Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

I know the consensus is that the M8 gets great battery life but I'm not sure I'm seeing it from my Verizon M8. For example, when I went to bed last night it was at 91%.. When I woke up 8 hours later it was at 80%. That seems like an awful lot of drain during standby. After I got up I used it for ~20 mins to surf a few web sites and it dropped to 72%. Is this normal? I have auto brightness off and brightness set to 50%. Are there any apps i need to remove or other changes I can make or should I return it for a replacement?
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,699 Global Posts

Default Re: Is this normal re: M8 battery life

Can you install gsam battery and attach a screenshot after a day of usage?

Posted via Android Central App
    LindtChocolate likes this.

Default Re: Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

Weak signal strength may cause elevated standby battery drain, how many bars do you have?

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

I always tell myself that I won't see the full potential of the battery on any new device until I've run a few charging cycles on it. The first two or three times I charged my M8's battery it seemed to last 1/3 of the day with moderate use and I now after a few more charge cycles I'm seeing the battery already almost last a full day on one charge. And I still expect it to get better.
    yellowchilli likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get a GSAM screen shot up this evening (right now it says used 43% in 17h 53m). I'm getting 3-4 bars signal strength. Glad to hear things may improve after a few charge cycles as well. I believe last night was my 3rd one.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Using only 43% of the battery in just under 18 hrs is bad? Lol, what are you actually expecting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    imnraged likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruhi View Post
    Using only 43% of the battery in just under 18 hrs is bad? Lol, what are you actually expecting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Coming from an iPhone 5 quite a bit more. Keep in mind I've barely used it in all that time. Maybe 30 minutes surfing the internet. The rest has been in standby

I've had the One (M8) for 3 days now, coming from a Galaxy S3. Great interface and seemless & speedy in use, barely any lag to speak of. However, I'm also a bit unsure about the battery life. For example, when browsing the web using chrome via wifi at 50% brightness, the battery drains 1% after approx 3 mins. That translates to around 5 hours web browsing to drain a full battery. I have come come others test on battery life claiming 9 hours + web browsing time, which seems unrealistic. Battery life isn't bad so far, but not what I was expecting given other early impressions. I too am hoping that it will improve after a few charge cycles.

In reference to the battery drain on standby, I had a similar issue. That seems to be sorted now after disabling blinkfeed. I went to sleep with the battery @ 50%, and woke up with it still at 50%!

I'm currently charging my phone via USB from 0%; it's been charging for 3.5 hours, and still only @ 78%. How long does it normally take you to charge the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by mario64 View Post
    when I went to bed last night it was at 91%.. When I woke up 8 hours later it was at 80%
    Plug your phone in at night.

I'll get a GSAM screen shot up this evening (right now it says used 43% in 17h 53m)
    43% in 18 hours is normal. That's actually pretty good.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
    imnraged likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HVL87 View Post
    I've had the One (M8) for 3 days now, coming from a Galaxy S3. Great interface and seemless & speedy in use, barely any lag to speak of. However, I'm also a bit unsure about the battery life. For example, when browsing the web using chrome via wifi at 50% brightness, the battery drains 1% after approx 3 mins. That translates to around 5 hours web browsing to drain a full battery. I have come come others test on battery life claiming 9 hours + web browsing time, which seems unrealistic. Battery life isn't bad so far, but not what I was expecting given other early impressions. I too am hoping that it will improve after a few charge cycles.

In reference to the battery drain on standby, I had a similar issue. That seems to be sorted now after disabling blinkfeed. I went to sleep with the battery @ 50%, and woke up with it still at 50%!

I'm currently charging my phone via USB from 0%; it's been charging for 3.5 hours, and still only @ 78%. How long does it normally take you to charge the battery?
    Thanks for the tip about Blinkfeed. I'll disable it too. Don't use it anyway

Coming from an iPhone 5 quite a bit more. Keep in mind I've barely used it in all that time. Maybe 30 minutes surfing the internet. The rest has been in standby
    Android sucks in standby, you can always expect to lose battery life over night. Where as I can fully charge my iPad, to out for 12 hours, come home with my battery at 98%.

I'm not sure why android devices can't be as good in standby

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    ladyc0524 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Android sucks in standby, you can always expect to lose battery life over night. Where as I can fully charge my iPad, to out for 12 hours, come home with my battery at 98%.

Tablet battery usage is very different than a phone. That said, I had better battery performance with my iPhones than my One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    Tablet battery usage is very different than a phone. That said, I had better battery performance with my iPhones than my One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Really? How so? I use my tablet to capture more notifications than even my phone collects, and the iPad turns it's screen on after every notification, so to have that great battery life is pretty ridiculous, as compared to how my phone and my Android tablet work

How much screen on time do you have? Why don't you post a screenshot of GSAM's stuff? Include a screenshot of app usage from GSAM too.

Really? How so? I use my tablet to capture more notifications than even my phone collects, and the iPad turns it's screen on after every notification, so to have that great battery life is pretty ridiculous, as compared to how my phone and my Android tablet work
    Seriously? First, tablets have way larger batteries. Second, they're rarely relying on their 3G/LTE antennas which are giant battery hogs. Third, they're used far less than a phone. Notifications are not a significant battery drain.
    SactoKingsFan and B0WIE like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LindtChocolate View Post
    How much screen on time do you have? Why don't you post a screenshot of GSAM's stuff? Include a screenshot of app usage from GSAM too.
    This was taken just now while the phone is charging.
    Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life-screenshot_2014-03-30-22-35-43.jpg

Seriously? First, tablets have way larger batteries. Second, they're rarely relying on their 3G/LTE antennas which are giant battery hogs. Third, they're used far less than a phone. Notifications are not a significant battery drain.
    You said total battery usage was different between phones and tablets, usage, not size. I use my devices the same.

You said total battery usage was different between phones and tablets, usage, not size. I use my devices the same.

That's exactly right, for the reasons I stated. Listen, it should be fairly obvious that comparing battery usage between phones and tablets is a unless endeavor. It's apples and oranges.

Default Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

That's exactly right, for the reasons I stated. Listen, it should be fairly obvious that comparing battery usage between phones and tablets is a unless endeavor. It's apples and oranges.
    That's funny because I have a 7000mah battery in my phone while I believe my iPad Air has a smaller one. Yet ones standby is drastically different from the others , and your radio argument can't possibly be the only factor

That's funny because I have a 7000mah battery in my phone while I believe my iPad Air has a smaller one. Yet ones standby is drastically different from the others , and your radio argument can't possibly be the only factor

The radio is probably the largest draw on the battery, but the fact that you're going to also introduce two different OSs is another huge flaw in you're comparison.

My iPad 2 gets far better battery life than my M7 One, but that's because it's a tablet running iOS and not a mobile phone running Android. It's apples and oranges. Batteries are different, OSs are different, radios are different and usage is different.
    ttwiitch likes this.

I've only had the phone since Thursday, but I am pleasantly with the battery life so far. I get through the day with heavy use and still have about 35% to 40% by the time I go to sleep. Does think it may be because I'm in an area with excellent cell signal, but compared to the Nexus 5 I had, it does appear to be way better.

Posted via Android Central App

The radio is probably the largest draw on the battery, but the fact that you're going to also introduce two different OSs is another huge flaw in you're comparison.

My iPad 2 gets far better battery life than my M7 One, but that's because it's a tablet running iOS and not a mobile phone running Android. It's apples and oranges. Batteries are different, OSs are different, radios are different and usage is different.
    Didn't I previously stated something along the lines of Android sucks in standby while ios doesn't? That seems to be the major difference. I have a Nexus 7, galaxy s3 and a ipad, two of the three mentioned devices suck in standby, and I'm sure both have larger batteries than my Air, especially my phone with its 7000mah extended battery.

That's not true any more. My Razr HD can lose only 1~2% overnight like 7 hours while on WiFi and 2~3% on LTE. And from what I see, S4, G2, Note 3 can do that easily too. This is mostly due to better, efficient snapdragon/radio chipset and android OS optimization since ICS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdroids View Post
    That's not true any more. My Razr HD can lose only 1~2% overnight like 7 hours while on WiFi and 2~3% on LTE. And from what I see, S4, G2, Note 3 can do that easily too. This is mostly due to better, efficient snapdragon/radio chipset and android OS optimization since ICS.
    Sure doesn't work that way on my android devices nor the TC's device. My devices are on jelly and kit kat.

I lose anywhere between 5-8% over night on each

Sure doesn't work that way on my android devices nor the TC's device. My devices are on jelly and kit kat.

I lose anywhere between 5-8% over night on each

It depends on how it's used. Just because you had such experience doesn't mean others can't get better battery life overnight. It could be you had some rogue apps syncing too much, consuming battery through sleeping or you were in bad signal area. Still 5~8% overnight is not that bad if for those reasons. Another thing is I always keep GPS off while sleeping through night. If GPS is left on, google location service will drink more juice.

On every new android phone forum since S3, I watched threads on overnight battery drain and of course it varies with users. but generally new android device are pretty good battery sippers overnight unless there is some issues with apps or location for signal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast