Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evgeny Shatalov
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) keeps restarting

Hi ,I have had the m8 since Wednesday and it keeps randomly turning itself off then on again , I have contacted my carrier o2 in the UK and they are sending a replacement .
    I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same problem ?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-01-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Default Re: One m8 keeps restarting

I've had my M8 since last Thursday and all was well until today. I noticed that it was getting pretty hot so took it out of my pocket, to see that it wanted to send an error report to HTC. Looking at the error log, it was listing write errors. The phone has then since been switching itself on and off constantly for the past four hours. When I switch it off, it even switches itself back on again! I've tried soft resets, hard resets, disabling apps, etc. All with zero effect. I've noticed that the swipe gesture/double tap activation no longer seems to work either.

Bizarrely, the only thing that seems to stop the constant restarting is plugging it into the mains charger, which tends to suggest a battery/power related issue? Trying to get hold of EE customer services on my landline and have been holding for 10mins so far.

The plot thickens. I disabled the 'fast boot' setting and powered the phone down sucessfully and let it cool down. I've just powered it back up and all seems fine.

Watch this space....

Default Re: HTC One (M8) keeps restarting

Yea, some days it doesn't happen at all but on bad days, it can happen up to 4-8 times a day. In the past couple hours it resetted twice...is this something that can be fixed?

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine Wu View Post
    Yea, some days it doesn't happen at all but on bad days, it can happen up to 4-8 times a day. In the past couple hours it resetted twice...is this something that can be fixed?
    I would do a factory reset.

Posted with my CleanROM M8
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.

"I've had my M8 since last Thursday and all was well until today. I noticed that it was getting pretty hot so took it out of my pocket, to see that it wanted to send an error report to HTC. Looking at the error log, it was listing write errors. The phone has then since been switching itself on and off constantly for the past four hours. When I switch it off, it even switches itself back on again! I've tried soft resets, hard resets, disabling apps, etc. All with zero effect. I've noticed that the swipe gesture/double tap activation no longer seems to work either." -DKwok

I'm in the exact same situation - rcvd it on a Thurs, it "broke" a few days later. My issue was only w/incoming or outgoing calls. Internet and other items functioned perfectly (didn't reset itself) ... only phone calls were effected by this off/on thing. Solution for now is to return it for another one. Seems like something HTC could easily fix w/a software update/patch.

got this restarting issue today. clearing cashes helped. all you need to do is switch off the phone, hold vol. down + power buttons, enter recovery mode, clear the cashes(Dalvik as well), restart.
    Thanked by:
    Mohammed Raafat2 likes this.

Mine only did this when I overclocked it. Maybe a defective processor on yours.

I've had other droid phones that did random stuff like this but I've never had it happen on my M8 (except when overclocking).

Try running antutu benchmark a few times and see if it reboots in the middle of the test. If so, it's probably defective hardware.

Otherwise, it may be some app running in the background causing problems.

Thumbs up Re: HTC One (M8) keeps restarting

i would like to thank you very very very much for your great help for me .. your replay about this reboot issue helped me very well .. i was going to change my m8 an pay more money for that ,, i did what you advise us whith it and it is making my m8 does not make any random reboot at all and after making hard reset still very good and no effect of random reebot ,,,,,, your great advise ""<<<[B[/B].>>>""" was helped .. thanks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny Shatalov View Post
    got this restarting issue today. clearing cashes helped. all you need to do is switch off the phone, hold vol. down + power buttons, enter recovery mode, clear the cashes(Dalvik as well), restart.
    i would like to thank you very very very much for your great help for me .. your replay about this reboot issue helped me very well .. i was going to change my m8 an pay more money for that ,, i did what you advise us whith it and it is making my m8 does not make any random reboot at all and after making hard reset still very good and no effect of random reebot ,,,,,, your great advise ""<<<[B[/B].>>>""" was helped .. thanks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Raafat2 View Post
    my phone cannot be turned on after I tried to factory reset it. What can I do?