HTC One (M8): It's going back

anon6937994

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
First off, I'm not a troll or a hater. I had the original HTC One and gave it to my daughter because I couldn't stand the screen size, wanted bigger. M8 states it's a 5 in. screen, so I gave it a whirl. What a bummer. With the placement of the on screen buttons that are above the huge black stripe with HTC logo, its the same size as the original HTC One. Not really an upgrade from the original. Back to the drawing board. Not sure why HTC would even release a phone like this. :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: It's going back.

But the buttons go away... Is the screen size your only reason for returning it? What phone were you coming from? I'll admit the HTC logo on the front could probably be a bit annoying...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But the buttons go away... Is the screen size your only reason for returning it? What phone were you coming from? I'll admit the HTC logo on the front could probably be a bit annoying...

I think what he meant is that they should have either kept the black bezel or on-screen buttons, but not both. Not complaining about the buttons taking up space.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I think what he meant is that they should have either kept the black bezel or on-screen buttons, but not both. Not complaining about the buttons taking up space.

You may be right. I went back and read it, and that makes more sense. Thank you!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

This is typical HTC. I don't know why people are so surprised. Literally every device is like this. I mean a little research or just playing around some before buying would help people make better decisions. Having said that I agree it's annoying but not a deal breaking for me. Everg phone does something annoying and this doesn't bother me as much as others. Probably because I'm use to HTC devices. Anyhow, I have root and I'll 've installing the tweak soon that auto hides the black bar and I'm good. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have both devices in my hand as I'm typing this and I assure you without a doubt, even with the on screen buttons, the m8's screen is in fact larger. Honestly I think every one of these people that are bashing this phone are completely delusional

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site

They released a phone like this because (A) Most people, as pointed out in this thread, have used HTC before. So they have previous customer base like most products an those customers are use to the HTC design experience. (B) Just like a phones internal storage we know the OS takes some space, more on some types of devices. We know some UI designs have a button menu. So everyone is entitled to find the best fit for them I have used all devices that have been launched on Verizon in last 2 years and I can say there is no one perfect choice. This phone will have its flaws to people but 98% of people who buy it actually want the phone and will not nitpick the little things. It is not perfect but like most high end phones like the S5 coming it has a lot of great features to compete.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I have both devices in my hand as I'm typing this and I assure you without a doubt, even with the on screen buttons, the m8's screen is in fact larger. Honestly I think every one of these people that are bashing this phone are completely delusional

Nobody said the screen was smaller...

anon6937994

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

with the on screen buttons up they are exactly the same. Measure it. Buttons should have been in the big black stripe like M7. Then the screen would be 5 inches usable space.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

If I understand you correctly, even though the screen measures 5 inches, there are too many UI elements that make it appear like you aren't working with 5 inches of display area (when the virtual buttons aren't hidden) . I think a better comparison for you to prove your point, is the Droid DNA. Same screen size, but since it has the capacitive buttons, it makes the screen seem larger during regular usage. Is that what you're trying to convey?

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

If the buttons were capacitive and on the black stripe then this would have been more like the M7 and wouldn't have on screen buttons.
Even without the capacitive buttons HTC have already said the black bezel at the bottom had to stay because they still needed to put electronics under there.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It's going back.

HTC have already said the black bezel at the bottom had to stay because they still needed to put electronics under there.

If that is the case, they should have put this bezel at the top. This would have reduced the distance required to reach the bottom row of icons.

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Skyway, put yourself out of your misery and get thee a note 3. I have yet to find something I don't like about it. I have small hands but no problem operating the note 3. It does everything I want. I haven't had a single issue with it so far. (Got mine in december)
Just do it. You know you want to, hehehe...:cool:

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

If that is the case, they should have put this bezel at the top. This would have reduced the distance required to reach the bottom row of icons.

The electronics have always been there, the M7 just had capacitive buttons there as well which have now been moved onto the screen.
Space is at a premium with phones now, there is no space, just electronics miniaturised and crammed in wherever they need to go.
HTC have said the electronics needed to still be there but they understood people's concerns which to me says they had no choice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae