HTC One (M8): Keep screen on while charging

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I'm coming from an older HTC phone with ICS. With ICS, there was an option somewhere in the settings to keep the screen alive while charging. I have been through all the settings on the m8 (I think) and cannot find anything similar. Has anyone found it? I use this in my car, when I have the phone plugged in and listing to music, that way I dont have to turn the screen on to change tracks or see what artist is playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Keep screen on while charging

go to settings / about / software / more and click on build number a handful of times until it says you are a developer

then in settings / developer there is an option.

round about but it works :)

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Are you looking for Daydream mode? Settings>Display & Gestures>Daydream Mode. There are three options for me. Colors, Engadget, and Photo's. I think its meant to be activated when the phone is docked or charging.

burchdb

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

It works but the screen goes to its dimmest setting at the set time even with auto dimming turned off. It just doesn't go to a lock screen.

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site

go to settings / about / software / more and click on build number a handful of times until it says you are a developer

Perfect, just what I was looking for. Not sure why they buried that option under development; seems like a pretty common setting to me.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Wow. Never knew about this. Is this new specifically to this device? Or has this been implemented in other devices and I just didn't know?

Kinda like a little easter egg if you ask me.

Interesting.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

it's been this way ever since they took away the developer options being shown by default. kind of a l33t way to get to it i guess. i don't remember when the change happened. maybe in GB or JB

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Perfect, just what I was looking for. Not sure why they buried that option under development; seems like a pretty common setting to me.

Some phones, especially ones by Samsung tend to get screen burn in when you do that. Super Amoled it's finicky that way though to be fair my Moto X was always on and never burned in. I think the screen on this phone is SLCD 3. I don't think burn in its a problem with this type of screen but would definitely keep and eye on it just in case. I'm pretty sure that's why they hide the option in Android now though.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Tracy Lyn

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Oh my goodness thank you for asking the question and thank you so much for the answer! I loved that option on my HTC and after upgrading to this one (I think this is the third new model from my previous one) I was going nuts looking for it and was so disappointed that that option might not be available anymore. Now I can reclaim some of my sanity :)

SqlWolfe

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Great thread - but I don't see the stay awake or similar option under Developer Options. Can you tell me what you set specifically for this option?

SqlWolfe

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Odd timing, but I applied a new system update (now shows version 4.06.654.9) and the Stay Awake option is added and works as expected. Very pleased!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2