Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Camera: HTC One (M8) vs HTC Thunderbolt

    How can it be that the Thunderbolt camera...the FIRST 4g smartphone is better than the Htc One M8 or M7 cameras? And I mean 100% better no exaggeration. This just boggles my mind. Htc whyyyy!!!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-27-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
    Tim VeePee likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbman View Post
    How can it be that the Thunderbolt camera...the FIRST 4g smartphone is better than the Htc One M8 or M7 cameras? And I mean 100% better no exaggeration. This just boggles my mind. Htc whyyyy!!!
    How many MP does the T-bolt have?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    How many MP does the T-bolt have?
    8...and it is solid. Actually one of the best parts of the Thunderbolt.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
    Tim VeePee likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbman View Post
    8...and it is solid. Actually one of the best parts of the Thunderbolt.
    That explains it. More MP, more detail captured in the shot.
    Tim VeePee likes this.
  5. #5  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    6,412 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    The t-bold did have a great camera for the time - it's a Froyo to Gingerbread device but the software did over-saturate some colors pretty consistently.

    Here are a few photos I took with it, both very much just point and shoot - no shot setup or settings, etc:




    Obviously I can get better photos by taking my time and using settings, but kids don't sit still for that sort of thing. By 2013/2014 standards these photos are not very good quality (and that's mostly the methodology, not the hardware/software) but by 2011 standards when I bought the tbolt this wasn't that bad at all. I will caveat all of that by saying that all of the photos that turned out really well during those years were taken on a Sony camera that was much better than any phone's camera that I've ever seen. We use cameras in phones for the things that either don't matter or are happening a little too "right now" to go find the dedicated camera. Those images can be important too though, and having something 100% of the "right now" shots turn out terrible is not an option.

    Oh, and low light on the HTC One was absolute garbage - even with the "dual LED flash".
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Comparison?

    Wasn't the Thunderbolt camera just the OG EVO's?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    I would have to completely disagree, I think even the m7 has the ability to take better pictures than the t bolt. The m8's camera is a major improvement over the m7 and do their can take even better pictures.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I would have to completely disagree, I think even the m7 has the ability to take better pictures than the t bolt. The m8's camera is a major improvement over the m7 and do their can take even better pictures.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Inside it might be close. Outside...the Thunderbolt destroys both "One" cameras. It is not even close. Htc is going backwards when it comes to the camera portion of phones. I on not expect a DSLR....just something as good from the best cell phone camera from maybe 2012 or so. Iphone 4, 4s, Thunderbolt, Galaxy S3, Note 2 or 3.....etc...etc.....etc..........
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Do you own the m8? I have the t bolt, m7, and the m8 and from my conclusion the m8 has the best camera by far.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    From what I've read at credible sites like Anandtech...HTC's collapse in market share and lack of financial wherewithal has forced them to cut corners including camera components. Samsung and Apple have distinct advantages in this area.
  11. #11  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    From what I've read at credible sites like Anandtech...HTC's collapse in market share and lack of financial wherewithal has forced them to cut corners including camera components. Samsung and Apple have distinct advantages in this area.
    If that is true wouldn't they have just used last year's module?

    I don't have my M8 yet so can't compare the pictures to my current phone which is the HTC EVO LTE. The EVO takes excellent pictures outside and I will do some side by side comparisons. I am one of those people who use a real camera when I can but rely on my phone to take spur of the moment shots.

    Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk 4 Pro.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    If that is true wouldn't they have just used last year's module?

    I don't have my M8 yet so can't compare the pictures to my current phone which is the HTC EVO LTE. The EVO takes excellent pictures outside and I will do some side by side comparisons. I am one of those people who use a real camera when I can but rely on my phone to take spur of the moment shots.

    Sent from my HTC EVOLTE using Tapatalk 4 Pro.
    From the AnandTech review:

    "the One’s primary camera sensor remains unchanged from last year’s model. The M8’s primary shooter is a 4MP “UltraPixel” camera with 2.0m square pixels. As Brian (correctly) theorized last year, there were two sources for HTC’s UltraPixel camera: ST (VD68969) and OmniVision (OV4688), the latter being the limited second source. Due to quality control problems with the ST sensor the M8, like later models of the M7, uses the OmniVision sensor exclusively. The entire module is almost identical to what we saw last year in the M7, with one notable exception: it no longer has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization). Dropping OIS was likely due to a combination of cost and performance concerns"

    "The story of last year’s One revolved around HTC’s decision to use a larger format 4MP camera sensor instead of moving to a higher megapixel sensor with smaller pixels. It was a polarizing tradeoff, but one that was somewhat validated by Apple with its choice of maintaining resolution but increasing pixel/sensor size with the 5s. The most obvious fix for those who had issues with the lack of spatial resolution with last year’s One would be to go to a higher resolution sensor, without going as far as Samsung and LG. Unfortunately, without the buying power of a company like Apple, HTC is left to pick from those sensors that are more widely available. In other words, options are limited."
  13. #13  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    I can guarantee you right now that it most definitely is not the same sensor. I am literally holding last year's one and this year's one. Taking pictures with both it is clear that the m8's camera is a lot better

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I can guarantee you right now that it most definitely is not the same sensor. I am literally holding last year's one and this year's one. Taking pictures with both it is clear that the m8's camera is a lot better

    Posted via Android Central App
    Are you certain that can't be the result of software/processing? AandTech does a tear down to see the actual components and they talk to people inside HTC.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    There is no way that it's just on the software side. If that were the case they could have updated the m7 to take better pics

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    There is no way that it's just on the software side. If that were the case they could have updated the m7 to take better pics

    Posted via Android Central App
    Read the article...it's combo of a better/faster processor, software and the addition of the 2nd rear sensor. The main rear 4.1 sensor is largely unchanged.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Largely unchanged still means it was changed

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    Do you own the m8? I have the t bolt, m7, and the m8 and from my conclusion the m8 has the best camera by far.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Had the M7 for a month then sold it. Camera made me nuts. LOVED the design, build, speakers.....But a camera on a phone is important to me. I am just asking for a 2012 top quality camera to be on a 2014 phone. C'mon Htc!!!
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: Htc Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    You can give the piece of doody (camera) a nice dress, perfume, make up, new shoes at the end of the day...still a piece of doody (bad camera)!!
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
  20. #20  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    So you are bashing the m8 camera, even though you have never even touched the device? Haters gonna hate...

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    So you are bashing the m8 camera, even though you have never even touched the device? Haters gonna hate...

    Posted via Android Central App
    My brother in law picked one up. To be clear I HATE the camera, yes, but I LOVE the phone. Just that the camera is really important to me. I can deal with the Samsung plastic and sub par speakers...if it means the camera is in line with a modern smart phone.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try)
  22. #22  

    Default

    After seeing these results from the M8, I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt can do this... Especially with the old camera software it's using. These look darn good to me.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewi...7642913906483/

    Edit: I challenge anyone to post shots from the Thunderbolt that are on par with these. Please don't just say moar pixels = better quality, there are other aspects of a composition to be taken into account.

    Posted via Android Central App
  23. #23  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    It has been established that you are not happy with the camera. To say that it is a bad camera is not true, you just don't like it and that's ok, you are entitled to your own opinion.

    End of discussion

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by Habiib View Post
    After seeing these results from the M8, I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt can do this... Especially with the old camera software it's using. These look darn good to me.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/phonewi...7642913906483/

    Posted via Android Central App
    Case in point, a lot of other people are perfectly happy with the camera.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt Camera vs "The One"

    Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    Read the article...it's combo of a better/faster processor, software and the addition of the 2nd rear sensor. The main rear 4.1 sensor is largely unchanged.
    There are side-by-side comparisons online that show a significant difference. If you're interested, they're out there, but it seems you're more interested in spending your day smearing this phone on the forums. Also, MP rating does not dictate detail. They kept the MP rating low intentionally because it allows low-light shots (the kind most people are taking, in their homes, on a daily basis) to collect more detail. They talked about this two years ago when they released the One X and I've been hoping they would be gutsy enough to go for a lower MP cam on this one. Based on the photos I've seen, it has worked out very well. I'm eager to buy one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. One Device (Tegra Note 7) Will Not Connect to Chromecast
    By Benton Trerise in forum Google Chromecast
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 02:24 AM
  2. Just got the HTC One (M8)
    By Braini4c in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM
  3. Camera: HTC One (M8) vs Olympus D40 point-and-shoot
    By CarrierPigeon in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
  4. Nokia Lumia 1520 VS Note 3 - My Experience!
    By H3aTeRzz in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions