Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon HTC One (M8): SIM card error?

I got the new HTC One (M8) the day it came out. I kept getting a Sim error icon pop up and then across the bottom a "Preparing SIM card." This happened approximately 10 times until I took it back and they swapped out the SIM card assuming that to be the problem. It happened almost immediately thereafter at random intervals (unable to manually replicate it) numerous times so I bought the phone back again. This time they swapped out the phone entirely. Guess what? Same problem! So I went back. The tech guy said to give it 24 hours and see if it's still doing it (sounds like a "did you try rebooting" solution). It's now been about 20 hours and I just saw it happen again (although, must admit, with much less frequency). If this error pops up while I'm on a call, it disconnects the call.

I love the phone, but I hate to say it, the phone literally doesn't work and I've tried two of them and I've only been an owner for two days!

Anyone else having this problem? Solution?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-27-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): SIM card error....anyone else having this problem?

yep my sim is not recognized at all. returning phone

Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): SIM card error....anyone else having this problem?

I'm at vzw right now. Here to swap out my second HTC one m8. Will let you know if I get the same problem on my third!

Ahhh...welcome to HTC and Verizon. Both the HTC One M7 and the DNA both had this issue...and it was fairly widespread as nearly everyone I knew with the devices had it at some point. It has to be some sort of issue with how Verizon provisions SIMs. Good luck with those phones guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    Ahhh...welcome to HTC and Verizon. Both the HTC One M7 and the DNA both had this issue...and it was fairly widespread as nearly everyone I knew with the devices had it at some point. It has to be some sort of issue with how Verizon provisions SIMs. Good luck with those phones guys.
    They said they don't provision SIM cards and has no clue how to fix this. Since I can't replicate it on call they won't swap it out again and will only offer a new SIM card.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So because Verizon couldn't replicate the issue on demand, all they were able to do was give me a new SIM card. But, as expected, today, the same error came up. HTC really needs to step up and deal with this issue. It's clearly a common enough problem and because it's random, Verizon won't do anything about it.

Anyone know how I should deal with this? I'll ditch the phone if I have to, but don't want to have to pay a restocking fee which I will have to pay since I can't replicate the error on demand.

Also getting random sim card read error from time to time...and wifi issues. Also my phone was covered in fingerprints on the screen and camera right out of the sealed box. Thats what you get when you buy from a manufacturer thats almost out of business.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Re: Verizon HTC One (M8): SIM card error?

Yeah HTC dropped the ball. They are sending me a new SIM holder so I'll let you know if that fixes it but what I think is happening is that the SIM chip is not properly shielded from EM interference. So if you work next to something that is blasting out em (in my case it's a garbage laptop we got for 150 bucks years ago) it is enough to interfere with the SIM and make it lose connection. Once lost, it realizes it's attached and reconnected. I've come to this conclusion because I NEVER get this SIM error anywhere other than in my office and within 5 feet of this laptop. So my conclusion is improper shielding. That being said, I could be 100% wrong and jumping to fallacious conclusions.
    Thanked by:
    Lolken21 likes this.

Definitely keep us posted, I can still return mine but I really like the phone...I just have really bad experiences with HTC..and I want to know if I should just return it and never buy a device from them again.

did anyone find the fix for this, i am starting to get this also, really hate it when im watching a movie or tv show online and it kicks me out and says preparing sim card....bs
    do you think it has anything to do with the fact that i still have unlimited data and using up a whole lot of it.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Sorry to hear that you all are having this problem. I have a Verizon M8 since Day 1 and have not had any SIM Card errors whatsoever. If you can't find help here, then I would also check the XDA Developers website. There's a wealth of technical knowledge there.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

So this issue just started happening for me the other day. However, I noticed that it kept doing it when I was either receiving text messages or viewing text messages. Although it didn't make much sense to me, I decided to start deleting texts to see if for some reason there was a correlation between the two. I had a ton of texts (probably in the thousands). Once I deleted majority of my text history the issue stopped immediately.

Whether that was random or it fixed it I'm not sure. But I haven't had the issue since.
    Currently using:
    HTC One M8 - Gunmetal
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

So I finally got a new SIM card tray from HTC. Due to unrelated shipping issues it took forever to get it. Granted it's only been one day but so far so good. Will keep you posted if any errors pop up.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I just got an error. I guess a new tray didn't do the trick. It's definitely happening a lot less though. Still, in 2014 this is not an issue we should have to be dealing with HTC!

I have the exact same issue with my HTC one M8, so it seems the Danish phones suffer, from this very anoying problem aswell.... I took it back to the shop, and they shipped it of to a repair center.

I am having this same exact issues started about 2 days ago. I know someone else who is have the similar issue. I called HTC they're sending me out a place holder as well. They better find a way to fix this issue or it's going to be bad. I don't want to continue going back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by reykjavik View Post
    I just got an error. I guess a new tray didn't do the trick. It's definitely happening a lot less though. Still, in 2014 this is not an issue we should have to be dealing with HTC!
    ALL phone manufactures have issues with their phones, especially right after they launch it. I'm not saying you can't be mad, but issues like this are not only made by HTC.

Check out the s5, cameras failing all over the place. Sony z2 overheating issues. It happens. No company can ever make a flawless product. Look at GM recalling over 2 million cars due to a faulty ignition that they knew about and still sold cars with. It happens

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
    Thanked by 2:
    droidman2177 and Lolken21 like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I understand. When everything is said and done the problem has largely gone away since the OS update and the new SIM tray and otherwise I love the phone so I have relatively few complaints. Won't stop me from complaining tho

Yeah you have a point, but coming from the HTC one m7 which had no issues at all. I am not used to experiencing this. I was hoping for a product that would be similar or better which is why I upgraded.

Which OS update are you speaking about?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I don't recall off hand the exact update but it was mentioned as a post on android central so if you do a search you should find it. However, I'm on VZW so if you're not, it's possible there hasn't been an update for your phone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by reykjavik View Post
    I don't recall off hand the exact update but it was mentioned as a post on android central so if you do a search you should find it. However, I'm on VZW so if you're not, it's possible there hasn't been an update for your phone yet.
    Yeah, I am on Verizon had an update about a week ago or something like that. Might be that same update.

I have the update from vzw and still getting this error. Wife also gets it on her m8. We notice we get it when we send a picture via text. Anything we can do besides get a new sim (which doesnt seem to fix the problem) or new tray (which also doesnt seem to fix the problem).
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

The last time I got the error was when I initiated a phone call. Other than that I can't find one action that triggers it. At this point, I can't tell if it's even a hardware or software issue. The only connection I can make is that I've never received the error while in my residence. In fact, I've never received an error anywhere other than while in my office/office bathroom which makes me think it may be an EM intereference issue which still doesn't really tell me if it's a hardware or software issue.

In other words, I'm clueless!

Sounds like days of the DNA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast