How to get "Phone" contacts to default to Google contacts?

ArcticFamily

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
How do you get a new contact to default to Google Contacts rather than to the Phone contacts?

I see how, when creating a contact to change it from the default "Phone" to Google.... but now how to make that default "Google"

Further.. if you accidentally create a new contact in "Phone"... how do you move that contact to "Google"?

This was SO easy on my Droid Razr Maxx... a little more cryptic here ???

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
After you save one entry in your Contacts in Gmail, every entry thereafter should default to Gmail. You should consider doing the same thing in your Calendar. I think the current versions of newer phones default to using the Gmail to store entries. Not sure about HTC, or Sense 6. If your entry had been stored on the Phone/Device, you have to either re-enter each contact and save in Gmail, or export your contacts (open Contacts, select Menu, select Import/Export) which creates a file ending in .vcf. this file could be imported into your host (using the browser) Gmail then these will sync to your phone. Download VZ Cloud from the Playstore and let Verizon back up your phone. VZ Cloud replaces Backup Assistant, but backs up more stuff with your first free 5GB of cloud space. Replace or change phone? , download VZ cloud on New device and Restore all your content (you must also remember the Gmail id/password from old phone and use on New phone, to bring back your now 'saved in' calendar entries). Enjoy the M8. Beautiful phone.

Posted via Android Central App

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ps. Edit calendars entries and you can change them to be saved in your Gmail. Wish contacts could do the same!

BrianRay14

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Any solution to this? I tried everything i could possibly think in addition to contacting HTC via online chat. They said the option wasn't available. Judging by the number of different ways to ask, I not sure he understood what i was talking about. Just seems bizarre as this has been an option since the gingerbread days. Maybe there's an xposed module that can enable this

dilnet

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
After you save one entry in your Contacts in Gmail, every entry thereafter should default to Gmail. You should consider doing the same thing in your Calendar. I think the current versions of newer phones default to using the Gmail to store entries. Not sure about HTC, or Sense 6. If your entry had been stored on the Phone/Device, you have to either re-enter each contact and save in Gmail, or export your contacts (open Contacts, select Menu, select Import/Export) which creates a file ending in .vcf. this file could be imported into your host (using the browser) Gmail then these will sync to your phone. Download VZ Cloud from the Playstore and let Verizon back up your phone. VZ Cloud replaces Backup Assistant, but backs up more stuff with your first free 5GB of cloud space. Replace or change phone? , download VZ cloud on New device and Restore all your content (you must also remember the Gmail id/password from old phone and use on New phone, to bring back your now 'saved in' calendar entries). Enjoy the M8. Beautiful phone.

dilnet

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
To answer the second question, in Contacts/Settings, there is an option to 'Merge' contacts with either a Google account or a Samsung account (I use the Note 2). Choose Google account and all phone Contacts are then merged with Google.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Settings, manage contacts, merge contacts. There are also options in there too link contacts and to copy back and forth between the phone and Gmail.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Robert Chmielinski

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the opposite problem - because I use Android-Sync to sync Outlook with my phone, I need my new contacts that are entered into the phone to default to the "phone" account and not Google. Right now, it defaults to Google, and I can't figure out how to either a) move to "phone", b) set default to "phone" or c) add "phone" as a second assignment (my phone often indicates "phone" "Google" and others such as Whatsapp or Viber to the contact association. Would appreciate some help here. Running Android 4.1.2 on a Galaxy Note 1. Thanks.

Dave R in AU

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
My HTC One M8 does *not* allow me to change the Calendar to which an existing Entry belongs. Other than manually deleting and recreating, a slightly long-winded workaround is to Share the Entry via Email to myself, open that email, open the .vcs attachment, save the Entry to a new Calendar and then delete the original Calendar Entry.

Consistent with KeepItReal's post, every time I save a new Calendar Entry, my HTC One M8 remembers the Calendar I chose, and uses that as the default Calendar next time. Therefore to change your default to any other Calendar, you have to create a new (potentially dummy) Entry and select the preferred Calendar before Saving it. (if that was a dummy Entry, you can then delete it!)

Because I use HTC Sync Manager (v3.1.1.3.0) to sync my "phone" account with Outlook (2010) on my PC, I have set my default Calendar (using the above method) to "HTC Sync Manager (PC Sync)".

Robert Chmielinski

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
yes, thanks. It does seem that when I set up a new contact, it does give me the choice to store the data in one of several databases, so I can choose one (the "phone" which I believe is the native contact database). Much appreciated.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
For the Calendar, I just downloaded the Google Calendar app from the play store, and I use that one. Unfortunately there's no Google People app on the play store.

Jay Kay4

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
This was frustrating me also...

you can solve the problem by going into phonebook via the dialler app on your home-screen then swiping over to people and at the top left hand corner under 'phonebook you can choose which contacts are available...

by only choosing your google account now when ever you add contacts the default should be google and not your phone...

if you need to copy contacts from phone to your google account you can do tat by pressing the options tab (3 buttons top right), manage contacts, copy contacts. Solved!!!

Hapelet

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site

You just saved me from having to re-enter all my contacts. I've been searching the web for half an hour, and you're the first one to suggest using import/export to transfer my contacts. Verizon's site never mentions it, nor did any other site. If I knew who you were I would kiss you! Muchas gracias!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000