Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Sprint Spark speeds here in Kansas City. Just one night but promising technology!

    ladyc0524 likes this.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    30,408 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,899 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Nice speed results. The only thing kinda ugly is the 117 ms ping, but most of the time, who cares?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Ping was a bit slow on some but still respectable. Plan to test a lot while I am around town this week.

    HTC ONE - Nexus 7
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Hopefully Sprint can do something with their network. Their past work doesn't show good results so far .

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Looks nice! The spark icon still spins all the time though, right?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Spins like mad Here's hoping a Dev can strip it out in a ROM

    ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    That's the TDD-LTE on the 2600 mhz frequency! Impressive speeds

    Got my One M8 last night, coming from the original One, and the radio on the M8 is much improved! Today I was pretty much always on LTE where my original One would often switch between 3G and LTE. I'm in Orange County, CA and some areas do have TDD-LTE deployed...I was able to connect while at lunch. Areas where it's not deployed, the 1900 mhz FDD-LTE is filled in pretty well. No complaints here about Sprint's new LTE network!

    TD-LTE is live throughout the LA area, and I'm headed there tomorrow, so can't wait to see how fast it is
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    I'm praying to the North Carolina gods that I will see such speeds in my lifetime smh.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    I always assumed my EVO LTE radios were awful but wow, I notice such a huge difference with wifi, 3g, and non-Spark LTE.

    ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    I use Sprint, as well. So happy that JAX, Fl is a Sprint Spark location. I'm getting LTE everywhere I drive.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising



    Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Sprint Spark in LA this morning inside a restaurant near The Grove. This is TD-LTE 2600 mhz (Band 41)...

    HTC One M8 definitely makes good use of the tri-band Sprint Spark network, and the radios are much improved over the original One That alone makes it a worthy upgrade for Sprint users, in my opinion

    Sprint Spark - Very Promising-screenshot_2014-03-29-10-40-47.jpg
  13. #13  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    639 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by trojanman View Post
    That's the TDD-LTE on the 2600 mhz frequency! Impressive speeds

    Got my One M8 last night, coming from the original One, and the radio on the M8 is much improved! Today I was pretty much always on LTE where my original One would often switch between 3G and LTE. I'm in Orange County, CA and some areas do have TDD-LTE deployed...I was able to connect while at lunch. Areas where it's not deployed, the 1900 mhz FDD-LTE is filled in pretty well. No complaints here about Sprint's new LTE network!

    TD-LTE is live throughout the LA area, and I'm headed there tomorrow, so can't wait to see how fast it is
    I want to switch from my Sprint Note 3 to either this phone or the One Max, but am confused about the different LTE types. You say you switch between 3G and LTE, both TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE. Others say it can only do 3G or Spark and only 3G for voice and texts, with no LTE data while using the phone. Are you saying you can not only choose which LTE band to use, but also can do 3G CDMA at the same time, or am I misunderstanding?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    I get those speeds CONSISTENTLY on T-Mobile without waiting 5 years for a national "Spark" rollout.

    Not trying to troll here, but Sprint really needs to upgrade their network much, much faster. AT&T and T-Mobile see those speeds without fancy advertising terms on their regular LTE. Verizon, I am not sure. Haven't used them all that much in the last year.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
    I want to switch from my Sprint Note 3 to either this phone or the One Max, but am confused about the different LTE types. You say you switch between 3G and LTE, both TDD-LTE and FDD-LTE. Others say it can only do 3G or Spark and only 3G for voice and texts, with no LTE data while using the phone. Are you saying you can not only choose which LTE band to use, but also can do 3G CDMA at the same time, or am I misunderstanding?
    In the most simple terms from how I understand it, the network will determine which LTE band, of the three, you connect to. Not quite sure how this is determined, but from what I've read it's based on the current capacity and signal strength at the time you are connecting. For example, I was switching between the 2600mhz TD-LTE and 1900mhz FDD-LTE while I was around the LA area today. The great thing is, the switch is very fast and seamless, so you won't see any hicccups in data transmission.

    Also, it's true that on Sprint's LTE network, phones can't do simultaneous voice and data. When you get a phone call, it switches back to CDMA. Just like the switching of LTE bands, if you get a phone call or make a phone call, and when the call ends, the switch between CDMA and LTE is very fast and seamless. Text messages are sent via LTE, so no need of switching between CDMA and LTE when you send or receive a text.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I get those speeds CONSISTENTLY on T-Mobile without waiting 5 years for a national "Spark" rollout.

    Not trying to troll here, but Sprint really needs to upgrade their network much, much faster. AT&T and T-Mobile see those speeds without fancy advertising terms on their regular LTE. Verizon, I am not sure. Haven't used them all that much in the last year.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Except that T-Mobile drops down to 2G/Edge outside of cities, at least right now. With those speeds, I think it'd be tough to stream music like I can on Sprint (or AT&T and Verizon) while driving, for example, between LA and Vegas. On top of that, Sprint has lower prices and unlimited data. For me, Sprint works well and is a great value...and I think this thread is good for those who currently have a Sprint single-band phone (such as the original HTC One) to consider the M8 since it's a tri-band phone with a great RF signal.
  17. #17  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    639 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by trojanman View Post
    In the most simple terms from how I understand it, the network will determine which LTE band, of the three, you connect to. Not quite sure how this is determined, but from what I've read it's based on the current capacity and signal strength at the time you are connecting. For example, I was switching between the 2600mhz TD-LTE and 1900mhz FDD-LTE while I was around the LA area today. The great thing is, the switch is very fast and seamless, so you won't see any hicccups in data transmission.

    Also, it's true that on Sprint's LTE network, phones can't do simultaneous voice and data. When you get a phone call, it switches back to CDMA. Just like the switching of LTE bands, if you get a phone call or make a phone call, and when the call ends, the switch between CDMA and LTE is very fast and seamless. Text messages are sent via LTE, so no need of switching between CDMA and LTE when you send or receive a text.
    Sorry, I'm still confused. According to the Sprint coverage map for my 75063 zip code, there is full Spark coverage here. Yet when I went to my local Sprint store, my Note 3 had full 4G LTE but their display One Max only showed 3G. I thought the One Max would have had LTE too, but the girl that waited on me said that those maps show future coverage not current, and Spark isn't turned on here yet. She also said that it will only get Spark or 3G and isn't capable of getting 4G LTE. Those both sound fishy to me. Can you explain?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    KMachine's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MikG v2.6x

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    The One Max is LTE capable (almost all are now) and also Spark capable. My guess is the radio wasn't turned on if it wasn't showing LTE at all. Those dang brain washed employees pushing Samsung again

    ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)
    JimSmith94 likes this.
  19. #19  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    639 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by KMachine View Post
    The One Max is LTE capable (almost all are now) and also Spark capable. My guess is the radio wasn't turned on if it wasn't showing LTE at all. Those dang brain washed employees pushing Samsung again

    ONE M8 - Nexus 7 (2013)
    Thanks and I hope you're right. I'll make another trip to the store and look at the settings myself, or maybe I can find somebody there that's older than my granddaughter.
  20. #20  
    sjcdal's Avatar

    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Dallas-Preston Road &Frankford.
    Sprint Spark - Very Promising-2014-03-30_14-11-57.jpg
  21. #21  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    639 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcdal View Post
    Dallas-Preston Road &Frankford.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-30_14-11-57.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	110135
    Is that with Spark? If so, I regularly get those speeds with my Note 3's LTE. I would expect Spark to approach 60 Mbps.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
    Is that with Spark? If so, I regularly get those speeds with my Note 3's LTE. I would expect Spark to approach 60 Mbps.
    I believe the Note 3 is a single band device, so you've been on the 1900mhz (band 25) LTE. Because of that, I'm guessing the above speeds is also from the 1900mhz frequency (but it could very well be the band 41 2600mhz or band 26 800mhz frequency); there are a lot of variables at any one time that can affect speed, but not so much that you would notice it during general use.

    "Spark" seems to be the marketing term for the full tri-band LTE network, but the very fast speeds approaching 60mbps will be on 2600mhz (band 41), so you would need a tri-band device (which the M8 is) to connect.

    Also, to answer your question from a few posts above, KMachine is likely correct, the LTE radio was probably turned off. If you were getting a full LTE signal on your Note, the One Max should have been connected as well.
    JimSmith94 likes this.
  23. #23  
    JimSmith94's Avatar

    Posts
    639 Posts
    Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Freeza'sfre3 KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by trojanman View Post
    I believe the Note 3 is a single band device, so you've been on the 1900mhz (band 25) LTE. Because of that, I'm guessing the above speeds is also from the 1900mhz frequency (but it could very well be the band 41 2600mhz or band 26 800mhz frequency); there are a lot of variables at any one time that can affect speed, but not so much that you would notice it during general use.

    "Spark" seems to be the marketing term for the full tri-band LTE network, but the very fast speeds approaching 60mbps will be on 2600mhz (band 41), so you would need a tri-band device (which the M8 is) to connect.

    Also, to answer your question from a few posts above, KMachine is likely correct, the LTE radio was probably turned off. If you were getting a full LTE signal on your Note, the One Max should have been connected as well.
    Thanks to you both. Tomorrow I will trek back to my store and check the settings on all of their Spark phones. I am fed up with the Samsung Knox crap and ready to come back to the HTC fold.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
    Thanks to you both. Tomorrow I will trek back to my store and check the settings on all of their Spark phones. I am fed up with the Samsung Knox crap and ready to come back to the HTC fold.
    No problem! Best of luck. I'm loving the One M8 3 days into it, and Spark is working beautifully...also, according to your zip code (Dallas-Ft Worth area), there's plenty of LTE that should be blanketing the area
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Sprint Spark - Very Promising

    I'm from Riverside, California!!!!!🙋

    Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sprint HTC One (M8): not receiving phone calls
    By jaydeew in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
  3. How do I get the Spark Upgrade if Im rooted?
    By Carnage Reigns in forum Sprint LG G2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM
  4. Sprint HTC One (M8): Bloatware Uninstallable
    By mstrblueskys in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 12:26 AM
  5. Sprint update after restart.
    By NicksGarage in forum HTC One M8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions