Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC One (M8): Battery Life

After my first full day with the phone, I am very happy. I took it off the charger around 6am and put it on the charger at 10pm. At 10pm I had 39% battery life. I used the phone frequently during the day for texts, emails, videos (a few), and pictures. I would characterize the use as moderate.

My Droid DNA did not come close to this battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah the S4 was not very good compared to what's out now. I haven't had the chance yet to run my battery down but for the life of me I could not imagine getting at least 6-8+ hours of screen time on a charge. I am running it hard, when the honeymoon wears off I could see the M8 maybe lasting me 2 days.....guess we shall see. Can you imagine how many days that we can add when they release the power saving feature? The M8 totally rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous, would never have expected that kind of screen on time. Remember last year when we thought 6 hours on our S4 was good? Haha. Still using Battery Guru?

Overall the battery has been great. When I went to sleep Tuesday night, I had 65% battery and woke up with 61% i think, which is great. Weds into Thurs was pretty much the same as the previous night.

But when I went to sleep last night, I let it charge to 100% before going to sleep. When I woke up my battery was at 60%? I didn't have anything running overnight. The battery usage has been normal since I started using it when I woke up. I can't figure out why it drained like that overnight.

I left WiFi on Tuesday night and remembered to turn it off last night thinking that would prevent any more usage.

I'm an *****. Found out what happened. Ignore this. Battery is amazing! haha
    Last edited by markdc111; 03-28-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by markdc111 View Post
    Overall the battery has been great. When I went to sleep Tuesday night, I had 65% battery and woke up with 61% i think, which is great. Weds into Thurs was pretty much the same as the previous night.

But when I went to sleep last night, I let it charge to 100% before going to sleep. When I woke up my battery was at 60%? I didn't have anything running overnight. The battery usage has been normal since I started using it when I woke up. I can't figure out why it drained like that overnight.

I left WiFi on Tuesday night and remembered to turn it off last night thinking that would prevent any more usage.

I'm an *****. Found out what happened. Ignore this. Battery is amazing! haha
    WiFi is going to be less draining than 3G/4G. Perhaps it was just all your stuff syncing over that connection all night.

EDIT: responded before I saw your update. Out of curiosity what was the problem?

So everyone says turn auto brightness off? Do you all just manually change it from the notifications pull down quick settings or use Lux or something like it?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    WiFi is going to be less draining than 3G/4G. Perhaps it was just all your stuff syncing over that connection all night.

EDIT: responded before I saw your update. Out of curiosity what was the problem?
    Turns out I forgot to change my alarm that was 2 hours earlier from the previous day. When it went off at 5:30 am, I somehow managed to dial #w (that's what it says in my call log, no clue what it means. Never did that before) and hit send. I fell back asleep and the call apparently kept going until I woke up again 2.5 hours later. I must've ended the call without realizing when I woke back up.

Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by markdc111 View Post
    Turns out I forgot to change my alarm that was 2 hours earlier from the previous day. When it went off at 5:30 am, I somehow managed to dial #w (that's what it says in my call log, no clue what it means. Never did that before) and hit send. I fell back asleep and the call apparently kept going until I woke up again 2.5 hours later. I must've ended the call without realizing when I woke back up.

Very strange.
    Haha, definitely strange, but yeah, that'll do it.

Pretty impressed with battery life, took it off charger about 8am, and used it as I normally do, had the fitbit app running using the phones monitors, using it through the day to check twitter and G+ listening to music and podcasts for at least 4hours, haven't used it much this evening but sporadic checking and what not, and I am now on 57%.

Previous experience with the Nexus 5 I would be dead and buried right now, when I arrived home normally it would be on about 40% and would drain through out the evening.

Oh and its mixture of wi-fi and 4G signal, downloading on both

Here's a battery drain test clip for the M8 that shows some pretty impressive stats.

HTC One M8 Full Battery Drain Test (Time Lapse):

Thanked by 2:
    cizzlen likes this.

My battery life is perfect, on the HTC M8 for AT&T. I have a ritual on manageing any phone's battery consumption. I had moderate to, a couple of heavy usage sessions. I had my phone fully charged at 9am, yesterday, and am now at 43%! Amazing. People feel they shouldn't have to do anything to save battery. False. I did a trick on the M7, and intentionally only used it up to moderate at best. I made it to 26 hours I kid you not. This phone, even better, one more hour till 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AshtonVibe View Post
    My battery life is perfect, on the HTC M8 for AT&T. I have a ritual on manageing any phone's battery consumption. I had moderate to, a couple of heavy usage sessions. I had my phone fully charged at 9am, yesterday, and am now at 43%! Amazing. People feel they shouldn't have to do anything to save battery. False. I did a trick on the M7, and intentionally only used it up to moderate at best. I made it to 26 hours I kid you not. This phone, even better, one more hour till 24 hours.

You phone is lasting, but are you actively using it? For ex, what is your screen on time?
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

What's everyone getting for kernel use? Seems high to me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

comprehensive battery tests are in, and its quite good. HTC One (M8) battery life test - GSMArena Blog

HTC One (M8): Battery Life-gsmarena_002.jpg

On par with Note 3, near the top of the category.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510
    Thanked by 2:
    KoukiFC3S and cizzlen like this.

What is everyone seeing on stand by (6-8 hours)?

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    I am currently at 8 hours and 8 minutes with moderate usage and have 68% of my battery left. The battery life is very good.

I just switched from a Droid DNA, and I can tell you that I am usually at about 35% at this time of the day.

I am absolutely impressed.

I too switched over from the Droid DNA and can confirm this.

Battery life on the M8 is awesome so far.

Anyone switch from a Nexus 4 to an HTC One M8? I'm curious as to what the difference in battery life is and how long typically it will last longer.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,659 Global Posts

After a week of usage I'm now getting awesome battery life.

My Verizon M8 only gave 10 hours batttey life the first day out of the box. I freaked. Battery usage showed the dialer with 39% power usage. When I checked settings I found the dialer set to GLOBAL instead of CDMA/LTE. After changing this setting battery life is great. Thanks Verizon for charging me a setup fee on a phone that I have to tweak.
    cizzlen likes this.

Well screen on time usually is a huge factor on battery life.. So if someone uses less the battery may be good for them whereas someone who is on it a ton would say otherwise.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I have just received a software update 1.54.771.5 on my HTC One M8 this is on Three UK.

In the update says it has power saving up date, so am assuming this is finally the Extreme Power saving they talked about

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Well screen on time usually is a huge factor on battery life.. So if someone uses less the battery may be good for them whereas someone who is on it a ton would say otherwise.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Exactly, so personally from my perspective, when I see someone say that their battery last all day, but they barely use it (under 5 hours screen on time) it really doesn't show me that the battery is good.

I use anywhere between 2-5 hours screen on time on a day to day basis, depending on where I am, so to me a good battery is one that can last literally a whole day (24 hours) and maybe a couple more hours before it hits under 10%
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Exactly, so personally from my perspective, when I see someone say that their battery last all day, but they barely use it (under 5 hours screen on time) it really doesn't show me that the battery is good.

I use anywhere between 2-5 hours screen on time on a day to day basis, depending on where I am, so to me a good battery is one that can last literally a whole day (24 hours) and maybe a couple more hours before it hits under 10%
    Well I guess the battery test that used streaming videos is for you with that said this phone is getting 7hr in one test and 9hr web browsing time in another. So based on your requirements I would say this gets battery life

Quote Originally Posted by breugel View Post
    I normally cant make calls due to poor signal. I am happy
    So the cell reception is also improved?!

Quote Originally Posted by redrooster13 View Post
    So the cell reception is also improved?!

I can't comment on if it's improved over the m7 but I never had any problems with it, or the m8. So far the misconception that metal phones won't get good reception is disproved with the HTC One's

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery Life

Quote Originally Posted by jev425 View Post
    Can anyone comment on the stand-by time on the phone(overnight)

thanks!
    Even with location reporting disabled I lose between 6 and 9 percent overnight (8 hours standby)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast