HTC One (M8): automatically factory resets after 10 unsuccessful unlocks (VIDEO)

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
re: HTC One M8 automatically factory resets after 10 unsuccessful unlocks (VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHwQf4-bJzA&feature=share&list=UU60o55QG_Yabb1nelfSGO0w

http://phandroid.com/2014/03/31/htc-one-m8-security-video/

I would be pissed!
Its true you shouldn't forget your password, but factory resetting????
I see the benefit of it though, but if that was an option in settings, I would probably have it off

This is an HTC thing. They added it to the DNA with the 4.2.2 update, and to the M7 with the 4.3 update, I think.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
re: HTC One M8 automatically factory resets after 10 unsuccessful unlocks (VIDEO)

Im all for it factory resetting if they enter my code in wrong 10 times.
This is also the reason why carriers have a black list. If its stolen then it gets wiped by them when they try to sell it and hopefully the consumer is smart enough to test it before they buy and if its blacklisted it will not work as it should with cellular connection.

Of course it also means it cant be tracked with google if you had that feature enabled. But lets face it, most phone thieves know to wipe a phone as soon as they can because of tracking capabilities.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

I wish I could turn this feature off.

Posted via Android Central App

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Sigh... Here we go again 2013. This is nothing new and is implemented by various manufacturers. I guess it would make more sense to not do a factory reset if a thief gained possession, and allow brute force techniques to be used for gaining access... /S

Let's see:

A - Thief gets phone, uses brute force to gain entry, gets access to all data (including Google authenticator app.. So kiss your accounts bye bye), and then sells it.

B - Thief gets phone, fails to gain entry due to factory reset, cannot access data, and then sells it.

B sounds quite delicious

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

A - Thief gets phone, uses brute force to gain entry, gets access to all data (including Google authenticator app.. So kiss your accounts bye bye), and then sells it.
Except we can remote wipe with Device Manager if we want.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This has been available on other phones (like iPhones) for along time but usually is an option Incase you didn't want that.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
They do the same thing on all the new Moto phones. Everyone is just getting ahead of the game before the government makes remote lockdown by the carriers mandatory. With the amount of phone theft I'm honestly surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened sooner.

Armadillo, the other white meat.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm perfectly ok with it. If you're worried about forgetting your password then don't use one. That presents other issues though, of course.

I'm not sure why this is being perceived as a problem or issue at all.

morami

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly ok with it. If you're worried about forgetting your password then don't use one. That presents other issues though, of course.

Because the decision to have it on or off should be ultimately yours (user, owner).
My opinion anyway.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because the decision to have it on or off should be ultimately yours (user, owner).
My opinion anyway.

So many other decisions are already taken away from the user/owner, though. Making this security feature mandatory is ok with me.

Besides, if you forget your password and it factory resets the worse thing that happens is you have to log back in to Google and re-download your apps. You'll also get to pick a new password that you hopefully won't forget. A (somewhat minor IMO) inconvenience of maybe (in my case, never) having to go through this is worth it for me.

morami

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So many other decisions are already taken away from the user/owner, though. Making this security feature mandatory is ok with me.

Besides, if you forget your password and it factory resets the worse thing that happens is you have to log back in to Google and re-download your apps. You'll also get to pick a new password that you hopefully won't forget. A (somewhat minor IMO) inconvenience of maybe (in my case, never) having to go through this is worth it for me.

The fact that it factory resets does not help the you to recover the phone in case you lose it or it get's stolen.All it does is erases everything and whomever finds or steals your phone can sell it very easy.If after factory reset the phone would not be accessible or it would force you to call your carrier to reactivate your phone by authenticating the real owner, I would like this feature more.Still I would like the option to use it or not.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The fact that it factory resets does not help the you to recover the phone in case you lose it or it get's stolen.All it does is erases everything and whomever finds or steals your phone can sell it very easy.If after factory reset the phone would not be accessible or it would force you to call your carrier to reactivate your phone by authenticating the real owner, I would like this feature more.Still I would like the option to use it or not.

It's designed to protect your data, not prevent it from getting stolen or sold once it's stolen.

Once a phone is stolen you should assume you're not getting it back, regardless of whether or not the thief can actually use it.

Assuming the above, it's more likely your data is more valuable than the device. Your address, contacts information, maybe your calendar, etc. would make it easy for them to plan other things to do (break in to your home or something like that).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I personally think you should have the option to disable it. Most likely, someone stealing the phone isn't going to try a bunch of random passwords, they would just go to recovery and wipe anyway.

The reason for me is that sometimes my daughter will pick pocket my phone and play with it, and attempt to unlock it. Personally I don't want my phone to be wiped just because my daughter was fooling around with my phone.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
For such a destructive behavior there should be a user setting and it should be opt in. My kids could easily trigger this.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For such a destructive behavior there should be a user setting and it should be opt in. My kids could easily trigger this.

Yup! I don't have kids of my own but my niece would definitely trigger this as well! Heck, If I went to a family function I'd be in trouble with all the curious kids running around, lol! Should be an option really!

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Should definitely be an option. On one hand it works if someone steals your phone, they won't be able to steal any of your information. But.. It would suck when trying to track your phone or they could just easily get rid of it.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Kevin, my concern with this is if you inadvertently set your phone down, some malicious person grabs it, they can wipe your phone very quickly.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One