HTC One (M8) Photos & Videos Thread

Chris Earl1

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Prior to today I was able to post directly from my phone to thus forum via Tapatalk....now I have a post count limit to reach before I can post pics. Wth?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A random moth or something that decided to take a break on my windshield. Macro setting, everything else auto/default.

Attachments

• 1408251265686.jpg
    1408251265686.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 55

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
23ccf01d950f71618c608e5569be211e.jpg

Photo that I took of my dinner at a restaurant. I used all Auto settings.

edbfa7ee51a83f842bb51aae18c86bf4.jpg

6ac6fabc34447f65d6d76fc9d9ce94e6.jpg

61271e4195bc4bd855a4c24f8aed5bc3.jpg

All of the above photos were taken at a July 4th fireworks show. I used the Night setting.

68868fec6e0232a1aa20beaa327c90f5.jpg

Shot taken with Auto settings, and edited using the HTC blur effect.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Share your HTC One (M8) photos, videos, and camera thoughts!

This is my first post here, have been on the iMore forums for 5 yrs though. Thinking about ditching my 5S and getting either the M8 or the LG G3. The pictures you guys are posting makes me lean towards the M8, but I have a few questions:
1. How is the camera at taking photos in dark bars/restaurants? Haven't seen many of those shots on here. (I probably spend too much time in bars looking at my camera roll).
2. How do you guys take much better photos than all the reviewers on tech sites? Some of these include reviewers that are photography focused, not just tech people.
3. Any of you guys have any thoughts comparing the G3 cam to the M8 cam?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

This is my first post here, have been on the iMore forums for 5 yrs though. Thinking about ditching my 5S and getting either the M8 or the LG G3. The pictures you guys are posting makes me lean towards the M8, but I have a few questions:
1. How is the camera at taking photos in dark bars/restaurants? Haven't seen many of those shots on here. (I probably spend too much time in bars looking at my camera roll).
2. How do you guys take much better photos than all the reviewers on tech sites? Some of these include reviewers that are photography focused, not just tech people.
3. Any of you guys have any thoughts comparing the G3 cam to the M8 cam?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

1. Exceptionally well. The M8 has a larger light sensor so it would take better shots at night, in bars, under artificial light than other Android phones.

2. Reviewers are pushed for time to get a review out as soon as they can. Early reviews mean more clicks on their website. So a lot of photos they take are just whatever they have near or around them. There have been real photographers taking photos with the M8, and the results are stunning:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56930129@N03/sets/72157643769963843/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt425/sets/72157642908546733/
Gear Review: A Photographers Take on The HTC One M8 (2014) | Colby Brown Photography

Galleries like those remind me that I have no idea how to take good photos.

3. I haven't used the G3 enough to comment on its camera. I can just comment on the M8's camera, which, for me, is really great. I'd like to show you the countless pics I've taken of myself and my friends at a bar/dinner/party, pictures of my nephew/niece at the playground etc, but I'm a very private person, so I won't be doing that. All I can tell you is that I'm really happy with the M8's camera and firmly believe it's more internet-hate bandwagon that give the camera on the M8 a bad name. When you look at the results, they're great. I've said it before, but I've taken and posted so many images on social media and in emails from my phone, not once has anyone ever said anything negative about the images I've taken, and regularly get compliments, especially when I Ufocus something.

Your best bet would be to just see the images posted here and in other forums with HTC One photo samples, and also of the LG G3 photo samples and then decide.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Your best bet would be to just see the images posted here and in other forums with HTC One photo samples, and also of the LG G3 photo samples and then decide.

Thanks for the reply. I've pretty much decided on the M8 over the G3. I find it fits in my hand a little better, and I think I prefer Sense over whatever LG's skin is called. I'm gonna take one more look in-store first, but I don't think I can go wrong. After seeing the quality photos in this thread reading a few tips from members like you on how to take better photos, I'm less worried.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I've pretty much decided on the M8 over the G3. I find it fits in my hand a little better, and I think I prefer Sense over whatever LG's skin is called. I'm gonna take one more look in-store first, but I don't think I can go wrong. After seeing the quality photos in this thread reading a few tips from members like you on how to take better photos, I'm less worried.

Yeah definitely check them out and decide. People like to pick at the phone just because it has the 4mp camera, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is really disappointed with the camera. As you can see in the links, you can take amazing shots and I'd seriously doubt people would be disappointed with those results. It's definitely the most reliable camera I've used on an Android device. I know regardless of the condition, sunshine, low light, indoors, artificial light, it's going to take at least a decent shot. Especially in low light/indoor shots, you don't get the grain you'll get in other cameras. I had the Xperia Z1 with a beefy 20mp camera and while I really did like the camera outdoors, it was pretty much useless indoors or at night having dinner with friends.

I find the camera extremely versatile, rather than just doing outdoor/bright shots well and then everything else mediocre, it does everything well. If you compare bright daylight shots on wide-landscape style photos, yes, the M8 will fall short to the other phones, but for pretty much everything else, I'd take the M8 over the others.

But still, I suggest you try them and see which you like. The reasons why I like the M8 and its camera may not be reasons for you to like it. You should see it for yourself judge.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I find the camera extremely versatile, rather than just doing outdoor/bright shots well and then everything else mediocre, it does everything well. If you compare bright daylight shots on wide-landscape style photos, yes, the M8 will fall short to the other phones, but for pretty much everything else, I'd take the M8 over the others.

But still, I suggest you try them and see which you like. The reasons why I like the M8 and its camera may not be reasons for you to like it. You should see it for yourself judge.
I almost never take landscape shots. 99% of my photos are taken indoors of my dog, friends, or family. I'm coming from an iPhone 5S which takes great pics in my opinion. I think I'll get the M8 and put the camera through as many different situations that I can for a week to try it out. I'll have 14 days that I can exchange it out at AT&T. TBH, the only last doubt I have is with zooming and cropping photos. I tend to do a good bit of that. Just gonna have to try it out and see. Thanks for all your help!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Thought I would upload a few pictures I took last week when I visited Paris - love this City!

IMAG0103.jpgIMAG0122.jpgIMAG0167.jpgimage (1).jpgimage.jpg

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Thought I would upload a few pictures I took last week when I visited Paris - love this City!

You'd think with all the hate for this camera, these pictures would have come out looking like a 4 year old drew them! Looks pretty good to me!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

You'd think with all the hate for this camera, these pictures would have come out looking like a 4 year old drew them! Looks pretty good to me!

Haha thanks mate :) yeah I honestly can't fault this camera. If you take the time to get the pic you want they will look cracking

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Haha thanks mate :) yeah I honestly can't fault this camera. If you take the time to get the pic you want they will look cracking
Yeah, I think it takes pretty solid pics for a smartphone. Is it the best camera? No. But it's still a great one. People get way too caught up in the MP issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21