HTC One (M8): Notification LED not working

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
if that's the biggest gripe about this phone im gonna buy..who cares about the damn led light..no wonder the work ethic in this country is chit...everybody is spending all there time waiting for there light to blink...come on! really.. what is so important? im sure u don't like the blink for the text that your bill is overdue...lol

xelafred3987

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
if that's the biggest gripe about this phone im gonna buy..who cares about the damn led light..no wonder the work ethic in this country is chit...everybody is spending all there time waiting for there light to blink...come on! really.. what is so important? im sure u don't like the blink for the text that your bill is overdue...lol

I'm used to having it on my old phone . It's really convenient but the phone is great.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

It's a PITA and one of the many flaws of this phone. The radios suck compared to the S4 both voice and data. Battery life is pretty miserable too. Nice try HTC. S5 is going to crush this overweight POS.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree about the battery life. Mine is fantastic.

I have to recant that remark anyway - after the first couple of charges it has gotten lots better. I ran the GPS for two hours biking yesterday and it didn't even use 20% of the battery. At least on par with the GS4 if not better. The radios still stink.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up my M8 today. The notification light works fine, but only when the charger is not plugged in. I would consider that a bug (no notification LED while the charging LED is on). One thing I like about this LED is that it is easy to see, but small enough that it doesn't demand my attention from the corner of my eye. I'm still waiting for it to stop blinking after 5 minutes (as everyone says it will do) and it started about a half an hour ago. Are we sure this model has a 5 minute time-out? As for the color, if green is the only color it blinks (besides the orange charge light), that's fine with me. The multi-color light has never been something I've taken advantage of. It was always just an available setting that I would fiddle with for a while, then go back to one color again (or whatever the default was for a specific app, like 'blue' for Facebook Messenger).

-SR-

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok everyone, I have THE answer to your problems. Now, considering this may be different for some, on their old phones, thats for you to know.
Anyways, the notification flash works as intended. A notification flash works by telling you there is a nee alert, when you are not using your phone (ie, when the screen is off). Those of you testing your work, have the screen ON while your waiting for the LED flash. Therefore it appears to not work. The LED is unnecessary when you have the screen on. When your on the phone, you get the icon, hear an alert tone, and even the vibrate. With the Mail app, it checks the server, at most, in as little as five minutes. So, you must test the mail LED flash, with the screen OFF, and wait at least five minutes. Also make sure your volume isnt on silent. If it is, your phone senses you don't want to be bothered at all, so off goes the LED flash too.
Lastly, the LED flash isnt necessarily for apps, however you can manage this in the apps themselves. Notice how is says Mail, and not Gmail.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, good news, even on silent, LED works. Heres a way to test, and with the phone NOT charging. Send your self a text, and quickly turn off screen (ie go into sleep mode). Mail: set your sync settings to manual, then pull down to refresh and jump into sleep mode. Voicemail: send VM or have someone call you, and WITH the screen off. Don't touch the power button, until the VM message makes it to the phone.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ha, even better news! Im trying different things. So, the LED notification flash doesnt flash while charging, BUT take it off the charger, and leave the phone screen off. In a few seconds, out comes the flash. So all in all, you should all be taken care of, but check your settings. Check Do Not Disturb mode (is it on a scheduel?). Are sounds on? I even had sounds off, and the LED works. Task killers and battery savers installed with their, "turn off all sounds and notifications" settings?

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think most of us are bright enough to realize you aren't going to get a notification if your screen is on. No matter what I did I could not get the message notification to light up. The ONLY solution was to do a restore and manually install apps, i.e. don't allow Google to restore previously installed apps automatically.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I was mistaken about the light timeout thing. It seems other notification came in at that time that I didn't know about and kept the light going. I just got a Facebook Messenger notification and the light stopped blinking after 5 minutes. :-/ I thinks that's a pretty silly design decision. I can't imagine it saves that much battery.

-SR-

I just picked up my M8 today. The notification light works fine, but only when the charger is not plugged in. I would consider that a bug (no notification LED while the charging LED is on). One thing I like about this LED is that it is easy to see, but small enough that it doesn't demand my attention from the corner of my eye. I'm still waiting for it to stop blinking after 5 minutes (as everyone says it will do) and it started about a half an hour ago. Are we sure this model has a 5 minute time-out? As for the color, if green is the only color it blinks (besides the orange charge light), that's fine with me. The multi-color light has never been something I've taken advantage of. It was always just an available setting that I would fiddle with for a while, then go back to one color again (or whatever the default was for a specific app, like 'blue' for Facebook Messenger).

-SR-

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I was mistaken about the light timeout thing. It seems other notification came in at that time that I didn't know about and kept the light going. I just got a Facebook Messenger notification and the light stopped blinking after 5 minutes. :-/ I thinks that's a pretty silly design decision. I can't imagine it saves that much battery.

-SR-

Maybe there's some research somewhere that shows that if someone doesn't respond to a notification light/vibration after 5 minutes, then there's no point to continue doing it. After 5 minutes, the next time someone grabs the phone they'll probably just turn it on.

Just a guess, as, like you said, I don't think the battery is really benefiting.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe there's some research somewhere that shows that if someone doesn't respond to a notification light/vibration after 5 minutes, then there's no point to continue doing it. After 5 minutes, the next time someone grabs the phone they'll probably just turn it on.

Just a guess, as, like you said, I don't think the battery is really benefiting.

I wondered that myself. I know that I often check my phone out of habit if I haven't looked for a while. The upside is that I'm less likely to wake up at 3 AM and see a mysterious blinking light eminating from the side of my bed. Of course, there's a charging light on this phone that I can't turn off. Fortunately, it's not nearly as bright as when the notification blinks.

-SR-

aramos87

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an At&t model and mine seems to work just fine for notification's, but it doesn't seem to work when I am in an active phone call, can anyone verify that is the way it is supposed to work? or should I take it in?

Giuliano Mazzina

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Wow, talk about people on the hate train. Its a small software bug that will no doubt get fixed. I love how people are quick to say "I'm going to get the S5, what a fail HTC" as if HTC intended this to happen. Stop being a bunch of complaining twats and wait for a patch. I don't have a working notification LED but guess what, its still an amazing phone.

Giuliano Mazzina

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's a PITA and one of the many flaws of this phone. The radios suck compared to the S4 both voice and data. Battery life is pretty miserable too. Nice try HTC. S5 is going to crush this overweight POS.

My wife has (soon to be had) an S4 and the radios are crap in that phone. The battery life is very good in this phone. I've had the S3, my wife's S4 and my latest phone was the Note 3. I'm sorry, but after getting the M8, I feel like I've been missing out on something good.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife has (soon to be had) an S4 and the radios are crap in that phone. The battery life is very good in this phone. I've had the S3, my wife's S4 and my latest phone was the Note 3. I'm sorry, but after getting the M8, I feel like I've been missing out on something good.

Yes I posted that vitriol but I have turned the corner with this phone and learned to love it. Most of the short comings I initially noted have been addressed:

LED - had to do a full restore but it worked. Sorry this is 2014 and the LED should notify me if I missed a call or have a message. No and/if/buts about it.

Data Radio - turns out it was the craptastic Chrome browser that was slow! After root and installing HTC browser its pretty snappy.

Battery Life - I was a bit quick to judge here also. After a few charge cycles and removing the bloat (not that there was much on the phone) the battery life is good. I can get two days out of it. Not as good as the last S4 I had which got up to three days but I can live with two.

Voice Radio - turns out the phone has to be held "a certain way" for people to hear you. Must be something to do with the microphone. Anyway I learned to deal with it. There was a certain place on the drive home that my S4 always cut out and it hasn't happened with the M8 so far.

Weight - well I dropped it the other day and shaved a few hundreds of an ounce from the dings on the corners so its lighter now!!!!

TheGreatUnknown

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Mine just stopped working randomly. Happened with my M7 too and had to restore. I love my setup, and would rather not restore. Only second day with this phone :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance