HTC One (M8): Headphone audio quality?

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how the headphone audio quality is on the M8, and specifically when compared to S4/S5? Also, is BoomSound anything more than the a rebranded Beats, which only made the phone bassier? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Headphone audio quality?

BoomSound is the dual front facing speakers, has nothing to do with beats. The original beats on the m7 is just a software algorithm

Posted via Android Central App

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site

BoomSound is also a setting on the phone, which can be turned off when using headphones. When you turn it off, it loses volume. My question is, is it more of a pre-amp (adding power) or an entire sound profile?

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

I know that it's definitely adding power, I don't think it's related to the EQ setup but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
If your concern is audio quality, get the M8, use decent headphones, and don't engage beats, BoomSound, or any similar enhancement. Those things are ok for cheap ear buds, but if you plan to use cheap ones, it doesn't matter so much which phone you get.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, from what I've seen in the reviews, the HTC One M8's headphone output is unmatched by anything in its class. Also, for those who claim that the BoomSound speakers are not a factor because they use headphones...well the M8 destroys everything in that category as well. Now the only comeback for that is ".....well I don't use audio on my phone at all" ;)

Scroll to the bottom to see the comparison

HTC One (M8) vs Apple iPhone 5s
HTC One (M8) vs Note 3
HTC One (M8) vs the Rest

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I hooked up my Klipsch Image S4 headphones and the sound is great. I never use free included headphones because most of the time they are cheap quality and horrible sounding.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My advice? Turn off boom sound when using headphones. They artificially enhance the sound with some crappy bass.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I get some audio clipping at high volume with v-moda m100s. Outside of that it's absolutely stunning. Hoping an update fixes the clipping so I can drown people out. :p

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get some audio clipping at high volume with v-moda m100s. Outside of that it's absolutely stunning. Hoping an update fixes the clipping so I can drown people out. :p

Those are pretty high end and probably need a dedicated external headphone amplifier.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Those are pretty high end and probably need a dedicated external headphone amplifier.

I thought that as well, but I had no issues running them on a note 3 without my amp. And, unfortunately, I can't get my e07k to work. Unsure if it's a cable issue or kitkat. :/

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought that as well, but I had no issues running them on a note 3 without my amp. And, unfortunately, I can't get my e07k to work. Unsure if it's a cable issue or kitkat. :/

Using the headphone jack out of the M8 would work with that amp.

I'm unsure if the audio output impedance of both phones so I can't say for sure if that's part of the issue or not.

Maybe tomorrow I'll plug in my DT990's (250 ohm) and see what happens.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Using the headphone jack out of the M8 would work with that amp.

I'm unsure if the audio output impedance of both phones so I can't say for sure if that's part of the issue or not.

Maybe tomorrow I'll plug in my DT990's (250 ohm) and see what happens.

I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out which of the USB cords is at fault so I can order a new one. Thanks for quick feedback.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out which of the USB cords is at fault so I can order a new one. Thanks for quick feedback.

Just to be sure, are you plugging in to the microUSB of the M8 for source or the headphone jack? I'm not sure it'll work through USB but don't have anything to test with to determine if that would be Kit Kat, the music player, or HTC.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Used it via USB on my note (was 4.3) but going to try the headphone jack now. Used a micro to mini otg prior.

Edit: it works fine purely as an amp through the headphone jack. Forgot I was trying to use it as a DAC on my note. :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Used it via USB on my note (was 4.3) but going to try the headphone jack now. Used a micro to mini otg prior.

If you still have the Note and it received Kit Kat I'd be curious to know if it still works.

kioko91

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you still have the Note and it received Kit Kat I'd be curious to know if it still works.

I don't but my family has a few, however they're still on Verizon so 4.3 still. I'll let you know as soon as they get 4.4.