Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wait. What? Verizon EDGE surprise

My name is torifile and I am an addict.

I admit it. I have a problem. I can't resist the allure of the shiny and new when it seems worth looking at. I decided to embrace my inner gadget freak and pony up for the full price of the One. I went into the Verizon store, fully prepared to pay $600+tax for the device. My rep asked if I wanted to get on the EDGE program and I politely declined. He said ok and went to the back of the store to get the phone.

A few minutes later, he came out and said that there's a new EDGE promo that knocks $25/month off the price of my plan (I've got a family plan with 12 gigs of data) and that if I did the EDGE program, I'd essentially be paying NOTHING for the device. So, I, of course, went for it.

I was not eligible for an upgrade, my contract date was not reset. Nothing that I could tell was amiss...

It seems to good to be true but I walked out with my new One having paid only $70 and my "old" iPhone 5s. Did I miss something? Or did I just score the deal of the century?
    tech_fan likes this.

Default Re: Wait. What? Verizon EDGE surprise

There is not enough data to really assess.

But, general rule is VZW will never give you a deal of a century, it tends to 888 people over.
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

Verizon knocks 25 off the plan for phone on edge... Only for 10 GB or higher plans (it knock off is lower for plans under 10 GB ).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    My name is torifile and I am an addict.

I admit it. I have a problem. I can't resist the allure of the shiny and new when it seems worth looking at. I decided to embrace my inner gadget freak and pony up for the full price of the One. I went into the Verizon store, fully prepared to pay $600+tax for the device. My rep asked if I wanted to get on the EDGE program and I politely declined. He said ok and went to the back of the store to get the phone.

A few minutes later, he came out and said that there's a new EDGE promo that knocks $25/month off the price of my plan (I've got a family plan with 12 gigs of data) and that if I did the EDGE program, I'd essentially be paying NOTHING for the device. So, I, of course, went for it.

I was not eligible for an upgrade, my contract date was not reset. Nothing that I could tell was amiss...

It seems to good to be true but I walked out with my new One having paid only $70 and my "old" iPhone 5s. Did I miss something? Or did I just score the deal of the century?
    wait, you gave them your 5s?

if you did that, you got shafted.

as far as the monthly, att is doing something similar with their shared data plans and next, where it's only $15 to add a smartphone to a plan ($5 more than a dumbphone) which imo is a good deal and how i got my m8, but i didn't trade anything in to them for it...
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

I know what you mean. For instance I was on AT&T old plan (6gb shared) and it was $160. Switch to the new plan (10gb shared) and the bill is $130. And the phone costs 32/month on the next plan. So essentially I'm playing what I've always paid and now have a brand new phone. Your situation sounds similar. A lot of people will benefit with the new offerings since competition is heating up on service costs.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Adiliyo View Post
    wait, you gave them your 5s?

if you did that, you got shafted.

as far as the monthly, att is doing something similar with their shared data plans and next, where it's only $15 to add a smartphone to a plan ($5 more than a dumbphone) which imo is a good deal and how i got my m8, but i didn't trade anything in to them for it...
    Oh hell no. I know better than that. Reading back, I can see how you'd misunderstand what I said. I should have said, "I walked out with my new One and iPhone 5s and only paid $70"

I think that EDGE is a crappy deal for people who are eligible for an upgrade, but for me it seems like it was a great deal. I pay net zero for the phone when I just got a subsidized iPhone just 3 months ago. I could sell my iPhone and pay for my service for 6 months.

If you gave them you're 5s, then bad deal. BAD!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    Oh hell no. I know better than that. Reading back, I can see how you'd misunderstand what I said. I should have said, "I walked out with my new One and iPhone 5s and only paid $70"
    Oh, then good deal lol

On an edge plan, you will need to pay equipment for 20 months, you really need to show your bills for next month before we can grab the situation.

You did not turn the iPhone, do you know if they converted that into an installment too? If so, they will charge you that, and 25 discount would simply vanish.

The math can be done, after we have a bill.

@T-Mobile GN3
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    On an edge plan, you will need to pay equipment for 20 months, you really need to show your bills for next month before we can grab the situation.

You did not turn the iPhone, do you know if they converted that into an installment too? If so, they will charge you that, and 25 discount would simply vanish.

The math can be done, after we have a bill.

@T-Mobile GN3
    My iPhone wasn't even part of the discussion. I'll know for sure when I get the next bill but I am pretty sure that I got a good deal. I thought that this offer was only for lines eligible for an upgrade and I know that I wasn't.

The math as I see it is this:

600 + 40/month for my line under what I was expecting. For 2 years that's 1560. If I sell the One for 200 that puts me at 1360 out of pocket.

With this deal, I am paying just the 40/month for my line. No possibility of selling the One since I have to trade it in. That's a flat 960.

Seems straightforward enough. What am I missing?

Verizon has open edge enrollment for existing contract users before 11/13/13 until I believe 4/30/14. For this time and this time only, trade in of device is not required. You can either pay off in full and keep the phone or pay less than that and turn in the device. Though keeping the phone and selling outright might make more sense financially speaking.

And yes this is better than paying full retail, in this situation. They are trying to get people on edge. Att is doing similar as well

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

well, you are not "upgrading", you are converting a post-paid plan to a edge plan. Its a bit different. VZW is giving $25/mo off for all Edge plan users when the plan has >10G data. So everybody should get ($40-$25)*24, plus the full phone $600. Which would be $960. Same as yours. So, you are not really making a deal of a century saving there.

The interesting part is you get to keep your 3 mo old iPhone 5s. This is the part I am unsure about. Your next month bill should clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You can either pay off in full and keep the phone or pay less than that and turn in the device.
    If he/she paid the iPhone off in full in store, then there is no saving at all. However, OP did not mention this at all?

Another thing is that, you mentioned you are on a family plan, how can VZW convert one line to edge but not others? if they convert all lines to edge, any price changes there?

A trade in or payoff isn't required in this situation because it is open enrollment for edge right now. Once open enrollment ends then you would have to be off contract before you can sign up for edge.

It is a good deal in this specific situation due to open enrollment.

You can mix contract lines and edge lines on the same Account for MEP . Lines on edge would receive a $10 or $25 line access discount.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    well, you are not "upgrading", you are converting a post-paid plan to a edge plan. Its a bit different. VZW is giving $25/mo off for all Edge plan users when the plan has >10G data. So everybody should get ($40-$25)*24, plus the full phone $600. Which would be $960. Same as yours. So, you are not really making a deal of a century saving there.

The interesting part is you get to keep your 3 mo old iPhone 5s. This is the part I am unsure about. Your next month bill should clear that up.

If he/she paid the iPhone off in full in store, then there is no saving at all. However, OP did not mention this at all?

Another thing is that, you mentioned you are on a family plan, how can VZW convert one line to edge but not others? if they convert all lines to edge, any price changes there?
    if they're like att, then they can convert single lines of a family plan into edge / next plans because all that's happening is no subsidized phone and no contract. i have 3 next lines and 4 normal lines on my att plan.

it's generally better to not trade in your phone to them though. they aren't very clear about it, but if you pay off the balance of the phone you don't need to turn it in. you can generally sell your phone for more money than the balance on the plan in a year. also you don't need insurance on the phone, i've heard multiple reps at verizon say that to customers and i can assure you that is 100% false.
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

I thought the open enrollment still required you to turn in your phone? It says on Verizon's website that if you have not upgraded your phone since 11/13/13 then you can trade in your device and join Verizon Edge...

I also thought the discount was only $20 a month off line access for 10+ GB of data? Where are people getting $25?

***EDIT-I just saw the $25 on Verizon's page, did they change this recently?

Quote Originally Posted by jspring86 View Post
    I thought the open enrollment still required you to turn in your phone? It says on Verizon's website that if you have not upgraded your phone since 11/13/13 then you can trade in your device and join Verizon Edge...

I also thought the discount was only $20 a month off line access for 10+ GB of data? Where are people getting $25?

having to trade in your device to join edge would be the worst deal of the century.
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

Global Posts
    4,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, the 5s would have to be turned in or else you get hit with a $200 fee. I just checked into this and even called Verizon to double check. The phone that is currently being used on the line that now has Edge has to be returned within 14 days or the fee applies.

Doesn't seem to be a good deal to me - I guess if you really want a new phone and don't have an upgrade it's the way to go.

"In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

wow. that's just horrible.

there isn't a day that goes by that i don't feel good about leaving those pieces of crap at verizon.
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

Quote Originally Posted by Adiliyo View Post
    having to trade in your device to join edge would be the worst deal of the century.
    I agree, but this is the language on Verizon's website:

"For a limited time, existing customers who haven't upgraded their phone since 11/13/13 can trade in their phones and use Verizon Edge to enjoy the benefits of a new 4G LTE Smartphone."

This is the main reason I did not let them talk me into Edge when I bought the M8 the other day. I certainly wasn't going to be giving them my mint condition Note 3 which is not only worth a lot of money, but I also wanted to continue using my Note 3 as my work phone along with my M8.

I agree, but this is the language on Verizon's website:

"For a limited time, existing customers who haven't upgraded their phone since 11/13/13 can trade in their phones and use Verizon Edge to enjoy the benefits of a new 4G LTE Smartphone."

This is the main reason I did not let them talk me into Edge when I bought the M8 the other day. I certainly wasn't going to be giving them my mint condition Note 3 which is not only worth a lot of money, but I also wanted to continue using my Note 3 as my work phone along with my M8.
    i'd go buy a bb storm from the garbage bin and give that to them.
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

No trade in is required to start edge. If you are on edge then you will either have to trade in or payoff the device.

Verizon recently increased from $20 to $25 line access discount for edge over 10gb

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Yeah, the 5s would have to be turned in or else you get hit with a $200 fee. I just checked into this and even called Verizon to double check. The phone that is currently being used on the line that now has Edge has to be returned within 14 days or the fee applies.

Doesn't seem to be a good deal to me - I guess if you really want a new phone and don't have an upgrade it's the way to go.

Normally yes, but it isn't required during open enrollment when you first sign up for edge.

At least that was what was offered to me. Ask the rep clearly and document. If Verizon charges then you can call and they will credit you.

If they insist on returning a device, put a junk basic phone on the line and turn it in.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    No trade in is required to start edge. If you are on edge then you will either have to trade in or payoff the device.

Verizon recently increased from $20 to $25 line access discount for edge over 10gb

I see, so perhaps the OP just started Verizon Edge on a new line. That makes a lot more sense. I also considered this, but since I don't use 10 GB+ of data it was more cost effective for me to just add a line with the two year pricing. I used the 30% code and with the $100 bill credit the phone will only cost me $40 in the end. I think for the OP's situation if they indeed added a new line with Edge the numbers will work out to be favorable. I think Edge being favorable depends a lot on individual situations and data usage.

If you're on a 10GB plan or higher and don't do Edge, you're an *****. Seriously.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    sliver108 likes this.

At the end of the 2 years you have to return the phone them, and if it incurred any damage you have to pay the difference. You also are still paying subsidy costs that are rolled into your bill, even though the phone is no longer subsidized. There's a huge amount of info on these plans on Google. Can't link it currently, but check it out before your 14 days are up. Edge has been mathed to cost nearly double buying a phone outright plus monthly bill unless you upgrade every 6mos-1 year. And they still get you on subsidies.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I did the same and even got my wife's phone done under the Edge as well. In my opinion, it makes sense. Its a heated subject on this forum. I do not think you got the deal of the century but I think it was a fair deal especially, if you take the discount on your line. Even if you were to pay the subsidized price of close to 400 after taxes and activation fee, the $30 per month for the Edge program would take you about 14 months to break even on the $400 and that does not take into account the $25 deduction you get so, the $400 investment would take you 80 months to recoup it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast