Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B0WIE
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): Gun Metal Grey color, is it paint ?

Hi,

I would like to ask a simple question to the happy owner of the HTC m8.
    Is it paint on the gun metal color ? Or is it the natural color of the aluminium ?
    On my m7 I like the fact that there is no visible scratch it help keeping a clean look.
    If it is paint on the new m8 then I can assume that it will scratch easily like the black htc one and the black iphone 5.

Thank you very much for your answer,

Julien
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-30-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Default Re: Gun Metal Grey color, is it paint ?

Everything that I've read describe it as a gun metal paint job with an brushed aluminum finished. I also read that this one was the hardest to manufacture because of the paint job. Im guessing the finish is what is intended to prevent paint chipping. With any paint job on anything the finish is what prevents chipping. I haven't seen anything that said otherwise as of yet.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

I believe it's done through an annodization process. You can see the texture clearly. Colored paint would sit in the fine grooves and ruin the effect. The silver looked painted. It might not be, but I've painted a lot of cars/bikes/rims and when you see that metallic/pearling effect, it's usually paint. I didn't look close enough to say for sure though.
    scorpiodsu likes this.

Isn't the difference anodized vs brushed and finished? The anodization on the gold and the silver get you that rougher texture and matte finish whereas with brushed it's essentially artistically scratched metal with a clear coat finish on top?

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Isn't the difference anodized vs brushed and finished? The anodization on the gold and the silver get you that rougher texture and matte finish whereas with brushed it's essentially artistically scratched metal with a clear coat finish on top?

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    I believe the Gunmetal is both; brushed aluminum that has gone through the anodization process. I'm just basing this on some metal manufacturing some of my colleagues do for their products, I am not actually certain what HTC is doing.

Default Re: HTC One (M8): Gun Metal Grey color, is it paint ?

Hi. I got the gunmetal grey M8. I'm glad I got the case as I believe it could scratch fairly easily. I kept my black M7 in a case and never had any problems. It doesn't look like paint. I believe it's a process. on the metal itself. Nice btw.

Yep the Dot cover is perhaps expensive but it's the 1st time I see such sexy cover, perhaps as cool as the gunmetal color!!
    I will definitely get it as I got very easy dents on the silver One.
    I hope the screen will be way stronger against scratches though, I got 2 M7 and both got hairline scratches on the screen while I never put it with metallic things
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thank you for your answer !
    If it is anodized like the previous iphone 5 black, I hope it will hold better against scratches.

The screen is scratch proof, look at this video :