Sprint HTC One (M8) and SVDO

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
is the new HTC One (M8) capable of MIMO? how does that affect Sprint Spark? I've been told that the only has one antenna and is not capable of simultaneous voice and data reception. I then astor question how many antenneas does the HTC M8 have? They may be talking about the transceiver in terms of data path but I'm not sure

Last edited by a moderator:

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: M8 and SVDO

I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer it doesn't do simultaneous voice and data on 3g nor LTE. It is a single transmission path phone so its either connected to LTE or CDMA but neither at the same time.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer it doesn't do simultaneous voice and data on 3g nor LTE. It is a single transmission path phone so its either connected to LTE or CDMA but neither at the same time.

You sure about that? Voice and 3g won't work that requires SVDO chipset which is not included however voice and LTE should work fine. Those are two different signals

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I do know, from the Qualcomm web site, that the 801 SoC is built with 1XRTT & EV-DO radios on the die so it's HTC or Sprint, which is curious. It also has LTE 'on die', Cat. 3.

Last edited:

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site
So far none of the phones that can do spark can do voice and data over LTE or 3G I am on the note 3 right now and can do voice and LTE but not 3G, I think the old Evo LTE was the last sprint phone what can do voice and data on 3G and LTE.
I forget which website showed the FCC filings for CDMA radios on the 800/801 with spark but none of them could do svdo 3g/LTE.
I suppose I'm going to have to hold on to my evo LTE and note 3 for work as I need svdo3g/LTE... BUMMER :-(

N3 with MiniN3

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Your replies are a bit over my head, but it leads me to believe it might be the cause of the situation I'm experiencing. I live in the Chicago area (were spark is up) and just activated my M8 yesterday. My last phone was the EVO 4G LTE and I had 5-6 bars of signal strength in my home. The M8 only shows 1-2 bars while on standby, then switches over to 5-6 when the phone is in use. This happens when I'm at home on Wi-Fi, or anywhere else that I have been in the last 24 hours off of Wi-Fi and still on spark or LTE. When the phone switches to 3G, my signal bars will start to jump around again like they would with the EVO.

Any thoughts?

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

You sure about that? Voice and 3g won't work that requires SVDO chipset which is not included however voice and LTE should work fine. Those are two different signals

Yep I'm positive. If you'd like to read a well written article on it you can read this. Nexus 5 and LG G2 experience temporary Sprint LTE connectivity issues due to Circuit Switched Fallback technology - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

However, the important part is this if you don't feel like reading it.

"Sprint Triband LTE phones dropped SVLTE for eCSFB/CSFB

Up until these new Triband devices, previous Sprint LTE devices supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously.

In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be.

S4GRU was told by a source this past summer that Sprint and the OEM’s came to the conclusion that these new Triband LTE devices could not use SVLTE in the conventional way they used to, and it would require a lot of engineering, testing and cost to even attempt such a design change. It was decided to release Triband LTE devices without SVLTE. It may seem that the only drawback for doing that is Sprint Triband LTE devices would not be able to run simultaneous LTE data while on a phone call or when actively transmitting a text. But there is another. And it’s why many early adopters of these new Triband LTE smartphones no longer are being able to connect to Sprint LTE in many places that they used to.

How it works

In previous Sprint LTE phones, when a device was in Sprint LTE coverage it would park in both the LTE and CDMA Sprint networks at the same time. When a voice call came in, it would just go straight through to the device. And signal to the LTE network would be maintained the whole time while the call was active.

In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE."