HTC One (M8): Quick Charge 2.0

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand the standard wall charger that comes with the M8 is a 1.5A charger, which doesn't support quick charge 2.0. If I buy a 2.1A wall charger from Amazon will this be powerful enough to take advantage of the faster charging or will it just be throttled down to what the standard charger is?
Thanks for your help!

Edit: Also, is it safe to use a more powerful wall charger than what came with the phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: M8 Quick Charge 2.0

I think there is supposed to be an update coming soon to enable quickcharge 2.0 and then it can be able to make use of those higher V chargers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can use whatever charger you want. I use an 8amp charger and the devices just takes what it needs. It depends on how htc programmed it but usually, devices won't charge any faster than the stock charger

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Darn, I just spent 15 bucks for a 2.1A charger for nothing...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Darn, I just spent 15 bucks for a 2.1A charger for nothing...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not really. If you read my comment you'd see that an update is coming to enable it. So...at the moment it was a useless purchase but when the update is out it will become useful.
Or I may be wrong and it actually already uses quickcharge 2.0. Either way, you didn't waste your money don't worry.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I can't remember where I read but I think it's enabled to use quick charge but for some reason htc didn't include a quick charge wall charger but they are suppose to release one at some point

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

I can't remember where I read but I think it's enabled to use quick charge but for some reason htc didn't include a quick charge wall charger but they are suppose to release one at some point

I think this is right. Can't fathom why they didn't include a better charger in the box though. Can somebody compare speeds of the stock to a higher Amp charger?

Posted via Android Central App

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I have been doing some reading and I found that quick charge 1.0 is built into the phone chip so any charger that you use that's relatively newer will take advantage of that but I imagine the higher the amps the quicker it charges it. To take advantage of the quick charge 2.0 that this phone is capable of you need a "special" charger that has 2.0 capability built into it as well

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I think this is right. Can't fathom why they didn't include a better charger in the box though. Can somebody compare speeds of the stock to a higher Amp charger?

Because the battery is non removable. The faster you charge a battery, the more it's going to degrade it. Lithium ion batteries have a very limited life, so instead of making it charge up really fast and not last as long, they opted to charge it a little slower so it well last a little longer

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I just read this as well. I'll report back when I get my 2.1A charger and let you guys know if it does in fact charge faster. Although I must say, last night was the first time I charged my M8(I got it mid-day yesterday) and I was surprised at how fast it charged with the stock charger and an aftermarket two meter usb cord.

BasicDroid

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Because the battery is non removable. The faster you charge a battery, the more it's going to degrade it. Lithium ion batteries have a very limited life, so instead of making it charge up really fast and not last as long, they opted to charge it a little slower so it well last a little longer

I believe you're wrong on that... Old-style batteries used to degrade in that manner. If you remember, that's why the manual always told you to do full charge/discharge cycles (and a 100% charge on first use). Newer style Li-Ion batteries perform well for a fixed number of charge cycles then degrade rapidly. That means you can charge/discharge as fast as you like. You also get no penalty for only charging to 25% all the time as it counts as a quarter cycle every time.

Of course, the more power you use, the quicker the battery will die.

I normally hate to quote Wikipedia but the article sums it up nicely...

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
We already knew they were shipping it with quick charge 1.0 chargers and no one was making chargers with quick charge 2.0 technology yet, until now. Htc has to go through the certification process now, let's hope it dosent take too long...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Some details in this article - Using a Quick Charge 2.0 charger will reduce the HTC One M8 charging times

According to the article, fast charging is better for the battery (I always believed it was the opposite, but admittedly don't know a lot about current battery tech).

Re: HTC shipping them with non quick charge 2.0 chargers, call me cynical but ,its probably due to cost!

I've read up a lot on Li-ion and Li-po (Lithium polymer, basically the same thing but different construction technique) batteries from getting into the r/c hobby, of which the M8 reportedly uses a Li-po from everything I've seen. Batteries can only be charged/discharged at a certain maximum rate known as the C rating. At 2000mAh, for example, a 1C rate would be 2000mA (a one to one ratio if you will) 2C would be 4000mA, etc. When it comes to charging, these batteries could typically be charged at a max 1C, regardless of the discharge rating. Just recently, at least in the r/c world, batteries have been coming out rated at 2C and 3C charge rates, greatly reducing charge times. This would have to be true in any battery in a Quick Charge 2.0 setup, meaning the M8 battery better be designed for the higher rates, or it could explode during charging at higher levels. I'm sure it is if they release OEM QC2 chargers for it.

That being said, nothing in all the reading I've seen even suggests that a battery rated for faster charge rates will benefit from doing so, for longevity or otherwise. I've read that in some of the earlier design higher charging batteries, their life *may* be reduced, but that wasn't conclusive and I'm sure technology has advanced a fair bit since then. So I think as long as the battery is rated for higher charging rates, then doing so shouldn't impact the life of the battery either way as long as the battery itself is healthy.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, it's just battery care and charging are a huge part of the electric r/c hobbies. People will spend just as much or more on batteries and charging setups as they do on the model they are running in, both for longevity of the batteries and safety in using and charging them. Since the battery chemistry is the same as in phones, much of that advice translates to our batteries as well.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchased a Quick Charge 2 capable charger and noticed a significant difference in charge time? Or are we still waiting on and update/product from HTC?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I see that the list here has been updated, but it still seems to be a mission to find any of them actually on sale. https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2014/06/04/quick-charge-20-has-arrived

I'm eyeing the Incipio one since it seems it's actually for sale and shipping, but man it's a lot of money for a car charger. Car Charger Lightning Cable-4.8 Amp High-Speed | Incipio

I did however charge my M8 with an old S4 charger that puts out 2 amps and that thing charges fast!!! It would be nice to have something like that in the car.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I really need a new car charger, but that incipio one seems overpriced. I can't seem to find it on Amazon or eBay either. It would be nice though because my car charger is slow!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463