Is this normal re: HTC One (M8) battery life

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I know the consensus is that the M8 gets great battery life but I'm not sure I'm seeing it from my Verizon M8. For example, when I went to bed last night it was at 91%.. When I woke up 8 hours later it was at 80%. That seems like an awful lot of drain during standby. After I got up I used it for ~20 mins to surf a few web sites and it dropped to 72%. Is this normal? I have auto brightness off and brightness set to 50%. Are there any apps i need to remove or other changes I can make or should I return it for a replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Is this normal re: M8 battery life

Can you install gsam battery and attach a screenshot after a day of usage?

Posted via Android Central App

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I always tell myself that I won't see the full potential of the battery on any new device until I've run a few charging cycles on it. The first two or three times I charged my M8's battery it seemed to last 1/3 of the day with moderate use and I now after a few more charge cycles I'm seeing the battery already almost last a full day on one charge. And I still expect it to get better.

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get a GSAM screen shot up this evening (right now it says used 43% in 17h 53m). I'm getting 3-4 bars signal strength. Glad to hear things may improve after a few charge cycles as well. I believe last night was my 3rd one.

ruhi

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Using only 43% of the battery in just under 18 hrs is bad? Lol, what are you actually expecting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Using only 43% of the battery in just under 18 hrs is bad? Lol, what are you actually expecting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Coming from an iPhone 5 quite a bit more. Keep in mind I've barely used it in all that time. Maybe 30 minutes surfing the internet. The rest has been in standby

HVL87

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had the One (M8) for 3 days now, coming from a Galaxy S3. Great interface and seemless & speedy in use, barely any lag to speak of. However, I'm also a bit unsure about the battery life. For example, when browsing the web using chrome via wifi at 50% brightness, the battery drains 1% after approx 3 mins. That translates to around 5 hours web browsing to drain a full battery. I have come come others test on battery life claiming 9 hours + web browsing time, which seems unrealistic. Battery life isn't bad so far, but not what I was expecting given other early impressions. I too am hoping that it will improve after a few charge cycles.

In reference to the battery drain on standby, I had a similar issue. That seems to be sorted now after disabling blinkfeed. I went to sleep with the battery @ 50%, and woke up with it still at 50%!

I'm currently charging my phone via USB from 0%; it's been charging for 3.5 hours, and still only @ 78%. How long does it normally take you to charge the battery?

mario64

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had the One (M8) for 3 days now, coming from a Galaxy S3. Great interface and seemless & speedy in use, barely any lag to speak of. However, I'm also a bit unsure about the battery life. For example, when browsing the web using chrome via wifi at 50% brightness, the battery drains 1% after approx 3 mins. That translates to around 5 hours web browsing to drain a full battery. I have come come others test on battery life claiming 9 hours + web browsing time, which seems unrealistic. Battery life isn't bad so far, but not what I was expecting given other early impressions. I too am hoping that it will improve after a few charge cycles.

In reference to the battery drain on standby, I had a similar issue. That seems to be sorted now after disabling blinkfeed. I went to sleep with the battery @ 50%, and woke up with it still at 50%!

I'm currently charging my phone via USB from 0%; it's been charging for 3.5 hours, and still only @ 78%. How long does it normally take you to charge the battery?
Thanks for the tip about Blinkfeed. I'll disable it too. Don't use it anyway

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone 5 quite a bit more. Keep in mind I've barely used it in all that time. Maybe 30 minutes surfing the internet. The rest has been in standby

Android sucks in standby, you can always expect to lose battery life over night. Where as I can fully charge my iPad, to out for 12 hours, come home with my battery at 98%.

I'm not sure why android devices can't be as good in standby

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Android sucks in standby, you can always expect to lose battery life over night. Where as I can fully charge my iPad, to out for 12 hours, come home with my battery at 98%.

I'm not sure why android devices can't be as good in standby

Tablet battery usage is very different than a phone. That said, I had better battery performance with my iPhones than my One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Tablet battery usage is very different than a phone. That said, I had better battery performance with my iPhones than my One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Really? How so? I use my tablet to capture more notifications than even my phone collects, and the iPad turns it's screen on after every notification, so to have that great battery life is pretty ridiculous, as compared to how my phone and my Android tablet work

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Really? How so? I use my tablet to capture more notifications than even my phone collects, and the iPad turns it's screen on after every notification, so to have that great battery life is pretty ridiculous, as compared to how my phone and my Android tablet work
Seriously? First, tablets have way larger batteries. Second, they're rarely relying on their 3G/LTE antennas which are giant battery hogs. Third, they're used far less than a phone. Notifications are not a significant battery drain.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? First, tablets have way larger batteries. Second, they're rarely relying on their 3G/LTE antennas which are giant battery hogs. Third, they're used far less than a phone. Notifications are not a significant battery drain.

You said total battery usage was different between phones and tablets, usage, not size. I use my devices the same.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You said total battery usage was different between phones and tablets, usage, not size. I use my devices the same.

That's exactly right, for the reasons I stated. Listen, it should be fairly obvious that comparing battery usage between phones and tablets is a unless endeavor. It's apples and oranges.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly right, for the reasons I stated. Listen, it should be fairly obvious that comparing battery usage between phones and tablets is a unless endeavor. It's apples and oranges.

That's funny because I have a 7000mah battery in my phone while I believe my iPad Air has a smaller one. Yet ones standby is drastically different from the others , and your radio argument can't possibly be the only factor

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
That's funny because I have a 7000mah battery in my phone while I believe my iPad Air has a smaller one. Yet ones standby is drastically different from the others , and your radio argument can't possibly be the only factor

The radio is probably the largest draw on the battery, but the fact that you're going to also introduce two different OSs is another huge flaw in you're comparison.

My iPad 2 gets far better battery life than my M7 One, but that's because it's a tablet running iOS and not a mobile phone running Android. It's apples and oranges. Batteries are different, OSs are different, radios are different and usage is different.