HTC One (M8): Slow Wi-Fi?

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Ive had my M8 for a few days now and im noticing that the Wifi connection is significantly slower than the 4G. While this is most noticeable on my home network its actually a problem on every wifi network I have used so far. things like facebook take longer to load apps take longer to download etc. Ive played with a few different settings on the phone but nothing ive done has really helped. Im able to do most basic adjustments but not a tech whiz or android whisperer so any suggestions with instructions would be greatly appreciated. To be clear its seriously where when im on wifi and trying to do anything with data its slow but soon as I turn off my wifi and the 4g picks up whatever I had going on finishes in a blink. could really use some help as I need wifi to keep my data plan usage down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 slow wifi

Ive had my M8 for a few days now and im noticing that the Wifi connection is significantly slower than the 4G. While this is most noticeable on my home network its actually a problem on every wifi network I have used so far. things like facebook take longer to load apps take longer to download etc. Ive played with a few different settings on the phone but nothing ive done has really helped. Im able to do most basic adjustments but not a tech whiz or android whisperer so any suggestions with instructions would be greatly appreciated. To be clear its seriously where when im on wifi and trying to do anything with data its slow but soon as I turn off my wifi and the 4g picks up whatever I had going on finishes in a blink. could really use some help as I need wifi to keep my data plan usage down.

Post some speed tests using an app like Speedtest.net.

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8: Slow Wi-Fi?

On my phone and don't see how to post a screen shot so will just use my results. Two days ago on my home network I got over 21 download 2.5 upload 24 ping. Today on work network got 9.5 down 13 up 8ping. Odd part is co-worker just got over 21 download on a different phone with the other stats being same as mine.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Just tested my Wi-Fi - speed results are right in line with previous phones. When testing with speedtest.net, make sure you're hitting the same server for consistency. I've seen differences from that.

puna2a9u.jpg

Sent from my HTC One (M8)

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Using WiFi at work today I'm actually having no issues so I'm starting to think the prob may just be with my home network. I'm running road runner turbo which is 20 down 2 up and I have a Motorola all in one modem and router. Don't have the model number on my right now. I'll get full singnal and as seen in the results from my home speed test good up and down numbers yet things will still load slowly or download slowly. Not very good at managing router settings. I did change the security from AES to the "T" something or other +AES that actually made a difference right away but then I fell into the same problem.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Check the fine print of your cable bill contract. Some of those with the word "turbo" in them or "speed burst" actually provide slower consistent speeds with the occasional speed burst of higher throughput. Im with comcast and although i have a 15 meg down and 2 up plan they dont guarantee those speeds.

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Yea I understand all that I know it can fluctuate but it's beyond that. My laptop and my ps3 run fine. And when I did the speed test and got 21 down 2 up I was still having slow performance on my home network

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results. Here's my most recent from home. Looks good yet when I was downloading a new app it just said downloading for about 45 seconds before it started the download. Once it started did download quick. Another example is Facebook pics take forever to show when clicked on. Over 4g it's almost instant.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

I too have noticed very slow download speeds. Im getting less then 3mb on my home wireless when I get over 10mb on my M7 One.

markdc111

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Mine is very fast on my home secured network, but when I try to connect to the unsecured network at work it says I'm connected but it doesn't seem to be working at all?

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Very strange I think this phone is very finicky with who it like s for online use. Mine is just the opposite. Fast at work secured network slow at home secured network. It's strange though cause only certain things are slow like Facebook and app downloads. Internet pages emails websites etc all seem to load fine. It's apps with online connections that are causing the issue. Very strange.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Since it is just your home network it could be your router not playing nice. Get a friend's router and hook it up to see how it works out.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

Wi-fi at home. Oddly enough, my M7 never reached these speeds on my wi-fi. It always averaged somewhere around 12 or 13Mb

2014-03-28 06.49.44.jpg

OTorresUSMC

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

I get a ping over 50 at home on my device could that be the issue. Also I have an all in on. A Motorola sbg6580 so can't hook up a diff router right now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I get a ping over 50 at home on my device could that be the issue. Also I have an all in on. A Motorola sbg6580 so can't hook up a diff router right now.

No 50 ping is not high.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

Then that wasn't a wifi test. A difference of 40 Mbit is kind of drastic :p.

What do you mean that wasn't a wifi test? That was most definitely a wi-fi test.

This is LTE, just after. Wi-fi off. It's in line with what I've typically gotten indoors at my location.:
2014-03-28 06.55.22.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean that wasn't a wifi test? That was most definitely a wi-fi test.

This is LTE, just after. Wi-fi off. It's in line with what I've typically gotten indoors at my location.:
View attachment 110405

Hm that is extremely weird. Something was wrong with your previous phone (maybe) to have a 40 Mbit difference. That is just way to drastic.

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I think some basic networking knowledge might help some people here... Long ping (or high latency) simply tells you how long it takes to get a response from your target. If you are targeting something in California from New York, you'll have a higher number, thus higher latency. It has nothing to do with your source - Source being your phone, tablet, or computer you are on. Latency can be caused by network congestion or as I described, distance. Download and upload speeds are what you really want to look at. My M8 consistently performs excellent, better than my iPhone, as good as my Google Nexus 7.

Posted via Android Central app