HTC One (M8) hype

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think I would be more excited about the M8 if I hadn't grown to love the simplicity of the Moto X. The lack of "whistles and bells" and just having functional perks (assist, touchless, etc.) reality appeals to me.

What are your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: M8 hype

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I'm guessing it's too big for my tastes. It's taller than the OG HTC One and that was already a much bigger phone than the Moto X. Having front facing speakers adds to a phone's size, no way around it. I really like the Moto X's size for one handed operation and pocketability.

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you about the MX. Nearly all of the industry players have been engaged in a specs arms race over the last few years, and it has been hard to resist getting caught up in that as end-users. As Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, etc, competed to pump out phones that one upped each other's screen sizes, processors, and RAM, many of us in the Android community would scoff as Apple released yet another device with "subpar" specs. Then Moto suddenly released the X and showed us that a phone can be absolutely amazing and not have all the hardware bells and whistles. This thing is so dialed in that there is not a device on the market I would trade it for. I don't think I can live without Active Display and Touchless Control anymore. If the next version of the X has just a slightly larger screen and a better camera that will be my next phone.

The M8 seems to have great build quality but after my HORRIBLE experience with the Rezound I will not own another HTC device. After using and loving the Droid X back in the day Moto is now 2 for 2 with me. They've earned my loyalty. I just hope Lenovo doesn't mess with them too much.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I will say that brushed metal is probably the sexiest phone I've ever seen

-Eclipsed Moto X-

I agree...my buddy picked it up and I almost had to get it too...but I just kept looking at my X and said not yet. Hopefully the x2 hurrys up...and is available in a nice metal option. Although the X is built really well, I'm tired of plastic.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

It is even bigger and heavier than the M7 or previous model which was at my upper limit. If it was smaller, lighter had touchless control and active notifications... I would consider it, maybe a dev edition. But then it would be the X2

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

From what I seen so far it seems like the M8 is a nice phone.
Actually, The HTC and Moto X was the 2 phones that it came down to when I had to choose one.
But the Moto X is the perfect size for me.
I have had other phones where I didn't use all the features, but I too use all the features of my Moto X

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I will say that brushed metal is probably the sexiest phone I've ever seen
I agree with the metal being a fantastic look but I also agree with size and weight comments. I completely understand why the M8 appeals to people, but different people have different needs/wants.

Ultimately, I ordered the Moto X this week because I really liked the Moto G form factor but wanted touchless and LTE. We get bonuses at the end of the month, so I could easily afford any flagship phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I think the HTC one and S5 look great but I am happy with my moto x for now.

Metal does not do anything for me as I always use cases. The HTC one is 160 grams which would feel like a brick to me.

Sent from my Moto X!

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I'm in agreement with being tentative to ever get an HTC. I had great luck with the DINC and DINC2, but the rezound ruined everything, as well as the quick end of life on all of them. I also don't particularly care about finish since I put a case an almost right away.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Actually, The HTC and Moto X was the 2 phones that it came down to when I had to choose one.
I have had other phones where I didn't use all the features, but I too use all the features of my Moto X

One vs X was my choice too.
It's a lot of choice there, but for me it was
Form Factor + Vanilla OS + Battery + Radios
vs.
Speakers + Camera + Screen
I took pretty much all the other factors off the table for my own decision.
I know I made the right choice for me, but everybody values different things. From what I've seen of HTC's update history with the One and reviews of the last + the new one, I wouldn't dissuade someone else from giving it a go.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Obviously the One has great pedigree,
I mean it was in the running as phone of the year two years in a row.
Being beat out by the X last year...
Perhaps it's just me but the one was a touch to large, so the M8 is out of the question.
Goodness, the N5 is a bit to large for me.
Don't know what the X could do to make me upgrade.
Maybe a bump for camera focus and steal Nokia's thunder.
Wireless charging....That's about it.
Wondering what could make the X better...
having to think about it is a good thing.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

My phone for two years until I got my X was a Rezound. It actually was a pretty decent device for my needs, didn't have any problems with running or functionality. Just the lack of updates. I still have it in fact, though it functions as a wifi only device since the phone was deactivated, and it does have two features the X doesn't; a swappable battery and SD card support. As for the M8, I actively considered its predecessor as an alternative, along with the LG G2, so I have no desire to try to turn people away from those phones if that's what appeals to them. It's great that there are different flavors of smartphone in the Androidiverse, with varied strengths and form factors.

fixerdude

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I've owned HTC, LG, Samsung, Blackberry and now Moto X phones. I have to say the Moto X is a simply but robust phone with quality parts. All my other phones have cheap & low quality parts. I've had bad experiences with HTC & LG phones. So I try not to waste my money on HTC & LG phones.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The N5 is perfect for me, plastic yet sturdy, screen is 5" but much smaller package than the M8. Only real complaint is the camera interface and slowness to focus, at times. However, it can produce excellent pics and the HDR+ mode is fantastic.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The only phone I've looked at since getting the x is the lg g2. That's the only one that intrigues me. I had the s3...honestly the s5 doesn't even seem that much different. I had the bionic and swore off moto but I'm glad I gave the moto x a shot...

Oh as far as the new one M8... Or whatever... They didn't improve camera much and it has a metal case still. How is this any different than what the s5 did.... But the new one M8 is not getting near the hate. Screw any phone that doesn't have active notifications or touchless controls.... Moto x owns!

Posted via my Moto X DE

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The N5 is perfect for me, plastic yet sturdy, screen is 5" but much smaller package than the M8. Only real complaint is the camera interface and slowness to focus, at times. However, it can produce excellent pics and the HDR+ mode is fantastic.

The soft touch plastic combined with the size and weight of the Nexus 5 make it every bit as appealing as the M8 build-wise. The screen is easily on par with the M8. The processor difference is negligible. The camera is more capable than the M8, although the M8 focuses faster and has a more intuitive UI. I'll take the more consistent results over the faster focus. I'd say battery life is the only thing, and that's debatable, that's significantly in the M8s favor.

No shame in losing to the Nexus 5, though; it's pretty great.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

The soft touch plastic combined with the size and weight of the Nexus 5 make it every bit as appealing as the M8 build-wise. The screen is easily on par with the M8. The processor difference is negligible. The camera is more capable than the M8, although the M8 focuses faster and has a more intuitive UI. I'll take the more consistent results over the faster focus. I'd say battery life is the only thing, and that's debatable, that's significantly in the M8s favor.

No shame in losing to the Nexus 5, though; it's pretty great.

I have no issues with the N5 battery. It easily gets me thru a day. But if I use the phone hard, it will die quickly.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the M8 the day of launch to which I received it next day. I did this as I really enjoyed the original HTC One but skipped it for the N4. After a few hours use of the M8 I can confirm its probably the best looking phone on the market today IMHO, and I got the gunmetal grey colour with that brushed hairline finish which really sets it off. As for the size it is quite on the tall side which I understand some people will have a gripe with. Screen is nice but I prefer the N5 all day long which I have. The M8 camera isn't as good but I missed stock android so bad already I have switched back to my N5. Its like a love hate affair its crazy.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

biggeek

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I was on the fence between the two models as well, and size/feel ended up being the kicker. The Moto X was more comfortable and it didn't feel like it was going to slide out of my grip.

Later on, like you, I have come to reply on and enjoy a lot of the Moto X features more than I expected.

I'm not a phone fan boi by any means, but I suspect I will keep my Moto X until it drops dead.