Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Already have a scratch on my HTC One (M8) screen =(

Its not insanely noticeable but i was browsing my phone this morning and rubbed my finger and it showed up. Tested to make sure it wasn't a smudge by kind of skimming the screen with my fingernail and it is actually a scratch.

I've never used screen protectors and never want to. But one thing i don't understand is i had iPhone's for 4 years and never once scratched the screen, yet these phones with Gorilla Glass 3 i'm scratching. How am i scratching it? i never leave my phone in my pocket with keys or anything else for that matter.

Just really wish i knew how i'm getting these scratches =(

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Default Re: Already have a scratch on my M8 screen =(

That sucks man. I am sorry to read that.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
    Its not insanely noticeable but i was browsing my phone this morning and rubbed my finger and it showed up. Tested to make sure it wasn't a smudge by kind of skimming the screen with my fingernail and it is actually a scratch.

I've never used screen protectors and never want to. But one thing i don't understand is i had iPhone's for 4 years and never once scratched the screen, yet these phones with Gorilla Glass 3 i'm scratching. How am i scratching it? i never leave my phone in my pocket with keys or anything else for that matter.

Just really wish i knew how i'm getting these scratches =(
    Just curious what other phones have you scratched? I believed the older phones used Gorilla glass. On the other hand I've had my original one for a year and i'm pretty hard to it and don't have a signal mark on the screen.

Might need to put HTC Advantage program to use. Free glass placement
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by doc31 View Post
    Just curious what other phones have you scratched? I believed the older phones used Gorilla glass. On the other hand I've had my original one for a year and i'm pretty hard to it and don't have a signal mark on the screen.

The other one i had was the Galaxy S4. This scratch on my M8 is pretty small compared to the one i got on my S4. Same situation on that as well. never had my keys or anything else in the same pocket as my phone.

Good point on the glass replacement. I'll have to look into that once i get closer to my 6 month mark.

Sorry for your scratch.

When I had the M7 it fell off may lap in the car and the screen landed on the seat frame and I got a tiny scratch on it. It was literally a 1 foot drop onto the floor. All it takes is one light drop in the wrong place for it to happen. And that was the first phone that I did not have a Zagg on.. I'm giving the M8 a try without protection but I have a slightly better case this time.

That sucks. That is why I always use a case and a screen protector. But, it is really strange that a fingernail would scratch Gorilla Glass 3. Are you sure it wasn't scratched by something else?

Sand will do that. Maybe you had some on your finger.

I saw a video of a guy trying to scratch the M8 screen and he couldn't do it. Certain materials will scratch it though. My original One X sever obtained a scratch no matter how many times it was dropped. I renovated half a house and did a complete landscape with that phone sitting nearby and despite all the chaos that happened, it never got a screen blemish. Having a good case helped though, as it made it less prone to slipping.

I hate screen protectors too, but since they now have tempered glass screen protectors I jumped on them... It's like you don't have one on, ,they don't scratch easy, don't fingerprint as bad ... Spigen has one that's very thin and the corners are chamfered

Sorry for the scratch.

I never take chances. Screen protector gets applied via the sales representative at the store whenever I get a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    I hate screen protectors too, but since they now have tempered glass screen protectors I jumped on them... It's like you don't have one on, ,they don't scratch easy, don't fingerprint as bad ... Spigen has one that's very thin and the corners are chamfered
    I always used screen protectors reluctantly because without fail any phone I had without a screen protector would get a scratch. I have no idea how these people don't get any (I feel like they do, just don't notice them since they are minor). I recently switched to buying tempered glass screen protectors and I love them. They feel better than the screen IMO and look great. I don't recommend Spigen just because it is extremely over priced. Any tempered glass screen protector from ebay or amazon will do since even the cheap ones are great quality in my experience. Just one note though, they don't have chamfered edges they have rounded edges, chamfered would cause sharp edges on the side, the rounded ones feel amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by snobrdr2324 View Post
    I always used screen protectors reluctantly because without fail any phone I had without a screen protector would get a scratch. I have no idea how these people don't get any (I feel like they do, just don't notice them since they are minor). I recently switched to buying tempered glass screen protectors and I love them. They feel better than the screen IMO and look great. I don't recommend Spigen just because it is extremely over priced. Any tempered glass screen protector from ebay or amazon will do since even the cheap ones are great quality in my experience. Just one note though, they don't have chamfered edges they have rounded edges, chamfered would cause sharp edges on the side, the rounded ones feel amazing though.
    I meant rounded not chamfered lol... The spigen isn't that overpriced, the nano slim.Tr is what I've used.. Way thinner than most and no edges catching

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffleton View Post
    Sand will do that. Maybe you had some on your finger.
    This.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

I have had my One M8 for 3 days and already have a few very small scratches. Had my Evo 4G LTE for a year and a half or more and not one scratch without a screen protector. I'm pretty disappointed. My bad for no screen protector I guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by doc31 View Post

Definitely where HTC Advantage will come in handy.

I would wait a couple months to claim it though if it's not a noticeable scratch.

Posted via the One successor to the One

Quote Originally Posted by khughes6 View Post
    Definitely where HTC Advantage will come in handy.

I would wait a couple months to claim it though if it's not a noticeable scratch.

Posted via the One successor to the One
    I might be wrong, but I think the HTC advantage is only for broken screens

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post

Which is the process I am going through right now as mine fell face down on concrete and shattered. Had the M7 and not a scratch. Had the M8 a week and busted. Sure it's just bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by chris hackett View Post
    Which is the process I am going through right now as mine fell face down on concrete and shattered. Had the M7 and not a scratch. Had the M8 a week and busted. Sure it's just bad luck
    Sorry to hear that, truly sucks. Glass will inevitably break when the right stress is applied. I'm honestly surprised how well they hold up in most situations though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post

If it's scratched, but they only replace broken screens, I would assume an accidental drop from a kitchen table or something may cause a break, which can then be swapped. Just saying.

Just talked to a rep and she said you have one free glass replacement in the first 6 months. This covers cracks, or scratches. She also mentioned that they are out of the express delivery option and can only repair your existing phone at the moment which takes 5-7 business days. I am very tempted to send mine off as I already have a noticeable scratch but I have a son about to be born so want some good pics b4 i send it off.

Edit: just double checked on their online chat and the agent there said it would just cover broken or cracked glass, not scratches. Seems they are sending a few mixed messages
    Bot_Fly likes this.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Sense 6

Default Re: Already have a scratch on my HTC One (M8) screen =(

Just noticed one long-ish hairline scratch along the right side of my screen measuring about or a little over one inch. The thing is, it's easily seen in bright sunlight but you have to look at the area at a certain angle to catch just a mere partial glimpse at it. Also, there's a small scratch that's been present ever since I got my M8 but chosen to set aside as its very minor that's perpendicular to the top of the glass screen when held upright where it looks like a coating of sorts has worn off. If I'm not mistaken, the coating is usually the culprit for these spontaneous scratches but the issue for me is why just this certain spot?

Anyways, I might think about investing in a Spigen tempered glass screen protector to couple with my current case.

U WOT M8