Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 156
Like Tree11Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    There's nothing worse than spending countless hours/days customizing your phone, all to be told to do a hard reset! Screw that! That's the ONE complaint I've always had about Verizon. If they can't figure out a problem immediately, the answer is ALWAYS to do a hard reset. Not cool.
    SD1_Mark1 likes this.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    I'm with AT&T and I'm experiencing the problem... ;(
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    BoB_BaRkEr187's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Tried the Messages trick and still no luck, even force stopped the app, unchecked the notifications icon in the app and disabled it.

    So frustrating!
  4. #54  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by haevolution View Post
    Just tried in safe mode still doesn't work. Even enabled the Verizon messaging app and doesn't work with that either.

    I did the factory reset and voila! it works. Thought it would be a hassle but then I remembered all the apps that installed that I didn't want on the HTC such as Samsung apps from my S4 and Tab Pro 8.4. Now I can cherry pick which apps I want on the phone.
    As good as auto-restore sounds (in theory), it's a pain when you have all these OEMs filling up the phones with their own special apps... I don't even bother using the restore anymore because of all those random apps on my account history that I don't want to bother clearing out.

    But glad it all worked out for you!
  5. #55  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    As good as auto-restore sounds (in theory), it's a pain when you have all these OEMs filling up the phones with their own special apps... I don't even bother using the restore anymore because of all those random apps on my account history that I don't want to bother clearing out.

    But glad it all worked out for you!
    Just skip the step about restoring the apps - that's what fixed it for me anyway. When I setup the phone the first time I let it restore apps and of course it installed the crap from my Samsung devices. If you skip that step you only get the stuff that was on the phone originally and then you can add whichever apps you chose.
  6. #56  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by haevolution View Post
    Just skip the step about restoring the apps - that's what fixed it for me anyway. When I setup the phone the first time I let it restore apps and of course it installed the crap from my Samsung devices. If you skip that step you only get the stuff that was on the phone originally and then you can add whichever apps you chose.
    Yeah that's what I do too.

    I think the problem is people are selecting Backup and Restore which, for some reason, is messing with the Notification LED. Perhaps a rogue app or something.
  7. #57  
    SD1_Mark1's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.2 stable

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Last thing I want to do for my Verizon M8 is start from scratch after spending a week customizing it. I did get mine at a Verizon store and the gal had the phone out and was "doing stuff" to it. I didn't realize that she was going through the setup which, at the time, I thought was nice of her but would have preferred to do myself. Then she handed me the phone and told me to put in my Google account which I did. But I didn't think to not do a restore. I've also disabled the Verizon Messenger Plus app after a Force Stop but still no joy. The LED does however work for low battery. Just no apps. Sigh. FIX IT HTC!!!
  8. #58  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by SD1_Mark1 View Post
    Last thing I want to do for my Verizon M8 is start from scratch after spending a week customizing it. I did get mine at a Verizon store and the gal had the phone out and was "doing stuff" to it. I didn't realize that she was going through the setup which, at the time, I thought was nice of her but would have preferred to do myself. Then she handed me the phone and told me to put in my Google account which I did. But I didn't think to not do a restore. I've also disabled the Verizon Messenger Plus app after a Force Stop but still no joy. The LED does however work for low battery. Just no apps. Sigh. FIX IT HTC!!!
    Lol good luck with that - I guess miracles could happen....
  9. #59  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    I guess that the saving grace is that after a few days of no lights I find myself a little freed up. I check for things when I feel like it, which is often, LOL, and I'm not ruled by a flashing light...
    MrRicks84 likes this.
  10. #60  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    My Sprint HTC m8's led light isn't working either. That's the one thing I miss from my galaxy note 2.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    if that's the biggest gripe about this phone im gonna buy..who cares about the damn led light..no wonder the work ethic in this country is chit...everybody is spending all there time waiting for there light to blink...come on! really.. what is so important? im sure u don't like the blink for the text that your bill is overdue...lol
  12. #62  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by budlight-budlight View Post
    if that's the biggest gripe about this phone im gonna buy..who cares about the damn led light..no wonder the work ethic in this country is chit...everybody is spending all there time waiting for there light to blink...come on! really.. what is so important? im sure u don't like the blink for the text that your bill is overdue...lol
    I'm used to having it on my old phone . It's really convenient but the phone is great.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    LOL
  14. #64  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    My unlocked version's LED seems to only work when it feels like it. Not a deal breaker though.
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

    Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

    Android Addict
  15. #65  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by budlight-budlight View Post
    if that's the biggest gripe about this phone im gonna buy..who cares about the damn led light..no wonder the work ethic in this country is chit...everybody is spending all there time waiting for there light to blink...come on! really.. what is so important? im sure u don't like the blink for the text that your bill is overdue...lol
    It's a PITA and one of the many flaws of this phone. The radios suck compared to the S4 both voice and data. Battery life is pretty miserable too. Nice try HTC. S5 is going to crush this overweight POS.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    BoB_BaRkEr187's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by haevolution View Post
    It's a PITA and one of the many flaws of this phone. The radios suck compared to the S4 both voice and data. Battery life is pretty miserable too. Nice try HTC. S5 is going to crush this overweight POS.
    I have to disagree about the battery life. Mine is fantastic.
  17. #67  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by BoB_BaRkEr187 View Post
    I have to disagree about the battery life. Mine is fantastic.
    I have to recant that remark anyway - after the first couple of charges it has gotten lots better. I ran the GPS for two hours biking yesterday and it didn't even use 20% of the battery. At least on par with the GS4 if not better. The radios still stink.
  18. #68  
    WarER4X's Avatar

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    I just picked up my M8 today. The notification light works fine, but only when the charger is not plugged in. I would consider that a bug (no notification LED while the charging LED is on). One thing I like about this LED is that it is easy to see, but small enough that it doesn't demand my attention from the corner of my eye. I'm still waiting for it to stop blinking after 5 minutes (as everyone says it will do) and it started about a half an hour ago. Are we sure this model has a 5 minute time-out? As for the color, if green is the only color it blinks (besides the orange charge light), that's fine with me. The multi-color light has never been something I've taken advantage of. It was always just an available setting that I would fiddle with for a while, then go back to one color again (or whatever the default was for a specific app, like 'blue' for Facebook Messenger).

    -SR-
  19. #69  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Ok everyone, I have THE answer to your problems. Now, considering this may be different for some, on their old phones, thats for you to know.
    Anyways, the notification flash works as intended. A notification flash works by telling you there is a nee alert, when you are not using your phone (ie, when the screen is off). Those of you testing your work, have the screen ON while your waiting for the LED flash. Therefore it appears to not work. The LED is unnecessary when you have the screen on. When your on the phone, you get the icon, hear an alert tone, and even the vibrate. With the Mail app, it checks the server, at most, in as little as five minutes. So, you must test the mail LED flash, with the screen OFF, and wait at least five minutes. Also make sure your volume isnt on silent. If it is, your phone senses you don't want to be bothered at all, so off goes the LED flash too.
    Lastly, the LED flash isnt necessarily for apps, however you can manage this in the apps themselves. Notice how is says Mail, and not Gmail.
  20. #70  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Oh, good news, even on silent, LED works. Heres a way to test, and with the phone NOT charging. Send your self a text, and quickly turn off screen (ie go into sleep mode). Mail: set your sync settings to manual, then pull down to refresh and jump into sleep mode. Voicemail: send VM or have someone call you, and WITH the screen off. Don't touch the power button, until the VM message makes it to the phone.
  21. #71  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Ha, even better news! Im trying different things. So, the LED notification flash doesnt flash while charging, BUT take it off the charger, and leave the phone screen off. In a few seconds, out comes the flash. So all in all, you should all be taken care of, but check your settings. Check Do Not Disturb mode (is it on a scheduel?). Are sounds on? I even had sounds off, and the LED works. Task killers and battery savers installed with their, "turn off all sounds and notifications" settings?
  22. #72  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    I think most of us are bright enough to realize you aren't going to get a notification if your screen is on. No matter what I did I could not get the message notification to light up. The ONLY solution was to do a restore and manually install apps, i.e. don't allow Google to restore previously installed apps automatically.
  23. #73  
    WarER4X's Avatar

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Looks like I was mistaken about the light timeout thing. It seems other notification came in at that time that I didn't know about and kept the light going. I just got a Facebook Messenger notification and the light stopped blinking after 5 minutes. :-/ I thinks that's a pretty silly design decision. I can't imagine it saves that much battery.

    -SR-

    Quote Originally Posted by WarER4X View Post
    I just picked up my M8 today. The notification light works fine, but only when the charger is not plugged in. I would consider that a bug (no notification LED while the charging LED is on). One thing I like about this LED is that it is easy to see, but small enough that it doesn't demand my attention from the corner of my eye. I'm still waiting for it to stop blinking after 5 minutes (as everyone says it will do) and it started about a half an hour ago. Are we sure this model has a 5 minute time-out? As for the color, if green is the only color it blinks (besides the orange charge light), that's fine with me. The multi-color light has never been something I've taken advantage of. It was always just an available setting that I would fiddle with for a while, then go back to one color again (or whatever the default was for a specific app, like 'blue' for Facebook Messenger).

    -SR-
  24. #74  

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by WarER4X View Post
    Looks like I was mistaken about the light timeout thing. It seems other notification came in at that time that I didn't know about and kept the light going. I just got a Facebook Messenger notification and the light stopped blinking after 5 minutes. :-/ I thinks that's a pretty silly design decision. I can't imagine it saves that much battery.

    -SR-
    Maybe there's some research somewhere that shows that if someone doesn't respond to a notification light/vibration after 5 minutes, then there's no point to continue doing it. After 5 minutes, the next time someone grabs the phone they'll probably just turn it on.

    Just a guess, as, like you said, I don't think the battery is really benefiting.
  25. #75  
    WarER4X's Avatar

    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

    Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    Maybe there's some research somewhere that shows that if someone doesn't respond to a notification light/vibration after 5 minutes, then there's no point to continue doing it. After 5 minutes, the next time someone grabs the phone they'll probably just turn it on.

    Just a guess, as, like you said, I don't think the battery is really benefiting.
    I wondered that myself. I know that I often check my phone out of habit if I haven't looked for a while. The upside is that I'm less likely to wake up at 3 AM and see a mysterious blinking light eminating from the side of my bed. Of course, there's a charging light on this phone that I can't turn off. Fortunately, it's not nearly as bright as when the notification blinks.

    -SR-
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy S4 says it's charging but it's NOT! Please Help!
    By cberry30 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
  2. Spotify/GooglePlay songs do not play, sometimes...
    By JoshKt in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM
  3. battery life. was great, now not so much
    By 4m0wagen in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 02:10 AM
  4. HBOGo app not working on GS4 and Nexus 7 2013
    By bobbob1016 in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
  5. Help about Tablet doesn't work in 3G
    By umby75fg in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions