Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kronosqq
  • 2 Post By Skyway
  • 1 Post By djjeffa
  • 1 Post By Skyway
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default HTC One (M8) camera vs EVO 4G LTE camera?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a htc evo 4g lte and have been looking for an upgrade now.

For me I feel I've narrowed it down to SGS5 or the M8 and really leaning on the M8 because of its design/ UI but the only draw back for me is people saying the camera isnt that good.

The reason why the camera is the biggest concern for me is because I like going to car meets / go on cruises and like taking photos of cars at the meets / moving shots of the cars on free ways and scenic shots (sunsets / other nice views ).
    These photos never go to print but rather stay on FB group pages/ instagram / on my computer

So I dont know if going to the M8 would be a downgrade with regards to picture quality or with my scenario it wont be an affect at all.

All suggestions/comments/opinions are greatly appreciated
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-30-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Default Re: M8 camera vs 4G LTE camera?

Check out this thread for samples. Share your HTC One (M8) photos and videos!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off

Default Re: M8 camera vs 4G LTE camera?

Quote Originally Posted by C6ZR1 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a htc evo 4g lte and have been looking for an upgrade now.

For me I feel I've narrowed it down to SGS5 or the M8 and really leaning on the M8 because of its design/ UI but the only draw back for me is people saying the camera isnt that good.

The reason why the camera is the biggest concern for me is because I like going to car meets / go on cruises and like taking photos of cars at the meets / moving shots of the cars on free ways and scenic shots (sunsets / other nice views ).
    These photos never go to print but rather stay on FB group pages/ instagram / on my computer

So I dont know if going to the M8 would be a downgrade with regards to picture quality or with my scenario it wont be an affect at all.

All suggestions/comments/opinions are greatly appreciated
    The M8 camera is a big upgrade. People saw that it was 4mp and assumed it would be no good, but I used it and it's great. I'm really picky and was still impressed. Rather than chase after unnecessary high levels of MP, they brought it down which allows better light capture and added a 3rd cam for depth. Check out some of the pics as ugx suggested.

Default Re: HTC One (M8) camera vs EVO 4G LTE camera?

I'm also on the Evo right now, just holding out for the silver version on Sprint before I upgrade. I read a really good review of the camera the other day, I'll try to link to it later. But basically 4mp isn't actually as low as it sounds to most of us. It gets detail just fine, the only real thing the camera doesn't shoot well is when there's a really big range on terms of lighting. You have to make sure to expose on the right area to get good results in Super bright light shots that include areas of shadow. That being said if you slightly underexpose in those conditions you can get really nice results by touching up the exposure after the shot.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    B0WIE likes this.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,694 Global Posts

It will be an upgrade. The lens is faster which will give you high shutter speeds during the day for those rolling shots.

At night you will also get much better low lights shots thanks to the ultrapixels.

HDR mode is also a lot better now compared to the One X/EVO LTE. It looks a lot more natural.

Posted via Android Central App

My HTC One M7 was a nice upgrade from my Evo LTE so I can only imagine the M8 would be even better.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

How would it do in high sun light photos?

http://androidforums.com/htc-one-m8/...te-camera.html

I posted on this forum too and my pictures that I take are in there (to get an idea of the lightning conditions)

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Im in the same boat I have the evo lte but my freind has a m7 and I think mine takes better pics so im kind of concerned about the m8. On phone arena the compare the g5, m8 and a few others and the m8 got blown out of the water so.....,,

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.
    get in da mix

I too had a evo 4g lte as my last phone. It was a great phone but the m8 is a huge step up in every meaningful way. If you liked your evo 4g lte you will love the m8. I honestly love the camera it takes very quick pictures with very little blur.

Quote Originally Posted by djjeffa View Post
    Im in the same boat I have the evo lte but my freind has a m7 and I think mine takes better pics so im kind of concerned about the m8. On phone arena the compare the g5, m8 and a few others and the m8 got blown out of the water so.....,,

A camera is only as good as the person using it, it is a tool. I know you think your Evo takes better pics, but the camera on the m7 has the capabilities to take a much better picture. The m8 camera is a big improvement so it is definitely better than the m7.

Wouldn't it be great if we could read everything on the internet and it be fact? Phone arena and most mobile tech sites don't really know how to properly use a camera.

That being said, the m8 has a very capable camera. Head on over to the picture thread and take a look, there's a lot of really good shots in there.

Megapixels aren't the end all be all of photography, skill is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I also switched from the EVOLTE and I'm very happy. The camera in the old phone can take better pictures in some situations but in many others the m8 is better. The focusing is very fast and accurate, and low light shooting is much better. Plus you get all the other benefits of the new phone. The EVOLTE was the best phone I've ever had and so far this one is a worthy successor.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk 4 Pro
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    A camera is only as good as the person using it, it is a tool. I know you think your Evo takes better pics, but the camera on the m7 has the capabilities to take a much better picture. The m8 camera is a big improvement so it is definitely better than the m7.

Wouldn't it be great if we could read everything on the internet and it be fact? Phone arena and most mobile tech sites don't really know how to properly use a camera.

That being said, the m8 has a very capable camera. Head on over to the picture thread and take a look, there's a lot of really good shots in there.

Megapixels aren't the end all be all of photography, skill is.

I do agree megapixels is not the bottom line because I have compared 20mp from freinds phones and they are comparable but at the same time I have took pics with my freinds m7 and was not happy, for a 4mp they were impressive but I did side by side on a big screen and the detail is just not there. When you crop ore zoom on the m7 pics vs the evo thats where I see the diffrent. I guess ill have to go to sprint store for the final test thats how I picked the evo over the g3 put them side by side and took lots of pics.

get in da mix
    adriandb likes this.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Thanks guys, I also have the Evo LTE so this discussion has been helpful to me. I plan to get theM8 on June 1st when I'm eligible but it's good to have some information. I'm also a little concerned about the camera but I understand that the One's UltraPixels are a different type of megapixel evidently, allowing more light to come in as was mentioned previously. I just wish they could do the UltraPixels with a higher MP count, but the camera seems good enough for me so I'm still planning to get the One. I know too many people who have had S3 or S4's and had them break a lot. One of my buddies is now on his 3rd or 4th S4... That is totally unacceptable and it's because the phone is flimsy. The positives of the One are too powerful for me and they outweigh the negatives.
    http://www.htc.com/www/zoe/

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Well I went to the sprint store and for a 4mp camera I am impressed but at the same time it don't seem to have the detail my EVO has the g4 vs EVO were close and the g5 took the best pics out of the 4.
    I know the one has some cool features and take good pics in low light but to be honest I was happy with the EVO in low light. I still don't know what I am going to do. The htc is a solid phone the galaxy's seem more delicate and I refuse to pay for insurance so this is a tuff one for me.

First pic was EVO lte second is one m8
    But I'm thinking this won't help because this website knocks the resolution down and it made the second pic bigger for some reason.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One (M8) camera vs EVO 4G LTE camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1397311519188.jpg   HTC One (M8) camera vs EVO 4G LTE camera?-uploadfromtaptalk1397311535679.jpg  
    get in da mix

ROM
    HTC Sense

The m8 camera is nice and clean. Granted, in not taking professional pictures, but the NUMEROUS pictures I take of my family vine out sharp and clear. No camera regrets here.

I also went from the 4g lte to m8

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

I'm not saying the m8 take bad pictures and I probly wouldn't notice the difference unless I did the side by side but I use the phone as my primary camera and I'm want to get the best picture I can.

get in da mix

Being an owner of both phones, I can say the m8 is capable of taking way better pictures imo.

I don't speak for everyone though

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
    ffejjj likes this.
    o2k

Well I went to the sprint store and for a 4mp camera I am impressed but at the same time it don't seem to have the detail my EVO has the g4 vs EVO were close and the g5 took the best pics out of the 4.
    I know the one has some cool features and take good pics in low light but to be honest I was happy with the EVO in low light. I still don't know what I am going to do. The htc is a solid phone the galaxy's seem more delicate and I refuse to pay for insurance so this is a tuff one for me.

First pic was EVO lte second is one m8
    But I'm thinking this won't help because this website knocks the resolution down and it made the second pic bigger for some reason.

When trying to post full resolution pics, just post them straight from your phone or computer. Don't use Tapatalk.

Also, go with what you like the most and what you feel are more important functions to have. All flagship phones are excellent (and probably more powerful than some PC now). It all depends on individual preferences. M8 camera is good though.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o2k View Post
    ...Also, go with what you like the most and what you feel are more important functions to have. All flagship phones are excellent (and probably more powerful than some PC now). It all depends on individual preferences. M8 camera is good though.
    I couldn't agree more. It really has to be what you like and not what somebody else likes...you have to be comfortable with the phone.

I am NOT married to any brand. I go with what I like. For me, the HTC build quality and metal body is too powerful to deny.

Note to OP.. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see! I've had every single version of the HTC flagship line, including your EVO! The pics are not even in the same league compared to the M8! I started a thread, which you can search by using "simple" as your keyword! Check out my pics there. Htc haters are like ants at a picnic.. they just keep coming!

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

From the pics I took the m8 had better color and wider pic but when zooming in on the picture the m8 lost it sharpness vs the evo lte both lens were clean.

get in da mix