Camera: HTC One (M8) vs Olympus D40 point-and-shoot

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The One M8 camera is worse than my 2002 Olympus point-and-shoot camera....
(both happen to be 4mp)

From my Olympus D40 al-cheapo point-and-shoot camera bought in 2002:
a picture of a somewhat expensive car :)

OfHVz5q.jpg

is there an image hosting site that doesn't resize the picture?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: The One M8 camera is worse than my 2002 Olympus point-and-shoot camera.... (both happen to be 4

I think all of the "the M8 camera sucks" threads should be combined into one lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: The One M8 camera is worse than my 2002 Olympus point-and-shoot camera.... (both happen to be 4

That man DOES NOT seem comfortable in that car :S

It's a bummer the M8 is getting such bad reviews in picture quality. Sure, they praise the after-focus features and the variety of effects you can apply to your pictures, but all reviews I've read seem to agree on one thing: The camera itself sucks. Even in low light (the one thing these UltraPixels were supposed to excel at) the M8 seems to fall short :(

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) camera is worse than my 2002 Olympus point-and-shoot camera.... (both happen to be

(both happen to be 4mp)

http://i.imgur.com/OfHVz5q.jpg

Is that John Candy?

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The camera is very hit or miss with people. Most reviews I've read say it's a great everyday camera but not the best, but then there are complaints like these.
I guess I need to test everything MYSELF when choosing a phone! Lol

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) camera is worse than my 2002 Olympus point-and-shoot camera.... (both happen to be

The camera is very hit or miss with people. Most reviews I've read say it's a great everyday camera but not the best, but then there are complaints like these.
I guess I need to test everything MYSELF when choosing a phone! Lol

When choosing pretty much anything, really. Reviews, whether they accept it or not, are always biased (hopefully only by the reviewer's preference but sometimes even by 'sponsored' lobbying by manufacturers). I read the reviews, get a general idea, but if I like the phone, I always go and try it out before I buy. The problem is I did try the HTC One before and, to me, it was abysmal in camera quality compared to my S4 back then. And now UltraPixels are back, so I'm skeptical.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Your comparing a phone camera to a full camera? Am I the only one who is confused here?

The reason why point and shoots and full frame camera's take better pics is because they have larger megapixels, allowing them to capture more light. They also don't have any size constraint like they would in a phone. Larger pixels to let more light in, sounds familiar huh?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Your comparing a phone camera to a full camera? Am I the only one who is confused here?

The reason why point and shoots and full frame camera's take better pics is because they have larger megapixels, allowing them to capture more light. They also don't have any size constraint like they would in a phone. Larger pixels to let more light in, sounds familiar huh?

I'm comparing two "4mp cameras" here.... :) Yes, I know it's not fair,
but one is from 2002(the dark ages before smartphones were invented)
and one is from yesterday.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
All megapixels are not created equally. Those four megapixels in your point and shoot are much much larger than any phone will ever have

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
(both happen to be 4mp)

http://i.imgur.com/OfHVz5q.jpg

Yeah, So don't buy it. Like we haven't heard of opinions like this before. Let's beat the dead horse.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Your comparing a camera, that does nothing but take pictures, to a phone that has a camera on it. With that rationality how well does your point and shoot make a phone call? Surf the internet? You see my point here? Honestly a camera is a secondary feature on a cell PHONE