Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Carrier Unlocking

If I purchase the M8 at full price isn't the carrier - Verizon - supposed to unlock it for me at my request?

Default Re: Carrier Unlocking

Most Verizon 4G LTE phone are unlocked to begin with.... but others like T-Mobile and AT&T will usually unlock at your request once they are paid in full (or bought full price).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    7,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

They have the option to do that, yes. With Verizon specifically though, you probably don't need their help.

As said newer verizon lte phones come carrier unlocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does carrier unlocked even mean for cdma carriers? Wouldn't it need to be flashed somehow to run on any other network?

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    7,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    What does carrier unlocked even mean for cdma carriers? Wouldn't it need to be flashed somehow to run on any other network?

Most of the modern LTE devices have the GSM hardware and the software radios and it's just a matter of changing the network settings.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by LocationDudeNYC View Post
    If I purchase the M8 at full price isn't the carrier - Verizon - supposed to unlock it for me at my request?
    The vzw version comes unlocked

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post

most newer lte verizon phones are global phones since there is a sim card slot in them anyways. you just won't get LTE on anything but verizon. but will get hspa
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020

Quote Originally Posted by Adiliyo View Post
    most newer lte verizon phones are global phones since there is a sim card slot in them anyways. you just won't get LTE on anything but verizon. but will get hspa
    It depends on the phone. The Verizon iPhone 5s and 5c are factory sim unlocked and fully support all bands on AT&T and tmobile including 4GLTE.

Most recently released Verizon 4GLTE smartphones have 4GLTE aws capabilities. I personally tested a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on tmobile and was able to get 4glte. I had to set the phone in lte mode and only got lte in that mode.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Most Verizon 4G LTE phone are unlocked to begin with.... but others like T-Mobile and AT&T will usually unlock at your request once they are paid in full (or bought full price).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Just to be clear, when buying at full price, the device still has to be paid off in full.

There are ways around this like buying full retail from BestBuy and financing through them for 0% 18 months. By doing so, in the eyes of the carrier, the phone has been paid off.

Att and tmobile also impose other requirements, be sure to review their website for details.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro