Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Finally made some progress. Disabled Location Reporting and Location History. Went to bed at 100%. Got up at 94%. Much better. It's held up well during the day today too.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
buzyra4a.jpg

First full day

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
First full day

50% screen time with 12 hours looks pretty darn good to me. I'm getting over 24 hours because my phone is on standby most of the day. (2.1%/hr average with my light usage)
My old Rezound with extended battery wouldn't last overnight with a 50% charge.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 49

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
50% screen time with 12 hours looks pretty darn good to me. I'm getting over 24 hours because my phone is on standby most of the day. (2.1%/hr average with my light usage)

Don't forget about the two hours of voice calls I made. ;)

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Very happy with this battery life. First few days it seemed to drain quicker, but I think it's settled down. This was a typical day for me...good LTE signal at work with usage every now and then to check twitter, IG, FB, etc. I stream Google Play Music while at the gym with a good (but not as good as at work) LTE signal for about an hour to an hour and a half. Also sent and received text messages throughout the day, but mostly at night. This is the Sprint version.

Unplugged around 7:45am, plugged back in around 10:30pm with 28% remaining.

media-20140402 (5).png

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Didn't I previously stated something along the lines of Android sucks in standby while ios doesn't? That seems to be the major difference. I have a Nexus 7, galaxy s3 and a ipad, two of the three mentioned devices suck in standby, and I'm sure both have larger batteries than my Air, especially my phone with its 7000mah extended battery.

My Nexus 7 can go days on standby if I dont use it. Not all android devices suck on standby. My M7 gets great standby as well.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
What are people not charging their phone while they sleep? The way phones are now if you wake up and pull your phone off the charger you should go all day till you go to bed again.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
What are people not charging their phone while they sleep? The way phones are now if you wake up and pull your phone off the charger you should go all day till you go to bed again.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

That's how I usually do it

Posted via Android Central App

nictlg7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip about Blinkfeed. I'll disable it too. Don't use it anyway

I've had my M8 for a few weeks now. I have a power manager to turn of the radios when they aren't in use, I disabled BlinkFeed, I use a control bar to turn off the data connection since I'm almost always on WiFi, and I disabled apps like NFL that I'll never use. I have the screen dim as well, yet the battery still drops 10-15% soon after taking it off the charger and web browsing or checking email (morning routine). I kill apps when I leave them, and I have a strong signal, although that shouldn't deplete a battery much anyhow. What am I missing? I heard Chrome is an issue on this phone. I just got the firmware update that should have fixed the camera drain bug. I have the power sleep mode turned on, no others available on Verizon version. *oh, I always have location disabled as well. I maybe enable it once a day for a few minutes to sync the weather on my Pebble. BTW, could that be the big drain...Pebble Watch?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had my M8 for a few weeks now. I have a power manager to turn of the radios when they aren't in use, I disabled BlinkFeed, I use a control bar to turn off the data connection since I'm almost always on WiFi, and I disabled apps like NFL that I'll never use. I have the screen dim as well, yet the battery still drops 10-15% soon after taking it off the charger and web browsing or checking email (morning routine). I kill apps when I leave them, and I have a strong signal, although that shouldn't deplete a battery much anyhow. What am I missing? I heard Chrome is an issue on this phone. I just got the firmware update that should have fixed the camera drain bug. I have the power sleep mode turned on, no others available on Verizon version. *oh, I always have location disabled as well. I maybe enable it once a day for a few minutes to sync the weather on my Pebble. BTW, could that be the big drain...Pebble Watch?

I have experienced very good battery life with my M8. I set mine up to use all the features I like and need, data connection always on, wifi always on even though I don't connect w to it while at work, location service set to high accuracy, Google Now on, Bluetooth always on, syncing two email accounts, etc. I use Chrome (no issues). I don't routinely kill any apps and use the phone without worrying about battery and always had plenty of battery by the end of my day. You have taken some aggressive methods to conserve power and by doing so it would seem battery conservation would not be a problem. I would suggest you start looking for any apps that are causing your battery drain. Have you been watching your power settings history to see what is using up your battery? I don't have a heavy morning routine with my phone but do check my emails and Google Now for my commute to work and I don't experience any significant battery drain as a result, generally the percentage doesn't even move off of 100% when doing so. Look for a rogue app or try going without Pebble and see what happens.

Thb91

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
When you guys talk about battery cycles does this mean running the device to zero? It's my second full day and I know it's early but I'm not seeing amazing battery life and I've good signal. Just would be interested to know as I'm currently topping up the battery and not letting it drop.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
When you guys talk about battery cycles does this mean running the device to zero? It's my second full day and I know it's early but I'm not seeing amazing battery life and I've good signal. Just would be interested to know as I'm currently topping up the battery and not letting it drop.

No don't run it down to zero. The general consensus on newer batteries is to top off early and often. Running down too low is considered bad for these batteries.

Thb91

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
No don't run it down to zero. The general consensus on newer batteries is to top off early and often. Running down too low is considered bad for these batteries.

Okay great. Thanks for the reply, but then what are people referring to when they say "cycles" exactly?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay great. Thanks for the reply, but then what are people referring to when they say "cycles" exactly?

Charge / discharge cycles, charge it up, use it then recharge. It's ok to run it down if you need to, just don't totally deplete the battery to zero - that's not good.

cheenusrivel

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am new to forum and my first posting.. I just share my battery usage..I bought my M8 on last Friday.. I don't know whether my bettery going gud or okay..usually I charge my phone at 9pm and it will be fully charged by 12am midnight, then I take off from charging and leave it. When I saw it in morning by 8am will be arounf 85%. Then after whole day use (Whatsapp, candy crush, viber, some calls ,FB etc) not full time use just moderate. it will be around 10% at 8 o clock. Screen time will be around 4hours avg. I think, battery is not up to gud level like others.

GSAM saying:

Average per Complete Charge

Battery Life: 19h 7m (7h om active)
Screen on: 5h 3m(4h 39m max)

Please give me comment or suggestion whether it is working as it is or not

Thanks in advance

thepurpleturtle

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am new to forum and my first posting.. I just share my battery usage..I bought my M8 on last Friday.. I don't know whether my bettery going gud or okay..usually I charge my phone at 9pm and it will be fully charged by 12am midnight, then I take off from charging and leave it. When I saw it in morning by 8am will be arounf 85%. Then after whole day use (Whatsapp, candy crush, viber, some calls ,FB etc) not full time use just moderate. it will be around 10% at 8 o clock. Screen time will be around 4hours avg. I think, battery is not up to gud level like others.

GSAM saying:

Average per Complete Charge

Battery Life: 19h 7m (7h om active)
Screen on: 5h 3m(4h 39m max)

Please give me comment or suggestion whether it is working as it is or not

Thanks in advance

I'm right where you are, but there are others with better.... Maybe is it that carrier versions get worse battery life?

cccoltsicehockey

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I used to be getting 22hrs-1 day 6hrs of battery life. Now I am getting 18hrs at best and the last two days I am lucky to get 10hrs. Something in google servies is keeping my phone awake pretty much all the time. I can't figure out what it is. I have done several restarts. I hope to not have to do a hard reset.

Timmy Zieman

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The 9% drop over 8 hrs is great that's 1%/hr meaning you'd get about 100hrs outta full charge, my at&t m8 I average about 3% drop per hour with moderate usage, Internet, texts etc.. Which still would put me at 30 hrs on full charge, if you can get a day out a charge with decent usage that's pretty good. However I usually have ps mode on most of the time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12