazon (and it's music service, specifically), or their interest in getting you to use more data so you'll move up to a higher data tier, or they have some back end deal with iHeartRadio or something. From a financial standpoint it makes sense, but we already knew that Verizon doesn't really care about it's customers to the end point.

Verizon disabled the FM transmitter on the M7 also. Clearly, they want you streaming music via your data connection so they can yank harder on your short hairs. They did something similar with the DNA; the international model (Butterfly) came with a perfectly good SD card but Verizon forced HTC to remove it for the DNA, and HTC didn't have the market muscle to stand up to them. I can just hear it: "Let's take away their SD cards and FM radios, force them into the cloud, then TAKE AWAY THEIR UNLIMITED DATA!" (Que evil laugh). Arrogant profit pursuit over customer interests. At least TMo is forcing them, finally, to compete a tiny bit. Sorry, end somewhat off-topic rant...pet peeve.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Receivers, Not transmitters.
    FM transmitters are what the radio stations use to broadcast the info to the public.
    FM receivers are what the phones would use to pick up the FM broadcast.

Is it present on the device? Or is it just disabled? If its disabled, can the apk be side loaded to make use of the receiver module?

Is it present on the device? Or is it just disabled? If its disabled, can the apk be side loaded to make use of the receiver module?

Tons of discussion on this issue over at XDA forums but the consensus send seems to be that access to the FM receiver receiver receiver 😛 is disabled in hardware on the Verizon M7, I'm guessing they did it again on the M8.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Back in March 2011 thunderbolt came out running gingerbread with fm radio then when it got moved up to ice cream sandwich fm was gone rezound came out 8 months later on ice cream sandwich no fm. Do not know if it was verizon or what but have not seen it in a Verizon HTC since.

From the one M8

Quote Originally Posted by dmack0706 View Post
    Back in March 2011 thunderbolt came out running gingerbread with fm radio then when it got moved up to ice cream sandwich fm was gone rezound came out 8 months later on ice cream sandwich no fm. Do not know if it was verizon or what but have not seen it in a Verizon HTC since.

From the one M8

1we

I have the M8 on AT&T and I can confirm the FM tuner works!

just download nextradio app from the play store. works great !
    Thanked by:

wow even on verizon. Thanks