Can apps be moved to SD card on HTC One (M8)?

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I am getting confusing responses on my resaerch. Can this be done? Can someone try it?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can apps be moved to SD card on M8?

Keep in mind that moving apps to sd card means that when your device is connected to a PC in USB File Sharing mode, you will not have access to those applications.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The answer is not as simple as yes. With Kit Kat the app needs to be updated to use the new SD card API's. I've asked, and the HTC Gallery is, so you can save Pics and Videos straight to it. Play Music has also been updated to it I believe.

The SD card functionality is not the same as it was on Gingerbread. Jerry wrote a great article on it:

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

The answer is not as simple as yes. With Kit Kat the app needs to be updated to use the new SD card API's. I've asked, and the HTC Gallery is, so you can save Pics and Videos straight to it. Play Music has also been updated to it I believe.

The SD card functionality is not the same as it was on Gingerbread. Jerry wrote a great article on it:

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

I believe the OP is asking about app 2 SD. That has been available for a while now and a lot of apps already support it. On my M8 I can move 17 apps to the SD already.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I don't think that exactly applies here.

HTC has enabled the "old" move to SD card functionality in Settings so almost all apps can be moved that way. This is different than the typical handling of an external sd card and apps.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I don't think that exactly applies here.

HTC has enabled the "old" move to SD card functionality in Settings so almost all apps can be moved that way. This is different than the typical handling of an external sd card and apps.

No they haven't. They can't. It has to be the Kit Kat way or no way. Even Samsung was forced to do things the Kit Kat way, and not the old way that they kept re-engineering back into the OS.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

No they haven't. They can't. It has to be the Kit Kat way or no way. Even Samsung was forced to do things the Kit Kat way, and not the old way that they kept re-engineering back into the OS.
I guess what I meant was, the apps that can move to sd card aren't just limited to apps that use media. The apps have to use proper permissions of course, and the data won't be readable within the OS through a file manager, but the data will still exist on the SD card.

The data is put on the sd card in .android_secure, just like the "old way", even though it's done in a roundabout way to allow for all the KitKat changes.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

Here is a screenshot of the app 2 sd screen.

2l2hcc2l.png

hdradaza

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I now have my M8. I just realized that I can move some apps. Not most apps to sd. Most apps have the MOVE grayed out. Is this because of permissions? I just feel like I was able to move more apps to sd with my note3

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I now have my M8. I just realized that I can move some apps. Not most apps to sd. Most apps have the MOVE grayed out. Is this because of permissions? I just feel like I was able to move more apps to sd with my note3

It's because of Kit Kat. Apps have to be updated to use the new API's that were introduced. When the Note 3 gets Kit Kat (some have I think) it'll be the same way on it too.

NV1985

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So with the HTC One M8 you still can't move many of the apps to the SD? I ask because I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and about 95% of the apps I download CANNOT be moved to my SD card. I had upgraded from an oooold 3g slider phone and was really disappointed that I couldn't transfer the apps. I'm thinking about "jumping" with tmobile to the HTC ONE M8 but am wondering if you still won't be able to without rooting the phone.

Thanks!