Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: HTC One (M8): Signal Strength with Sprint

You guys saved me the trouble of having to exchange my phone. I have exactly the same issue with Cardys and have actually worked on Sprint's LTE build out in Chicago. It is definitely not a robust LTE network, yet. I started noticing the issue when my Pandora account would not lock onto any songs and would time out indicating poor signal issues even when the LTE site is across the street. I will try switching to CDMA only and test the Pandora account.

Thanks guys.

This will be good news for some and bad news for others. It's not your phone that's messed up(Good news) it's sprints network(bad news). Their network couldn't handle all of the provisioning commands for the M8 and S5 that went through in the same week. So it killed the Network. BUT mainly just those areas that have Spark availble because Spark wasn't properly tested before it was released. Sprint never fully tests product/services before the put them out just so they can be the one to say we had it first.(just like they did with there version of 4G(wimax) yeah they had it first but when everyone else started their 4G(LTE) the speeds were 3-5 times faster an more consistant than Wimax and of course Sprint had to play catch up.

And now due to the "Spark Network" those of us with a M8 or S5 are S.O.L. until this gets resolved. I've had my M8 for 6 days and couldn't make or receive calls for 3 days and since then I can make a call but any and every call that last longer than 1 minute gets dropped. and internet HA! no facebooking for me unless it's on a wifi signal. The only way to get around this is to get a phone other than an M8 or S5.(although there are several other phones on Spark they work a little better because they were provisioned weeks and even months ago).

Now some M8s and S5s may be working because their provisioning commands made it through before everything went crazy but there are 100 of thousands of phones that did not.And this is only happening on Sprints network, other carries phones are working as designed.

For the recotd I'm not hating on Sprint I have had them for 15 years, I just wanted to let you all know what's going on.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Re: Signal Strength with Sprint

The only thing asinine is complaining about a phone which is working perfectly and whining to Sprint until they waste resources sending you another phone. Your phone is displaying the signal strength of the network which it is connected to. It can only connect to one network at a time, since it's impossible to make a phone which can do both Spark and SVLTE without sacrificing battery life and production cost.

How precisely do you expect a phone to report a 1x signal strength when it IS NOT connected to a 1x signal? To wish for something impossible is really really stupid.

If you have an irrational need to know 1x signal strength, then turn off LTE.

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I've experienced better signal the my EVO LTE. Better more advanced radios then a phone that came out two years ago.

Posted via Android Central App
    My cell phone history for the last decade.

2005/2006: Motorola W315, Motorola razr
    2007: Motorola W385
    2008: HTC shadow
    2009/2010: Motorola i335, Motorola i9, Blackbery 8330,
    2010: HTC EVO 4G
    2011: HTC EVO 3D, HTC rezound
    2012: HTC EVO LTE
    2014: HTC ONE M8.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by vinniemac View Post
    How precisely do you expect a phone to report a 1x signal strength when it IS NOT connected to a 1x signal? To wish for something impossible is really really stupid.
    Very precisely. And the only thing that is really, really stupid, is someone that doesn't realize that they do own a device, that ALREADY IS capable of displaying the signal strength for a network that they are not connected to. Here's an idea. Take a look at your available Wi-Fi networks. Are you connected to all of them? Do you see signal strengths for networks you're not connected too?

I have the same problem and I am from the Chicago area. I have 1-0 bars when I am not actually on the phone with someone and then it bumps up to max bars when on the phone. I am also unable to view any videos as it keep saying "Connection Not Available Please Try Again". However I will probably hold off on replacing the phone since it did not fix the issue.

Now of course...having LTE turned off and CDMA on....the video quality is absolutely awful.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

If you don't understand the difference between wifi and CDMA/LTE, you are too intellectually deficient to have rational conversation about this.
    Topgonzo and Zaff Zed like this.

Okay so I'm going to kind of change things up here. I have my new M8 and it connects to LTE/CDMA no problem. I haven't had a reason to complain. However, I do go to school in an area with virtually no Sprint signal. And I haven't seen the M8 roam once where the M7 would. Instead the phone just shuts off connectivity. Furthermore, there are no roaming settings. HTC One (M8): Signal Strength with Sprint-uploadfromtaptalk1397585267372.jpg

So are the bands there to roam on Verizon or what?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Taco View Post
    Okay so I'm going to kind of change things up here. I have my new M8 and it connects to LTE/CDMA no problem. I haven't had a reason to complain. However, I do go to school in an area with virtually no Sprint signal. And I haven't seen the M8 roam once where the M7 would. Instead the phone just shuts off connectivity. Furthermore, there are no roaming settings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397585267372.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	112723

So are the bands there to roam on Verizon or what?

Something is wrong on your phone. Maybe try and update your profile. You are definitely missing some options...

HTC One (M8): Signal Strength with Sprint-screenshot_2014-04-15-16-38-43.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vinniemac View Post
    Something is wrong on your phone. Maybe try and update your profile. You are definitely missing some options...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-15-16-38-43.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	112750
    I figured. My phone is unable to update profile or PRL (code 1233) so I might need to take this to Sprint to get it looked at. Or maybe the recent update screwed something up.

Here's a question, in low reception areas (read: inside a large building) is it common to see 3G dropping out every minute or so? 1x remains constant, but while the 3G signal is apparently about as strong (signal check pro), it goes to no connection for a moment every few minutes.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app

Here is the breakdown of Sprints different technologies and how they are used !

Frequency band Band number Generation Radio Interface Status Notes
    800 MHz ESMR CDMA Band Class 10 3G CDMA 1x Advanced Active/Building out For voice and low-speed data (<150kbps) [5]
    800 MHz ESMR LTE Band 26 4G LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out
    1900 MHz PCS CDMA Band Class 1 3G CDMA 1xRTT (1xAdvanced in some markets) Active
    1900 MHz PCS CDMA Band Class 1 3G CDMA EVDO Rev. A Active
    1900 MHz PCS LTE Band 25 4G LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out "Primary" LTE band[43]
    2.5 GHz BRS/EBS N/A 4G WiMAX Active/Decommissioning by the end of 2015 No longer selling WiMAX devices. 2015-2016 - Tentative date[6]
    2.5 GHz BRS/EBS LTE Band 41 4G TDD-LTE Sprint Spark Active/Building out Phase 1 and Phase 2 Deployment Underway [44]

They use 800 mhz CDMA class 1x advanced for voice and text messages which is a form of 3g technology but nothing like 3g HSPA. There are several different types of 3g technology Sprint uses 3 different types on there own CDMA 1x, CDMA 1xrtt, and CDMA EVDO Rev.A Eventually it will be phased out and replaced with LTE and Verizon will be the first one to do so. A carrier can only do it though when they have completely covered there low frequency 3g foot print 700mhz or 800mhz for building penetration and long distance signals with a low frequency LTE technology in the 700 mhz or 800mhz bands to ensure tthe best call quality and signal availabilty inside buildings and other hard to reach places. Then they try to use LTE for Data like video and web surfing but if not available you are kicked down a slower 3g technology or on some carriers even 2g. Sprint desperately needs to get broad coverage with there 800 mhz LTE in order to keep up with and compete with At&T and Verizon and there 700 mhz LTE frequencies. They do of course have all of the old Nextel Network but they also need more towers that are 800 mhz capable in addition to the existing iden ones to make the switch to LTE voice down the road. When that happens we will get simultaneous voice and data again.

Does anyone have a good Sprint Spark experience here ?.
    Last edited by Androidaholic; 04-20-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Here's a question, in low reception areas (read: inside a large building) is it common to see 3G dropping out every minute or so? 1x remains constant, but while the 3G signal is apparently about as strong (signal check pro), it goes to no connection for a moment every few minutes.

Sent from my 831C using AC Forums mobile app
    Because 1x is 800mhz 3g and the other 3g is 1900 mhz and worse for building penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Androidaholic View Post
    Because 1x is 800mhz 3g and the other 3g is 1900 mhz and worse for building penetration.
    Well what seems to be happening according to SignalCheck is that I'm connected with -96 dBm to 1xRTT and EV-DO with -98-103 dBm, the EV-DO gets dropped for about half a second every few minutes, there's no drop in signal strength leading up to it, it's pretty sudden. So if they're both 1900 mhz what would be going on here?

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guyo_Loco View Post
    This will be good news for some and bad news for others. It's not your phone that's messed up(Good news) it's sprints network(bad news). Their network couldn't handle all of the provisioning commands for the M8 and S5 that went through in the same week. So it killed the Network. BUT mainly just those areas that have Spark availble because Spark wasn't properly tested before it was released. Sprint never fully tests product/services before the put them out just so they can be the one to say we had it first.(just like they did with there version of 4G(wimax) yeah they had it first but when everyone else started their 4G(LTE) the speeds were 3-5 times faster an more consistant than Wimax and of course Sprint had to play catch up.

And now due to the "Spark Network" those of us with a M8 or S5 are S.O.L. until this gets resolved. I've had my M8 for 6 days and couldn't make or receive calls for 3 days and since then I can make a call but any and every call that last longer than 1 minute gets dropped. and internet HA! no facebooking for me unless it's on a wifi signal. The only way to get around this is to get a phone other than an M8 or S5.(although there are several other phones on Spark they work a little better because they were provisioned weeks and even months ago).

Now some M8s and S5s may be working because their provisioning commands made it through before everything went crazy but there are 100 of thousands of phones that did not.And this is only happening on Sprints network, other carries phones are working as designed.

For the recotd I'm not hating on Sprint I have had them for 15 years, I just wanted to let you all know what's going on.
    This is exactly what's happening, I just returned my M8, I could not get any data w/o wifi, some sporadic 3g but it was terrible. Not sure if my phone was some how worse or not. I might try the HK version next week. Anyone having success w/spark in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by snobrdr2324 View Post
    Your EVO 4G LTE was displaying signal strength for 3g since it connects to LTE And 3G simultaneously. The M8 can only connect to LTE OR 3G so if you're on LTE it is now accurately displaying your LTE signal strength as opposed to your 3G signal strength. The EVO 4G LTE has some of the worst LTE reception of any sprint phone and the M8 is much better at picking up a signal, so unless you have a faulty M8 there is no way your EVO will have a stronger signal. You can download an app called Signal Check and it will most likely confirm this.

I didn't read this before but this confirms what I said above. When on a call it's showing your 3G signal strength just like your EVO was showing and then switches back to LTE after you end the call.
    Thank you for this information, I'm on 3UK and have been pulling my hair out for weeks now as my M8 is hardly ever showing signal bars at home. I just switched phone to 3G only and got full bars! so problem solved!!! Thank you once again!

I'm getting weak bars on mine. I'm in Toronto on Telus and I was getting full bars on my old iPhone 4, now I'm getting 1-3. But I'm also usually getting full bars when I'm in a call, like someone else mentioned.

Its really weird. I think it may be an issue in the new update because I initially thought it was only me so I was gonna exchange for a new phone.

Maybe an update will fix

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

Yesterday, I switched from the Samsung s3 to the HTC one m8 Harman Kardon edition. In one hour, where I had LTE coverage I now barely have 3g coverage. Barely. When I had 3g only. Now I have no signal at all. Before, I could connect to the internet up to about 70 percent of the time. Now it's about 5 percent. Same day. Two different phones. This is not about signal strength. This is about just connecting. Something is wrong. Also, same day. I drove 7 nerds from the Q chip maker in S.D. to LAX for an asian run. Their phones were ok. Three were sprint with spark. But not the Htc. Perhaps the one m8 with the new antenna is part of the problem?
    Sprint in San Diego is a big problem. But it was ok before with the s3. Now it's unacceptable.
    Help, the duck

I'm a Verizon customer with an HTC One M8. Picked it up on a BOGO. Gave my wife my Droid3 and my daughter and I have the M8's. I've been complaining to HTC and Verizon that my D3 didn't drop calls in my home/directly-outside-my-home nor lose voice signal but both our M8's do.

I've tracked the D3 signal against the M8's on an apple to apple basis and the M8's signal reception is 'just slightly' worse than the D3 which was only capable of 3G. My area is signal strength challenged to start off with but the D3 handled it. Occasionally I did get complaints about the D3 voice quality but had no complete signal loss.

Here's my guess after multiple support calls and emails....
    The slightly worse reception on the M8 along with another very slight anomaly of signal degradation when the M8 is held by cupping the bottom of the phone is just enough to cause my issues. I can work around how I hold the phone so the limiting factor is the ever so slightly weaker M8 reception. I've also wondered if it was the move from a strictly 3G phone.

To be clear...I think if you have a little less than average signal availability in your area you won't notice a difference or experience any issues but if you have a fairly weak signal area to begin with the tiny difference could be just enough to cause some problems.

I still think the M8 is a fantastic phone but I have to admit disappointment that a 3 year old phone does better on voice.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shandroid View Post
    This is exactly what's happening, I just returned my M8, I could not get any data w/o wifi, some sporadic 3g but it was terrible. Not sure if my phone was some how worse or not. I might try the HK version next week. Anyone having success w/spark in Chicago?
    Update: I did end up getting the HK version and my connection is 100x better, still weak indoors but normal sprint stuff, I got 50mpbs in one area, the phone I got from Amazon was defective.

Hi,

I have the same issue. No data roaming options coming up in HTC one M8.
    I am in India. My phone is rooted.

Can someone help me with this?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12