Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Default Re: Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

Quote Originally Posted by mario64 View Post
    Thanks for the tip about Blinkfeed. I'll disable it too. Don't use it anyway
    I've had my M8 for a few weeks now. I have a power manager to turn of the radios when they aren't in use, I disabled BlinkFeed, I use a control bar to turn off the data connection since I'm almost always on WiFi, and I disabled apps like NFL that I'll never use. I have the screen dim as well, yet the battery still drops 10-15% soon after taking it off the charger and web browsing or checking email (morning routine). I kill apps when I leave them, and I have a strong signal, although that shouldn't deplete a battery much anyhow. What am I missing? I heard Chrome is an issue on this phone. I just got the firmware update that should have fixed the camera drain bug. I have the power sleep mode turned on, no others available on Verizon version. *oh, I always have location disabled as well. I maybe enable it once a day for a few minutes to sync the weather on my Pebble. BTW, could that be the big drain...Pebble Watch?

Quote Originally Posted by nictlg7 View Post
    I've had my M8 for a few weeks now. I have a power manager to turn of the radios when they aren't in use, I disabled BlinkFeed, I use a control bar to turn off the data connection since I'm almost always on WiFi, and I disabled apps like NFL that I'll never use. I have the screen dim as well, yet the battery still drops 10-15% soon after taking it off the charger and web browsing or checking email (morning routine). I kill apps when I leave them, and I have a strong signal, although that shouldn't deplete a battery much anyhow. What am I missing? I heard Chrome is an issue on this phone. I just got the firmware update that should have fixed the camera drain bug. I have the power sleep mode turned on, no others available on Verizon version. *oh, I always have location disabled as well. I maybe enable it once a day for a few minutes to sync the weather on my Pebble. BTW, could that be the big drain...Pebble Watch?
    I have experienced very good battery life with my M8. I set mine up to use all the features I like and need, data connection always on, wifi always on even though I don't connect w to it while at work, location service set to high accuracy, Google Now on, Bluetooth always on, syncing two email accounts, etc. I use Chrome (no issues). I don't routinely kill any apps and use the phone without worrying about battery and always had plenty of battery by the end of my day. You have taken some aggressive methods to conserve power and by doing so it would seem battery conservation would not be a problem. I would suggest you start looking for any apps that are causing your battery drain. Have you been watching your power settings history to see what is using up your battery? I don't have a heavy morning routine with my phone but do check my emails and Google Now for my commute to work and I don't experience any significant battery drain as a result, generally the percentage doesn't even move off of 100% when doing so. Look for a rogue app or try going without Pebble and see what happens.

When you guys talk about battery cycles does this mean running the device to zero? It's my second full day and I know it's early but I'm not seeing amazing battery life and I've good signal. Just would be interested to know as I'm currently topping up the battery and not letting it drop.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Thb91 View Post
    When you guys talk about battery cycles does this mean running the device to zero? It's my second full day and I know it's early but I'm not seeing amazing battery life and I've good signal. Just would be interested to know as I'm currently topping up the battery and not letting it drop.

No don't run it down to zero. The general consensus on newer batteries is to top off early and often. Running down too low is considered bad for these batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    No don't run it down to zero. The general consensus on newer batteries is to top off early and often. Running down too low is considered bad for these batteries.
    Okay great. Thanks for the reply, but then what are people referring to when they say "cycles" exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Thb91 View Post
    Okay great. Thanks for the reply, but then what are people referring to when they say "cycles" exactly?

Charge / discharge cycles, charge it up, use it then recharge. It's ok to run it down if you need to, just don't totally deplete the battery to zero - that's not good.

Hi, I am new to forum and my first posting.. I just share my battery usage..I bought my M8 on last Friday.. I don't know whether my bettery going gud or okay..usually I charge my phone at 9pm and it will be fully charged by 12am midnight, then I take off from charging and leave it. When I saw it in morning by 8am will be arounf 85%. Then after whole day use (Whatsapp, candy crush, viber, some calls ,FB etc) not full time use just moderate. it will be around 10% at 8 o clock. Screen time will be around 4hours avg. I think, battery is not up to gud level like others.

GSAM saying:

Average per Complete Charge

Battery Life: 19h 7m (7h om active)
    Screen on: 5h 3m(4h 39m max)

Please give me comment or suggestion whether it is working as it is or not

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by cheenusrivel View Post
    Hi, I am new to forum and my first posting.. I just share my battery usage..I bought my M8 on last Friday.. I don't know whether my bettery going gud or okay..usually I charge my phone at 9pm and it will be fully charged by 12am midnight, then I take off from charging and leave it. When I saw it in morning by 8am will be arounf 85%. Then after whole day use (Whatsapp, candy crush, viber, some calls ,FB etc) not full time use just moderate. it will be around 10% at 8 o clock. Screen time will be around 4hours avg. I think, battery is not up to gud level like others.

GSAM saying:

Average per Complete Charge

Battery Life: 19h 7m (7h om active)
    Screen on: 5h 3m(4h 39m max)

Please give me comment or suggestion whether it is working as it is or not

Thanks in advance
    I'm right where you are, but there are others with better.... Maybe is it that carrier versions get worse battery life?

I used to be getting 22hrs-1 day 6hrs of battery life. Now I am getting 18hrs at best and the last two days I am lucky to get 10hrs. Something in google servies is keeping my phone awake pretty much all the time. I can't figure out what it is. I have done several restarts. I hope to not have to do a hard reset.

The 9% drop over 8 hrs is great that's 1%/hr meaning you'd get about 100hrs outta full charge, my at&t m8 I average about 3% drop per hour with moderate usage, Internet, texts etc.. Which still would put me at 30 hrs on full charge, if you can get a day out a charge with decent usage that's pretty good. However I usually have ps mode on most of the time

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Several things about the M8, 4.4.3 killed battery life. The 4.4.4 update restored much of it. Also, poor cell signal absolutely destroys the battery life on this phone. Also, I believe android doesn't really let the battery run to zero to protect it. The display may show zero and shut the phone off, but there is always reserve.

I ran into the same problem with my new HTC One M8.
    Actually I charged the phone only twice since I got it.
    At the second charge, I went to sleep with 99% battery while all apps were closed and after 6.5~ hours, it was 89% which is a lot in my opinion.
    Based on some recommendations, I installed GSam Battery Monitor, please see below results.
    Do the results seem fine to you? I'm not really sure how to read them.
    Are there any recommendations of how to 'avoid' this 10% loss overnight?
    On that matter, it seems like the GSam consumes 9.1% power. When I close the app, does it stop monitoring and consuming power or it works in the background and keeps consuming?

Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life-unnamed.png

Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123