Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By freddyttt
  • 1 Post By law2010
  • 1 Post By ErnstMach
  • 2 Post By icenija
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    pvcleave's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

    Default Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    I am a Windows Phone user and have been with them from the beginning. I like Windows Phone, but there are apps I just cannot get. They may not be the biggest apps, but they are what I want. I could care less about Instagram, I want the Mercedes App. There are some other apps that are not available on Windows Phone.

    So I always thought I would get a Samsung Galaxy if I made the switch, but a coworker, that is a big Android fan showed me some info on the phone, not the actual phone. There are a few concerns I have. The first being the camera. I keep reading that it is very bad. I am not a huger photographer, but it is the only camera I use, and Nokia's are very good.

    The other issues are around OneDrive and Xbox music. I have a paid Onedrive account that I use for backing up docks and photos and like to be able to get to them via the phone. How well does Microsoft's OneDrive app integrate with the phone? Can I send and get documents from OneDrive, can I have photos automatically upload?

    Finally there is Xbox music. I have an Xbox music pass that is payed up for the next year and a half. I want to be able to download Xbox music to the player and play it. What sort of issues are there. I have heard some people saying it was broken with KitKat. Do any of you know if it is fixed.

    I hate when people post to these forums from other operating systems and say sell me on your phone. I am not asking for that. I simply want to know what real users opinions are on the issues, or other issues that may be important to me.


    I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-01-2014 at 10:16 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Xbox music has an app for Android ( and ios as well) and never felt the need for it since i pay $7.99 for Google music all access and still cheaper then paying for a year of xbox music. One Drive I use quite a lot and integrates well for what i use it for at least which is just a camera upload backup (100gb for a year for free why not lol vs 50gb for 2 yrs from dropbox for free from note 3)


    TBH I played around with a friends HTC one M7 and i would assume this goes for the M8 while improved is the same sensor pretty much... I just didn't like the 4 MP or "ultrapixel" gimmick and the Depth sensor is a "gimmick" as well and based on reviews i would stand by that opinion. If your dead set on not getting the Galaxy s5, or note 3... There is plenty of other Android devices i would suggest like the nexus 5, Sony Xperia Z1s ( or the Z2 if/When it comes to the states or just import it) , or even the moto x are better phones then the HTC one M8 imo
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Id opt to try the M8.... TRUST ME. unless your printing 10x10 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference on facebook. not to mention Zoe's and Highlites built in. and the Moto X is on par if that. the front speakers(if you care about that) absolutely rock and the phone is lightning fast. nex 5 vs htc one-. HTC One M8 versus Nexus 5 | Android Central ....

    please,,, nex. 6 maybe.!
    imho

    good luck-
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by freddyttt View Post
    Id opt to try the M8.... TRUST ME. unless your printing 10x10 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference on facebook. not to mention Zoe's and Highlites built in. and the Moto X is on par if that. the front speakers(if you care about that) absolutely rock and the phone is lightning fast. nex 5 vs htc one-. HTC One M8 versus Nexus 5 | Android Central ....

    please,,, nex. 6 maybe.!
    imho

    good luck-
    Speaker usage is what 5% of the time and only when your home during normal hours? The Camera is really really bad... You can call it whatever you what but it sucks. I take a ton of pictures and while some go on Facebook why get an inferior camera? Seriously HTC needs to put their money and R&D else where because TBH HTC one did what for HTC bottom line? HTC should of made it an 8 MP camera with the "ultrapixels" and would of made it a lot better. I would only suggest a Nexus 5, GS 5, Note 3, Xperia Z1s or Z2, Moto x, or LG g2
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Speaker usage is what 5% of the time and only when your home during normal hours? The Camera is really really bad... You can call it whatever you what but it sucks. I take a ton of pictures and while some go on Facebook why get an inferior camera? Seriously HTC needs to put their money and R&D else where because TBH HTC one did what for HTC bottom line? HTC should of made it an 8 MP camera with the "ultrapixels" and would of made it a lot better. I would only suggest a Nexus 5, GS 5, Note 3, Xperia Z1s or Z2, Moto x, or LG g2
    My response was to the OP..... And I use my speaker probably 3 to 4 HOURS a day. Music. Nav. Speaker phone while driving. What's important to you might not be to others. As far as the camera. It suits my needs just fine and zoe and highlites are a big plus for me....

    Posted via Android Central App
    Rose4uKY and roflwaffleton like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    pvcleave's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    If your dead set on not getting the Galaxy s5, or note 3...
    I did not mean to imply I was against getting a Galaxy S5, that was the phone I thought I would get until I started reading about the HTC One M8. It sounds to me like the camera just plain sucks, from reading the forums here. I just wish AT&T would sell the S5 with 32GB of memory.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    I did not mean to imply I was against getting a Galaxy S5, that was the phone I thought I would get until I started reading about the HTC One M8. It sounds to me like the camera just plain sucks, from reading the forums here. I just wish AT&T would sell the S5 with 32GB of memory.

    they will have the 32gb probably later like late April or may? The note 3 has 32GB base model and only $100 more so you could look into that
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    I did not mean to imply I was against getting a Galaxy S5, that was the phone I thought I would get until I started reading about the HTC One M8. It sounds to me like the camera just plain sucks, from reading the forums here. I just wish AT&T would sell the S5 with 32GB of memory.

    look at some Pictures....

    Share your HTC One (M8) photos and videos!
  9. #9  
    law2010's Avatar

    Posts
    220 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Speaker usage is what 5% of the time and only when your home during normal hours? The Camera is really really bad... You can call it whatever you what but it sucks. I take a ton of pictures and while some go on Facebook why get an inferior camera? Seriously HTC needs to put their money and R&D else where because TBH HTC one did what for HTC bottom line? HTC should of made it an 8 MP camera with the "ultrapixels" and would of made it a lot better. I would only suggest a Nexus 5, GS 5, Note 3, Xperia Z1s or Z2, Moto x, or LG g2
    Well, seeing as I actually have an HTC One M8, I can tell you confidently that the camera does not suck. The M8 camera focuses and shoots far faster than the Galaxy S4, which my wife has. The Galaxy S4 camera performs freakishly poor in low light and takes forever to even snap the photo because it has a hard time focusing in moderately low light situations.

    I have had the opportunity over the course of the past 4 months to take hundreds of photos on my wife's Galaxy S4. If you can let it focus for about 15 seconds and hold the phone extremely still in natural light, such as an outdoor setting, it may shoot a photo about 2 seconds slower than the M8. My wife wants to ditch her S4 now because I am consistently getting the photos taken faster and with less blur than her S4-- toddlers do not sit still.

    I have noticed, however, if there is strong back lighting behind the person or animal I am taking a picture of, then the M8 does over expose the background. Nonetheless, this is a small qualm for a camera that takes pictures fast and overall produces fantastic results.

    The M8 integrates well with Microsoft One Drive. I do not think you will be disappointed in the least moving from a Windows phone.

    The M8 oozes a premium feel when you pick it up. Make sure you actually get one out of a box and hold one. When they are tethered down at your phone carrier's store, it does not do justice to the phone.

    It sounds like the OP may have a Mercedes and a premium solid aluminum phone will compliment the high end car perfectly.

    Buy the M8. You will not be disappointed.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Skyway likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Well, seeing as I actually have an HTC One M8, I can tell you confidently that the camera does not suck. The M8 camera focuses and shoots far faster than the Galaxy S4, which my wife has. The Galaxy S4 camera performs freakishly poor in low light and takes forever to even snap the photo because it has a hard time focusing in moderately low light situations.

    I have had the opportunity over the course of the past 4 months to take hundreds of photos on my wife's Galaxy S4. If you can let it focus for about 15 seconds and hold the phone extremely still in natural light, such as an outdoor setting, it may shoot a photo about 2 seconds slower than the M8. My wife wants to ditch her S4 now because I am consistently getting the photos taken faster and with less blur than her S4-- toddlers do not sit still.

    I have noticed, however, if there is strong back lighting behind the person or animal I am taking a picture of, then the M8 does over expose the background. Nonetheless, this is a small qualm for a camera that takes pictures fast and overall produces fantastic results.

    The M8 integrates well with Microsoft One Drive. I do not think you will be disappointed in the least moving from a Windows phone.

    The M8 oozes a premium feel when you pick it up. Make sure you actually get one out of a box and hold one. When they are tethered down at your phone carrier's store, it does not do justice to the phone.

    It sounds like the OP may have a Mercedes and a premium solid aluminum phone will compliment the high end car perfectly.

    Buy the M8. You will not be disappointed.

    Posted via Android Central App
    The so-called "premium" build leaves a lot and I mean a lot to be desired and for the life of me will never buy a curved back phone. I still require a removable battery as well. As far as camera goes 4 megapixels is 4 megapixels and is crap..... Reviews also back up my statement.



    I held a m7 and I can say Meh( Meh *10) to the build.



    Also I have used the s4 and now note 3 and does not take 15 seconds to focus. The LG g2 > htc m8 back buttons and all

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    OP. I'd take most of what is said here in this thread with a grain of salt. There are going to be honest, objective view on the pros and cons of buying the M8. However, there will also be the classic fanboy arguments about whether x feature is actually useful or not. My personal opinion is that its a great phone, and previous commenters have said that they use your services to some success on their android devices (I don't use the apps you mentioned, so I can't help you there &#128515. However, my recommendation to you would be to try it out in store and get a feel for it if you haven't already. People can't talk it up/down all they want, but it is you who's actually making the purchase in the end!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    icenija likes this.
  12. #12  
    law2010's Avatar

    Posts
    220 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    The so-called "premium" build leaves a lot and I mean a lot to be desired and for the life of me will never buy a curved back phone. I still require a removable battery as well. As far as camera goes 4 megapixels is 4 megapixels and is crap..... Reviews also back up my statement.



    I held a m7 and I can say Meh( Meh *10) to the build.



    Also I have used the s4 and now note 3 and does not take 15 seconds to focus. The LG g2 > htc m8 back buttons and all

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Lol. Says the guy using the all plastic and foe leather Note 3. Until you use an M8 for a few days, don't bother trashing it. This is one of those things where you actually don't know what you are talking about because you have no personal experience with the phone.

    Grow up.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Lol. Says the guy using the all plastic and foe leather Note 3. Until you use an M8 for a few days, don't bother trashing it. This is one of those things where you actually don't know what you are talking about because you have no personal experience with the phone.

    Grow up.

    Posted via Android Central App
    But he held the m7 in his hand for a few minutes. Lol

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    I am also upgrading from windows (lumia 820), i feel its time to go back to android. I have google music and chromecast and these integrate better with android.

    Most of my photos are on onedrive, however i will probably upload these to google drive as i believe you get 20gb of drive storage compared to onedrive's 7gb

    Nokia design and cameras are great, i was torn between the sony z2 because of the camera and the M8 because of the design. But the m8s camera results seemed to be good enough and comparable to my 820.
  15. #15  
    law2010's Avatar

    Posts
    220 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Liam McGregor View Post
    I am also upgrading from windows (lumia 820), i feel its time to go back to android. I have google music and chromecast and these integrate better with android.

    Most of my photos are on onedrive, however i will probably upload these to google drive as i believe you get 20gb of drive storage compared to onedrive's 7gb

    Nokia design and cameras are great, i was torn between the sony z2 because of the camera and the M8 because of the design. But the m8s camera results seemed to be good enough and comparable to my 820.
    One Drive works well on the HTC One M8. You can have it automatically upload your photos if you wish. I will note that Google Drive is a little bit more sleek looking and you get 50GB of storage for a year as a promotion for buying the M8. All I had to do to get 50GB of Google Drive storage was log into the app and it automatically recognized that I had an HTC One M8 and gave me the additional storage.

    Transferring your data from One Drive to Google Drive is very simple-- just drag and drop your folders from One Drive to Google Drive on your desktop and that's it.

    The M8 is pretty darn incredible and Sense 6 is very well refined and not bloated. Every new version of Sense is getting "slimmed" down to a more utilitarian interface that is simple but sophisticated, like stock Android. I am impressed with it.

    I am sure you will love the M8 after using it for a couple of days. Playing with a floor model in your carrier's store will not do it justice. You have to use this phone when it is not tethered to anything to truly appreciate how solid and premium it feels. Also, the speakers are incredibly loud and deep, which is a rarity on a smartphone. Watch some action movie trailers on it and see for yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by freddyttt View Post
    But he held the m7 in his hand for a few minutes. Lol

    Posted via Android Central App
    Right? This must make him an expert.
  16. #16  
    trekk's Avatar

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    I have a Nexus 5 so this might help you. I pay for Xbox music and everything works as it should. You have offline mode for your Playlist and I have not had any problems with the app. Regarding one drive I cannot really give you any help because I am a Dropbox user.

    Good luck

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    Lol. Says the guy using the all plastic and foe leather Note 3. Until you use an M8 for a few days, don't bother trashing it. This is one of those things where you actually don't know what you are talking about because you have no personal experience with the phone.

    Grow up.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Grow up? It is a 600 dollar device and I simply don't like the curved back no matter how you put it. I also don't like metal phones. Either way the m8 4mp ultra pixel camera isn't that good and won't touch a HTC phone until they upgrade that

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T
  18. #18  
    o2k
    o2k is offline
    o2k's Avatar

    Posts
    59 Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    Regarding the camera, it was one of the 2 things (the other being the size. I'm not a fan of 4.7 in or bigger screen) that concerned me before getting the phone. So I went to a Verizon store to try it out. At the store, a LG G2, also a top notch phone, was sitting right next to the M8. So I tried them both for a comparison. I couldn't really tell the difference, in terms of color, saturation, contrast, and details, for some simple point and shot in-store scenes. So that got rid of my worry.

    For a Nokia user it may play out differently though. I'm not sure if M8 cam is inferior, but you may miss the quality you have when you need to zoom in on a photo. However, a pro point may counter it--a low MP count actually requires less time to focus (assume other things being equal on the cams), and that quick focus ensures a higher probability of getting non-blurry photos (it's been a known issue for high MP count cams). After all a blurry photo has got nothing to zoom in.

    Go to a Verizon/ATT/BB store and try the phone yourself to decide if you like the phone or not, or if you can tolerate the photo quality.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One (M8)

    I just switched from the 928 to the M8. Onedrive works just like it does on iOS and windows phone-it will back up your camera after every photo if you want, so there's no hiccup in backing up your photos. OneNote also works well. I have not encountered any issues with Xbox music yet.
  20. #20  
    icenija's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

    Default Re: Windows Phone User thinking of getting HTC One

    Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Grow up? It is a 600 dollar device and I simply don't like the curved back no matter how you put it. I also don't like metal phones. Either way the m8 4mp ultra pixel camera isn't that good and won't touch a HTC phone until they upgrade that

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    You make valid points and if the things you describe that you don't like about this phone and you would never own one then why are you on a thread that is dedicated to a phone you claim you would never touch?

    Ice
    Thanked by:
    Skyway and ErnstMach like this.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One (M8): Lockscreen, downgrade ?
    By Julien Gabriel in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
  3. yellow on bottom half of screen
    By Brian Dawson in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 10:52 PM
  4. Android KitKat End of Life Cycle
    By kmf1 in forum Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
  5. How to back up pictures/Music/Phone contacts in Nexus
    By Jing Zhang in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Posting Permissions