Useable screen space on HTC One (M8) less than M7

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I went to Verizon to check out the M8, nice phone! Unfortunately I discovered that the useable space on the screen is less than that of the M7. The M8's on screen buttons space and the HTC One logo space underneath give the impression of a 5" or better screen but when you compare it sided by side to the M7 (which they had right next to it) the actual screen space is slightly less!!! I noticed that when browsing on the M8 the onscreen button space on the M8 does not go away and become part of the screen, it stays as dedicated button space.
I put both phones together at the store and went to Android Central and there was no question that the M7 4.7" screen was larger than the new "suggested" 5" on the M8.
Before you feel as if I insulted God check it out yourself......

Last edited by a moderator:

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Useable screen space on M8 less than M7

Regardless it's still bigger for fullscreen apps and video, still looks even nicer, does it really matter?

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Either willful ignorance on your part or you don't understand what I am saying.
Let me clarify...IT IS A SMALLER DISPLAY AREA, SO NO IT DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR APPS OR VIDEO EXPERIENCE.
It's USEABLE SCREEN AREA that displays your apps and video that is smaller. So yes, it matters a hell of a lot. The phone is significantly taller but has lost display area.
Let me give you an example, a football field once had 100 yard by 50 yard dimensions with 20ft side lines. Let's say now it has a 40 yard by 90 yard playing area with a 60ft. sideline.
Yes, it's bigger overall but you just lost playing surface....make sense now?
Again, put the M7 and M8 together and view the same web page and come back to me about your viewing experiences being better.

Regardless it's still bigger for fullscreen apps and video, still looks even nicer, does it really matter?

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you. The main things I do full screen are look at PDFs occasionally and watch video. My Note 3 certainly still better than the M8 for PDFs, but I actually enjoy watching video on the M8 more. Even though the screen is smaller than my Note 3 the audio is so much better it makes it preferable to me.

Adamd1169

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Either willful ignorance on your part or you don't understand what I am saying.
Let me clarify...IT IS A SMALLER DISPLAY AREA, SO NO IT DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR APPS OR VIDEO EXPERIENCE.
It's USEABLE SCREEN AREA that displays your apps and video that is smaller. So yes, it matters a hell of a lot. The phone is significantly taller but has lost display area.
Let me give you an example, a football field once had 100 yard by 50 yard dimensions with 20ft side lines. Let's say now it has a 40 yard by 90 yard playing area with a 60ft. sideline.
Yes, it's bigger overall but you just lost playing surface....make sense now?
Again, put the M7 and M8 together and view the same web page and come back to me about your viewing experiences being better.

The on screen buttons go away when you are watching video or playing games. You know that right?

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I understand that this is the M8 forum and many are now in possession and must defend their purchases...really I get it.
Unfortunately to update the M7 with a version that is significantly larger with an "occasional 5" screen" but in most cases smaller than 4.7" seems like a major fail.
I dig HTC and love my M7 but after seeing what I saw today, no thanks. Just hoping to bring something to the attention of others so there are no surprises for them.
I didn't make the phone or make up the facts.....sorry.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I understand that this is the M8 forum and many are now in possession and must defend their purchases...really I get it.
Unfortunately to update the M7 with a version that is significantly larger with an "occasional 5" screen" but in most cases smaller than 4.7" seems like a major fail.
I dig HTC and love my M7 but after seeing what I saw today, no thanks. Just hoping to bring something to the attention of others so there are no surprises for them.
I didn't make the phone or make up the facts.....sorry.

I guess we just don't understand what else one would do with the phone that the full screen mode mattered? I guess if you feel like you need 5 inches of usable space even when perusing your home screens or apps then the phone is an epic fail.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess we just don't understand what else one would do with the phone that the full screen mode mattered? I guess if you feel like you need 5 inches of usable space even when perusing your home screens or apps then the phone is an epic fail.

Yep, total loss, I guess HTC better pack up the M8 and declare bankruptcy right now. Lol

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I appreciate the sarcasm but yes...epic fail for me.
To have a phone close in height to a Note 3 and a 4.6" screen, well I made my point.
At the same time, I am glad you guys are digging it. it is a beautiful piece of machinery with great internals.
Thanks for putting up with my rant.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both and the useable screen space is the same when the on-screen buttons are up. Just did a screen to screen comparison. The one mate is slightly wider though,as far as the on screen real estate.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

To have a phone close in height to a Note 3 and a 4.6" screen, well I made my point.
At the same time, I am glad you guys are digging it. it is a beautiful piece of machinery with great internals.

the buttons go away.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

How can a phone with a 4.6 inch screen have 5 inch screen when watching video?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Why do all you people feel the need to come here and post about how you don't like this or that about the phone? If you don't like, keep it to yourself. It's almost as if your trying to persuade people not to buy it. I just don't get it?

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do all you people feel the need to come here and post about how you don't like this or that about the phone? If you don't like, keep it to yourself. It's almost as if your trying to persuade people not to buy it. I just don't get it?

There is nothing wrong with stating your opinion about a particular phone. The annoying part is when you tell everyone else who doesn't view it the same way you do that they are wrong.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that those participating here acquaint themselves with the forum rules. If you don't care for the thread or a post, then just move on.

Personal attacks, insults, or inflammatory comments will not be tolerated. Violations of the forum rules will be dealt with accordingly.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Regardless, I actually like the button layout of M7 and HOX, everybody likes the screen to be really big, I don't get why HTC logo has to occupy its own row space on M8. It would be interesting to know the motivation behind this design.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If any of you have the m7 and the m8 go ahead and put them screen to screen. You will realize that the m8 is wider, so the amount of screen real estate you're losing by the on screen buttons is made up by the fact that it is wider