HTC One (M8) or Samsung Galaxy Note 3?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The definition of innovation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation

Whether you think they are or not, the dual front facing speakers haven't been done before and definitely meet the needs of the smartphone market

Posted via Android Central App

Firstly, my definition and yours for this term are different. Second, Wikipedia, really? Third, By your own definition, the one still doesn't meet the requirements.

Innovation*is the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.*

Is dual speakers on a smart phone a need? Can you honestly say that?

Blackthanos

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
No, quite the contrary.
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I go through a lot of phones (especially the last year or so). The M7 was the one phone I owned the longest last year, and it was my favorite.

The Note 3 is a great phone. The battery and screen are awesome, but the build leaves a lot to be desired for me. Plus, I kinda miss having a somewhat manageable phone for single handed use.

Not that I'd expect everyone to be able to do this but is it possible for you to have them both? I have two lines on my Verizon account. One for work(Galaxy Note 3) and one personal(currently HTC Rezound but my upgrade is ready so soon to be M8). That way I am lucky enough to sort of get the best of both worlds so to speak. The note does come in very handy for work and it's a good phone. At the same time I do know what you mean about the build on Sammy phones. It's not bad at all and they preform quite well but there tends to be something in the back of your mind that says this should feel sturdier...more premium. Not really sure how to put it but I'm sure by this point everyone knows what I mean. If you can't get both then I'd say wait until you're ready, go to the store and play with both. Decide which fits more of your needs and go with that.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Firstly, my definition and yours for this term are different. Second, Wikipedia, really? Third, By your own definition, the one still doesn't meet the requirements.

Innovation*is the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.*

Is dual speakers on a smart phone a need? Can you honestly say that?

Don't like Wikipedia? Here's Merriam Webster's definition
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

Like I posted before, 53% of smartphone use, android and ios, is games and entertainment. That sounds like pretty big need for better speakers.

I can honestly say that after I experienced them, they become a need especially when I hear any other phone's speakers. It obviously isn't your need, but can you say it isn't a need for other people? No, you don't speak for everybody, though you talk like you do

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't like Wikipedia? Here's Merriam Webster's definition
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/innovation

Like I posted before, 53% of smartphone use, android and ios, is games and entertainment. That sounds like pretty big need for better speakers.

I can honestly say that after I experienced them, they become a need especially when I hear any other phone's speakers. It obviously isn't your need, but can you say it isn't a need for other people? No, you don't speak for everybody, though you talk like you do

I believe I previously stated imo, lol.

vmorel1

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Just switched from the Note 3 today. I'll be honest, I am liking the M8 much more. However, it may be due to having owned 3 samsungs in the past and getting tired of touchwiz and essentially the same build quality.

Disclaimer: I switched from the Note 3 due to the mic going out and not feeling like dealing with warranty nonsense. It was a terrific phone, but there's something about this M8 that just makes me happy.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Not that I'd expect everyone to be able to do this but is it possible for you to have them both? I have two lines on my Verizon account. One for work(Galaxy Note 3) and one personal(currently HTC Rezound but my upgrade is ready so soon to be M8). That way I am lucky enough to sort of get the best of both worlds so to speak. The note does come in very handy for work and it's a good phone. At the same time I do know what you mean about the build on Sammy phones. It's not bad at all and they preform quite well but there tends to be something in the back of your mind that says this should feel sturdier...more premium. Not really sure how to put it but I'm sure by this point everyone knows what I mean. If you can't get both then I'd say wait until you're ready, go to the store and play with both. Decide which fits more of your needs and go with that.

I completely agree. I am using the same setup you plan to, two lines with Note 3 for work and M8 for personal use. It is proving to be a pretty ideal setup after a week of using it. At least, ideal for me.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They have them at AT&T? There was supposed to be a retail exclusivity for Verizon until April 10th? So much for that lol

I know. I was at AT&T last weekend, four days after the launch, and they had it in stock and on demo. That April 10 thing did not pan out for Verizon.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Well, I don't have the cake to make that happen. Work doesn't pay for a thing. But aside from that, when you customize everything the way you want, and have stuff you want stored in memory, I'd find it really skitzo to operate two.

Damn, this is a really, really tough choice. I want those speakers and I want the big screen and stylus/write/draw capability.
Maybe I should wait for the One Max M8 to come out. At least get one of the additional attributes I'm looking for.
(Why can't those dopes at Samsung put some speakers on the Note?)

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had my eye on the Note 3 for a while. I like the 5.7" screen, and the stylus/drawing apps would be useful in my professional life (architectural designer ). But I'm tired of Sammy's lame and tired p cheap plasic housings (on a $700 device, that's almost unacceptable to me)..and the tired old TouchWiz doesn't do much for me.

The build quality on the M8 is very impressive and now that it sports a micro SD, it's a very attractive option. I also REALLY like having forward -facing stereo speakers. But I'd have to accept the mediocre camera and useless dual lens and Zoe gimmicks and of course wouldn't get the stylus.
or a removable battery.

So, I'm stuck on the fence. Anyone in a similar position or have advice based on experience with both?
Thanks.

Just switched from a N3 to the M8 - the HTC runs circles around the Samsung. It's much better built, the screen's nicer (albeit slightly smaller), the skin is MUCH nicer compared to the Samsung abomination. The camera on the N3 isn't exactly great, either.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One (M8) ... or Note 3

Agree not sure why there are comparisons two different types of devices

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Agreed. However, they are both the premium/flagship device for each of the respective manufacturers.
And there's probably a significant range of buyers who will not understand or care about either the stylus/draw aspects of the N3 or the speakers/sound of the M8.
Albeit gingerbread, I am used to TouchWiz and the N3 Touchwiz has that familiarity...although I like the idea of the stripped-down functionality and appearance of Sense6, I'm going to be in for some re-learning there...and it appears that many of the icons or options are very minimalistic and not as "eye-popping" or intuitive.

I find that on some webpages for hipsters and designers...the home button is a yellow dot, or whatever...the important menu items are little pieces of text or lines...makes for an interesting modernistic look but difficult to figure out at first.
Ultimately, it would be crazy for any company to completely mimic the features of another. Aside from legal concerns, there's no impetus for any potential buyer to switch from device A to device B if they were exactly the same? I have been set on the N3 for months but an almost ready to flip to the M8. I just need to give up on the draw (and multi-window and replaceable battery) capability. But I get better sound quality, better speakers, better build and better screen warranty. Plus, for a while anyway, the M8 is less expensive.

It's tough being OCD.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. However, they are both the premium/flagship device for each of the respective manufacturers.
And there's probably a significant range of buyers who will not understand or care about either the stylus/draw aspects of the N3 or the speakers/sound of the M8.
Albeit gingerbread, I am used to TouchWiz and the N3 Touchwiz has that familiarity...although I like the idea of the stripped-down functionality and appearance of Sense6, I'm going to be in for some re-learning there...and it appears that many of the icons or options are very minimalistic and not as "eye-popping" or intuitive.

I find that on some webpages for hipsters and designers...the home button is a yellow dot, or whatever...the important menu items are little pieces of text or lines...makes for an interesting modernistic look but difficult to figure out at first.
Ultimately, it would be crazy for any company to completely mimic the features of another. Aside from legal concerns, there's no impetus for any potential buyer to switch from device A to device B if they were exactly the same? I have been set on the N3 for months but an almost ready to flip to the M8. I just need to give up on the draw (and multi-window and replaceable battery) capability. But I get better sound quality, better speakers, better build and better screen warranty. Plus, for a while anyway, the M8 is less expensive.

It's tough being OCD.

I agree and the sad thing for me is I will also get the note 4 as I really liked my note 3 but really enjoying the one m8 right now I wish HTC could make a true note competitor with this build quality and a suite of apps that only take advantage of the hardware like the note does

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I agree and the sad thing for me is I will also get the note 4 as I really liked my note 3 but really enjoying the one m8 right now I wish HTC could make a true note competitor with this build quality and a suite of apps that only take advantage of the hardware like the note does

The s pen is the only hardware that has apps to take advantage of it. The multi window is a software feature, no hardware behind it

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have Netflix on my phone and I will be watching a movie or two but mostly you tube videos. Can't wait to get a kickstand case. I love this phone. My friend has the Note 3 and it's just too big for me and this is a little big too for my small hands but I love it and it's great. I love HTC and Sense always have since the OG Evo. But if someone asks me which phone I think they should buy I would always recommend the HTC One and the Galaxy S4 cause I love Android. I am not an IOS person never have been. But Ok I have to get off here and set up my phone. LOL!

BoomSound speakers make it a much more enjoyable and viable option on a phone. I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day and it was a great experience.

Just because you or other people don't, doesn't take away from the technology or innovation.

Also speakers aren't just for movies, music is affected also. My girlfriend has a Bose Soundlink mini (which sound amazing) and 9 times out ten she uses her m8.

blackdogAC

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do like them speakers...
But I'm starting to think maybe Samsung doesn't bother with nice housings because virtually everyone puts a case on them anyway.
Then, you have this beautiful M8 (and the iPhone too) and you're absolutely torn whether to protect the darn thing from damage or leave it naked to enjoy the feel and look they worked so hard at! The iphone really does look nice, but many people have demoed them with no case on. Once you put a case on, there goes all the beauty...just another plastic-clad phone.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I do like them speakers...
But I'm starting to think maybe Samsung doesn't bother with nice housings because virtually everyone puts a case on them anyway.
Then, you have this beautiful M8 (and the iPhone too) and you're absolutely torn whether to protect the darn thing from damage or leave it naked to enjoy the feel and look they worked so hard at! The iphone really does look nice, but many people have demoed them with no case on. Once you put a case on, there goes all the beauty...just another plastic-clad phone.

I think that's the point. With a case on the phone it is just a sheet of glass you are looking at. Comparing phones then, I would say a phone like the Note 3 is the winner. The screen is bigger and better. But that's if you are just looking at aesthetics. Now, without the case, I would say that the iPhone is the best followed by the M8.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3... yeah, it's spectacular!

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I have both and I find myself using the m8 more for two reasons. The first is sense 6 is so much better than touchwiz. It really isn't close.

The second is the LCD over amoled screen. I have only had my note 3 for a couple months and it is already starting to burn in where the notification bar always is, even though I only ever use it at about 30% brightness. This is a deal breaker for me. I can't imagine what it would look like after a year of real use. The note 3 is getting sold as soon as possible.