HTC One (M8): Strange issue with WhatsApp

obake1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the M8 this week after finally being eligible for an upgrade and this is my first android phone.

Anyway, the first thing I tried was to use WhatsApp to record audio messages with a friend overseas, but there is some strange problems. Firstly, since you have to press and hold down on the icon to record a message, I have to literally put the phone right in front of my mouth and talk slightly louder than I would if I were having a conversation sitting at a table for the opposing end to hear me on their phone. If I hold the record button and talk as if I were holding the phone in my hand to read something, I'm barely audible on their end. However, I tested this the voice recorder and held it against my mouth and away and the playback seemed fine to me...

Another issue that's WhatsApp related is also quite strange and I don't know how to fix it. If I listen to an audio recording with the phone as if I'm taking a phone call, the audio playback is like speakerphone. However, if I listen to the recording with the phone away from my face, the audio only comes through the receiver as if you were taking a private phone call. It's like the reverse of what should happen?

Anyone offer insight on what's going on? Is my phone defective or do I just not have the settings correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Strange M8 issue with WhatsApp

I just purchased the M8 this week after finally being eligible for an upgrade and this is my first android phone.

Anyway, the first thing I tried was to use WhatsApp to record audio messages with a friend overseas, but there is some strange problems. Firstly, since you have to press and hold down on the icon to record a message, I have to literally put the phone right in front of my mouth and talk slightly louder than I would if I were having a conversation sitting at a table for the opposing end to hear me on their phone. If I hold the record button and talk as if I were holding the phone in my hand to read something, I'm barely audible on their end. However, I tested this the voice recorder and held it against my mouth and away and the playback seemed fine to me...

Another issue that's WhatsApp related is also quite strange and I don't know how to fix it. If I listen to an audio recording with the phone as if I'm taking a phone call, the audio playback is like speakerphone. However, if I listen to the recording with the phone away from my face, the audio only comes through the receiver as if you were taking a private phone call. It's like the reverse of what should happen?

Anyone offer insight on what's going on? Is my phone defective or do I just not have the settings correct?
I don't think anything is wrong with the phone. Check through the settings to see if there is some sort of hands free mode you enabled by accident. Also, have you uninstalled the app then reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2