I am returning my HTC One (M8). Are you?

towusop

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the phone boil down to great phone that is not for me. I found the camera to entirely adequate. I think HTC is on the right track; they just picked the wrong mega pixel count. If they took the same approach with an 8 mega pixel sensor and added back the optical image stabilization then they would be on to something. The screen was beautiful. The speakers were awesome. Sense is very good and adds something to the experience. All that is great, but this thing is freaking huge. Anyone who takes this to the gym will look like a giant tool. I didn't think I was a small phone guy, but the Moto X has spoiled me. Are you giving up on the M8 and why are you?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: I am returning my M8. Are you?

My thoughts on the phone boil down to great phone that is not for me. I found the camera to entirely adequate. I think HTC is on the right track; they just picked the wrong mega pixel count. If they took the same approach with an 8 mega pixel sensor and added back the optical image stabilization then they would be on to something. The screen was beautiful. The speakers were awesome. Sense is very good and adds something to the experience. All that is great, but this thing is freaking huge. Anyone who takes this to the gym will look like a giant tool. I didn't think I was a small phone guy, but the Moto X has spoiled me. Are you giving up on the M8 and why are you?

Wow you're the second guy that's returned due to the size. Is it that big ?

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean by a tool? As in a show off?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

It is long, but if you have used a Note 3 the size doesn't even come close. I think it depends on what phone you are just coming from to the M8. To me the fact that it is as heavy as the Note 3 was a bit surprising, but it is metal and not plastic so that is understandable.

pe7e8uta.jpg

Last edited:

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

I played with one today and it is not that freakin big some phones just aren't for some folks but really if you can roll with a GS4 or 5 then i see no problem with this they were both on display at the att store i went to today.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Of course it is big. You've held the M7 right? It's like a speaker grill taller than the M7, an already tall phone.
Dumb design, probably just to incorporate the bezel. They should have gone with a slightly wider phone or removed the bezel altogether.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
All that is great, but this thing is freaking huge. Anyone who takes this to the gym will look like a giant tool. I didn't think I was a small phone guy, but the Moto X has spoiled me. Are you giving up on the M8 and why are you?

I have the perfect phone for you....

zoolander-phone_fgo7F_52.jpg

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I gave up on it before I bought it.
I discovered today in the Verizon store that the M8 has a smaller useable screen area than the M7.
Ridiculously long phone with a screen area smaller than 4.7".....no thanks. The on screen buttons and HTC logo take up way too much space.
Walked out still happy with my larger screen.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

It is long, but if you have used a Note 3 the size doesn't even come close. I think it depends on what phone you are just coming from to the M8. To me the fact that it is as heavy as the Note 3 was a bit surprising, but it is metal and not plastic so that is understandable.

It's actually close in size with note 3

@T-Mobile GN3

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

It's actually close in size with note 3

@T-Mobile GN3

In length I agree, but the width is the substantial difference in whether or not one can use the phone with one hand. For someone with smaller hands the Note 3 is too big to use with one hand for texting, but I don't imagine a similar complain it to be made with the M8.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Big is a galaxy mega, the M8 is just longer than the M7 by a inch or so come on and its light i see all of these post about this phone being heavy what tha not to down play but man i can think of several phones that are larger one the oppo N1 and Find 7 , G2 PRO, but thats why there is choice i just disagree that this is a big phone just because is about an inch or so over the M7.

towusop

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So by big people. I do mean that it is very close to phablet size. If you want an exercise arm band then you will probably have to find on that fits a Note and that is too big for me. Love the Zoolander pic.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I discovered today in the Verizon store that the M8 has a smaller useable screen area than the M7.
Ridiculously long phone with a screen area smaller than 4.7".....no thanks. The on screen buttons and HTC logo take up way too much space.

The M8 has a bigger screen when it really counts, video, photos and gaming. The on screen buttons disappear and all 5 inches are used. Personally I prefer the on screen buttons to the capacitive buttons on the M7. On screen buttons respond quicker and give more flexibility.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess I like the idea of going forward, not backward.
To each his own, glad you are digging the phone. Regardless of screen size, it is one gorgeous phone!
The M8 has a bigger screen when it really counts, video, photos and gaming. The on screen buttons disappear and all 5 inches are used. Personally I prefer the on screen buttons to the capacitive buttons on the M7. On screen buttons respond quicker and give more flexibility.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest problems with the MotoX is it's camera.... lol

- - - Updated - - -

so are you gonna post this in every thread while ignoring that the on-screen buttons tuen off.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
There must be an epidemic of small handed people who have nothing better to do than to see how many other small handed people agree with them

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you going to respond to every post? Glad it's getting to you. Just remember, it's just a phone. Who cares what I think? Oh wait, you clearly do... Lol
One of the biggest problems with the MotoX is it's camera.... lol

- - - Updated - - -

so are you gonna post this in every thread while ignoring that the on-screen buttons tuen off.