Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By anon6937994
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 4 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By Kibbster
  • 3 Post By Evilguppy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One (M8): It's going back

    First off, I'm not a troll or a hater. I had the original HTC One and gave it to my daughter because I couldn't stand the screen size, wanted bigger. M8 states it's a 5 in. screen, so I gave it a whirl. What a bummer. With the placement of the on screen buttons that are above the huge black stripe with HTC logo, its the same size as the original HTC One. Not really an upgrade from the original. Back to the drawing board. Not sure why HTC would even release a phone like this.
    BBSeattle likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    But the buttons go away... Is the screen size your only reason for returning it? What phone were you coming from? I'll admit the HTC logo on the front could probably be a bit annoying...
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raymaane View Post
    But the buttons go away... Is the screen size your only reason for returning it? What phone were you coming from? I'll admit the HTC logo on the front could probably be a bit annoying...
    I think what he meant is that they should have either kept the black bezel or on-screen buttons, but not both. Not complaining about the buttons taking up space.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    adriandb likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I think what he meant is that they should have either kept the black bezel or on-screen buttons, but not both. Not complaining about the buttons taking up space.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    You may be right. I went back and read it, and that makes more sense. Thank you!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    This is typical HTC. I don't know why people are so surprised. Literally every device is like this. I mean a little research or just playing around some before buying would help people make better decisions. Having said that I agree it's annoying but not a deal breaking for me. Everg phone does something annoying and this doesn't bother me as much as others. Probably because I'm use to HTC devices. Anyhow, I have root and I'll 've installing the tweak soon that auto hides the black bar and I'm good. Good luck with whatever you choose.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  6. #6  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Typical HTC. Almost making the perfect phone...almost.
  7. #7  

    Default

    I have both devices in my hand as I'm typing this and I assure you without a doubt, even with the on screen buttons, the m8's screen is in fact larger. Honestly I think every one of these people that are bashing this phone are completely delusional

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  8. #8  
    iLLusive's Avatar
    Vzw Staff

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts

    Default Re: It's going back.

    They released a phone like this because (A) Most people, as pointed out in this thread, have used HTC before. So they have previous customer base like most products an those customers are use to the HTC design experience. (B) Just like a phones internal storage we know the OS takes some space, more on some types of devices. We know some UI designs have a button menu. So everyone is entitled to find the best fit for them I have used all devices that have been launched on Verizon in last 2 years and I can say there is no one perfect choice. This phone will have its flaws to people but 98% of people who buy it actually want the phone and will not nitpick the little things. It is not perfect but like most high end phones like the S5 coming it has a lot of great features to compete.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.
  9. #9  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I have both devices in my hand as I'm typing this and I assure you without a doubt, even with the on screen buttons, the m8's screen is in fact larger. Honestly I think every one of these people that are bashing this phone are completely delusional

    Posted via Android Central App
    Nobody said the screen was smaller...

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    with the on screen buttons up they are exactly the same. Measure it. Buttons should have been in the big black stripe like M7. Then the screen would be 5 inches usable space.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    When did I bash it? Only stated a fact.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    If I understand you correctly, even though the screen measures 5 inches, there are too many UI elements that make it appear like you aren't working with 5 inches of display area (when the virtual buttons aren't hidden) . I think a better comparison for you to prove your point, is the Droid DNA. Same screen size, but since it has the capacitive buttons, it makes the screen seem larger during regular usage. Is that what you're trying to convey?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    why didn't you just get a note 3 and be done with it?
    "Excellence doesn't require perfection".
  14. #14  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcseacliff View Post
    why didn't you just get a note 3 and be done with it?
    Because people love to complain

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
    Thanked by 2:
    MrHug3, Topgonzo, Habiib and 1 others like this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    If the buttons were capacitive and on the black stripe then this would have been more like the M7 and wouldn't have on screen buttons.
    Even without the capacitive buttons HTC have already said the black bezel at the bottom had to stay because they still needed to put electronics under there.
    Thanked by:
    ErnstMach likes this.
  16. #16  
    orangeman's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default It's going back.

    HTC have already said the black bezel at the bottom had to stay because they still needed to put electronics under there.
    If that is the case, they should have put this bezel at the top. This would have reduced the distance required to reach the bottom row of icons.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Skyway, put yourself out of your misery and get thee a note 3. I have yet to find something I don't like about it. I have small hands but no problem operating the note 3. It does everything I want. I haven't had a single issue with it so far. (Got mine in december)
    Just do it. You know you want to, hehehe...
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default Re: It's going back.

    Quote Originally Posted by orangeman View Post
    If that is the case, they should have put this bezel at the top. This would have reduced the distance required to reach the bottom row of icons.
    The electronics have always been there, the M7 just had capacitive buttons there as well which have now been moved onto the screen.
    Space is at a premium with phones now, there is no space, just electronics miniaturised and crammed in wherever they need to go.
    HTC have said the electronics needed to still be there but they understood people's concerns which to me says they had no choice.

Similar Threads

  1. Restore Chrome desktop bookmarks from my Galaxy s4 back to my PC
    By ofer vilmovsky in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 03:37 AM
  2. Cases that work with the wireless charging back
    By randall2580 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM
  3. Help needed! Relocked HTC one trying to get it back to stock firmware for resale
    By Borse2008 in forum HTC One Rooting, ROMs & Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 06:57 PM
  4. HTC One (M8): Sticker on back of phone
    By Ewing33855 in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  5. Carrier IQ: Should I be worried about it?
    By Closingracer in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions