HTC One (M8): Signal Strength with Sprint

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else noticing fewer signal strength bars? I'm in the Chicago area, and was getting 5-6 bars with my EVO 4GLTE in my home, and now only 1-2 with the M8. I only activated the phone today and am able to make and receiving phone calls, but am a little concerned. I don't really want to go back to using the Airave, but I suppose that is an option I would consider before changing networks as long as signal strength was okay everywhere else. Anybody else experiencing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength with Sprint

No problems from my end. I use Virgin Mobile, one of Sprint's prepaid services. We prepaid folks have access to fewer towers than the contract users, but my reception in the New York City area is good. I usually get 4-6 bars, unless I'm in a hilly area, or a deep basement. No 4G for me though, my phone's a rooted and debloated Kyocera Event.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

I just noticed that my signal bars jump to 5-6 when I'm in a call, then right back to 1 when the call ends. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it might be related to the Spark network. which is up here in Chicago and my Spark indicator spins frequently.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Anybody else noticing fewer signal strength bars? I'm in the Chicago area, and was getting 5-6 bars with my EVO 4GLTE in my home, and now only 1-2 with the M8. I only activated the phone today and am able to make and receiving phone calls, but am a little concerned. I don't really want to go back to using the Airave, but I suppose that is an option I would consider before changing networks as long as signal strength was okay everywhere else. Anybody else experiencing this?

Your EVO 4G LTE was displaying signal strength for 3g since it connects to LTE And 3G simultaneously. The M8 can only connect to LTE OR 3G so if you're on LTE it is now accurately displaying your LTE signal strength as opposed to your 3G signal strength. The EVO 4G LTE has some of the worst LTE reception of any sprint phone and the M8 is much better at picking up a signal, so unless you have a faulty M8 there is no way your EVO will have a stronger signal. You can download an app called Signal Check and it will most likely confirm this.

I just noticed that my signal bars jump to 5-6 when I'm in a call, then right back to 1 when the call ends. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it might be related to the Spark network. which is up here in Chicago and my Spark indicator spins frequently.

I didn't read this before but this confirms what I said above. When on a call it's showing your 3G signal strength just like your EVO was showing and then switches back to LTE after you end the call.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Your EVO 4G LTE was displaying signal strength for 3g since it connects to LTE And 3G simultaneously. The M8 can only connect to LTE OR 3G so if you're on LTE it is now accurately displaying your LTE signal strength as opposed to your 3G signal strength. The EVO 4G LTE has some of the worst LTE reception of any sprint phone and the M8 is much better at picking up a signal, so unless you have a faulty M8 there is no way your EVO will have a stronger signal. You can download an app called Signal Check and it will most likely confirm this.

I didn't read this before but this confirms what I said above. When on a call it's showing your 3G signal strength just like your EVO was showing and then switches back to LTE after you end the call.
I don't think that's what's happening because when I'm at home, I'm connected to my Wi-Fi, so shouldn't LTE/3G be switched off?

I downloaded Signal Check Lite. When the phone is on standby, 1xRTT and eHRPD are reading "No Connection", LTE is showing about 50% and Wi-Fi looks like it's about 95%. When I'm in a call 1xRTT shows about 70%, and EV-DO and LTE read "No Connection"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Was the Evo 4g LTE on an old version of Android? The newer version measures signal strength by data signal strength whereas before it didn't do that.

Are your speed tests about the same?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't think that's what's happening because when I'm at home, I'm connected to my Wi-Fi, so shouldn't LTE/3G be switched off?

I downloaded Signal Check Lite. When the phone is on standby, 1xRTT and eHRPD are reading "No Connection", LTE is showing about 50% and Wi-Fi looks like it's about 95%. When I'm in a call 1xRTT shows about 70%, and EV-DO and LTE read "No Connection"

Even when on WIFI your phone is still connected to the LTE network it just isn't transmitting or receiving data. The best way to compare if you are really interested is to install signal check on your EVO. When on LTE signal check will give you a signal strength for 1x and LTE and your signal bars are displaying the 1x signal strength not the LTE signal strength. On the new sprint phones you are only connected to LTE OR 1x/EVDO, never both at the same time so your bars are displaying the true LTE signal you always were getting.

Check this link out for an explanation of what your EVO was showing. And then note the bold text at the very bottom explaining Triband devices aren't affected by this which the new HTC One M8 is a Triband device.
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Even when on WIFI your phone is still connected to the LTE network it just isn't transmitting or receiving data. The best way to compare if you are really interested is to install signal check on your EVO. When on LTE signal check will give you a signal strength for 1x and LTE and your signal bars are displaying the 1x signal strength not the LTE signal strength. On the new sprint phones you are only connected to LTE OR 1x/EVDO, never both at the same time so your bars are displaying the true LTE signal you always were getting.

Check this link out for an explanation of what your EVO was showing. And then note the bold text at the very bottom explaining Triband devices aren't affected by this which the new HTC One M8 is a Triband device.
Bars Lie for LTE Signal Strength! How to determine your actual LTE signal strength - Network, Network Vision/LTE Deployment - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

That's fine, but shouldn't my signal bars show phone reception, like always? I mean first and foremost, this is a telephone to me. All the other connectivity is awesome, but when I look at the signal strength I want to know if my phone has reception. That's the way it always used to be. Do I have a lemon?

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

That's fine, but shouldn't my signal bars show phone reception, like always? I mean first and foremost, this is a telephone to me. All the other connectivity is awesome, but when I look at the signal strength I want to know if my phone has reception. That's the way it always used to be. Do I have a lemon?

Unfortunately it is an engineering issue with their new phones. I have another article if you want it on why the new sprint phones can only connect to LTE or voice at different times. Unfortunately it's the way it's going to be until voice over LTE rolls out probably because of technical limitations with sprints network. With the new sprint phones when on LTE the phone will get a signal from the LTE network that a call is coming in and the phone needs to drop back down to 3G to accept the call so if your LTE signal is so weak it can't receive this signal then the phone won't ring so in some ways your LTE signal is representative of your voice signal as well.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

snobrdr2324, I don't think you are understanding my concern, but I do appreciate you sharing your insight and thank you for trying to help me.

I'm not talking about being able to simultaneously connect to different signals, or whether that is possible. I want to know that I'm in a place that has voice reception without having to place a call. My phone's signal bars will only rise from 1 bar, when either of these conditions occur:

1) When I am in a call.
2) When I get into an area where the 3G signal is better than LTE or Spark.​

When the call ends or I return back to WiFi, LTE or Spark...signal bars drop back down to 1 bar. They should display voice signal strength, like every other phone I have ever had.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

When the call ends or I return back to WiFi, LTE or Spark...signal bars drop back down to 1 bar. They should display voice signal strength, like every other phone I have ever had.

That is exactly my point, the new Spark enabled phones aren't like every other phone you've had unless you have also owned an LG G2, HTC One Max or a Nexus 5 since these are the only other Spark enabled phones in existence. This is because the new Spark phones will only display Voice signal strength if you are connected to the 3g (voice) network. It will display your LTE data signal strength if you are connected to LTE. Spark phones don't display voice signal strength anymore when connected to LTE, only when you are on 3g or making a phone call, that is why you see the signal rise when you make a phone call. When you make a call you are dropping the LTE connection and reconnecting to the 3g voice network and as soon as the call ends you are dropping the 3g voice network and returning to LTE. The EVO NEVER displayed your LTE signal strength, but the M8 DOES display the LTE signal strength and that is what you are seeing. Your LTE signal strength was always 1 bar in your house you just never knew it because your phone didn't tell you your LTE signal strength until now.

Here are the important parts of the article I linked above for reference.
This is how your old EVO operated:

"This signal displayed here is your 1x (voice signal), and it is not your 3G EVDO signal strength, nor your LTE signal strength. Regardless of whether it says 3G or 4G next to it. This is the cause of a lot of confusion."

This is how your new Triband(Spark) M8 operates:

"Triband LTE devices are not affected. They do show LTE signal accurately. Also, many Android 4.3 and later devices also show LTE signal strength accurately. This thread will become obsolete soon as all Sprint devices in 2014 will be Triband and will display LTE signal strength correctly."

Last edited:

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

That is exactly my point, the new Spark enabled phones aren't like every other phone you've had unless you have also owned an LG G2, HTC One Max or a Nexus 5 since these are the only other Spark enabled phones in existence. This is because the new Spark phones will only display Voice signal strength if you are connected to the 3g (voice) network. It will display your LTE data signal strength if you are connected to LTE. Spark phones don't display voice signal strength anymore when connected to LTE, only when you are on 3g or making a phone call, that is why you see the signal rise when you make a phone call. When you make a call you are dropping the LTE connection and reconnecting to the 3g voice network and as soon as the call ends you are dropping the 3g voice network and returning to LTE. The EVO NEVER displayed your LTE signal strength, but the M8 DOES display the LTE signal strength and that is what you are seeing. Your LTE signal strength was always 1 bar in your house you just never knew it because your phone didn't tell you your LTE signal strength until now.

Here are the important parts of the article I linked above for reference.

"This signal displayed here is your 1x (voice signal), and it is not your 3G EVDO signal strength, nor your LTE signal strength. Regardless of whether it says 3G or 4G next to it. This is the cause of a lot of confusion."

This is how your new Triband(Spark) M8 operates:

"Triband LTE devices are not affected. They do show LTE signal accurately. Also, many Android 4.3 and later devices also show LTE signal strength accurately. This thread will become obsolete soon as all Sprint devices in 2014 will be Triband and will display LTE signal strength correctly."

I just spoke with Sprint and they think there is a problem with my phone. They're sending me a replacement. I'll follow-up here in a couple of days and let you know the results of the replacement.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I just spoke with Sprint and they think there is a problem with my phone. They're sending me a replacement. I'll follow-up here in a couple of days and let you know the results of the replacement.

Ok I'd be interested. I know for a fact the M8 should have much better signal strength than the EVO in the same location since the EVO had a hardware design issue that caused it to have very poor reception.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Actually since the 4.3 update the Evo 4G LTE does only show data bars, until on a call and then switches to voice strength. It was a concern for my while testing the build for HTC. I'm assuming the M8 works the same way. I doubt there is an issue with your phone.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Caryds
Nothing wrong with your phone. Just like that said above your signal bar is reporting LTE/Spark signal only unless you're on a call. When you back or received a call the network tells the phone to switch over to the 3g singal (CMDA) to make the call.... (as I've come to find out this is why you can't make a call and use LTE at the same time)
If you want to test go into the menu mobile network settings and charge the network mode to CDMA only and LTE only and see how your bars react.

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Caryds
Nothing wrong with your phone. Just like that said above your signal bar is reporting LTE/Spark signal only unless you're on a call. When you back or received a call the network tells the phone to switch over to the 3g singal (CMDA) to make the call.... (as I've come to find out this is why you can't make a call and use LTE at the same time)
If you want to test go into the menu mobile network settings and charge the network mode to CDMA only and LTE only and see how your bars react.

Doc31, when I'm in my home and switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA Only, my signal bars go from 1 bar up to 5 bars. Is that what happens with your M8?

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Doc31, when I'm in my home and switch from LTE/CDMA to CDMA Only, my signal bars go from 1 bar up to 5 bars. Is that what happens with your M8?

My M8 hasn't arrived yet :( but it makes sense you if you're seeing different signal on LTE and CDMA. If you're not seeing a dipped on call quality I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
The bars you get when on CDMA only is what you phone uses for calls.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Chicago too so i'm curious what data speeds are you getting on spark...

caryds

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

My M8 hasn't arrived yet :( but it makes sense you if you're seeing different signal on LTE and CDMA. If you're not seeing a dipped on call quality I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
The bars you get when on CDMA only is what you phone uses for calls.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Chicago too so i'm curious what data speeds are you getting on spark...
I haven't missed a call nor has anything gone directly to voicemail, so I'm not overly concerned. But I'm self-employed and rely on the phone for bread and water. My work takes me into the field and occasionally, that means a genuine poor or no signal. I accept that because I have no choice. Well, no reasonably choice. It's always a bit unnerving to look down and see the weak signal strength.

If that's the way the phone is supposed to work, then so be it. But if it is, I'm really surprised that it's not a known behaviour to Sprint and all the forums. Wouldn't ya think?

I haven't tested the Spark speed yet. Been at my home mostly, where I'm on WiFi and have always had a weaker LTE signal here.

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Just got miine today, I can say it picks up Lte better than my Evo4GLte, however, it also shows Spark reception and I know its not live here in rural upstate NY.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888