Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Default Working: HTC M8 with Samsung Galaxy Gear

Hey Guys,

After some frustration, I can confirm that this method works for connecting the original Galaxy Gear with the HTC One (M8) no problem since it's running Bluetooth 4.0 LE, obviously with the Samsung apps limitations.

1. Download Gear Manager 1.6.111801 (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk) (if you are on a page with a whole list of apks, don't lose it!)
    2. Change extension from .apk to .zip
    3. Transfer to your phone
    (3.33 Make sure you have a file manager on your phone. I like Astro if you don't have one already)
    (3.67 Make sure you have allowed installing from)

4. Open com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip
    5. Navigate to assets>preInstallApks and install all the APK (there's something like 16 of them)
    6. Navigate back to the original folder and rename com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip to com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
    7. Install com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
    8. Download Gear Manager 1.7.031004 and put it on the phone (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk)
    9. Run com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk
    10. If your watch is brand new, you're going to have to update it to the newest software: google it.
    11. At this point if your watch is on, your phone should start searching for it, and maybe find it. I rebooted my phone once while it was trying to connect and when I opened up Gear Manager, it requested a sync and boom, synced.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Weather doesn't work as well as s-voice, obviously, nor does the media controller, but the dialer, find my phone, contacts, camera and photo transfer I can confirm are working.
    Last edited by mstrblueskys; 04-02-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Clarity

Default Re: Working: HTC M8 with Samsung Galaxy Gear

Awesome, it pairs and i can do what you wrote. I cant get notifications to work though. Have you got that working?

could you give me some info on what does and does not work on the gear when using it with the htc one m8 compared to samsung galaxy devices? Its the only thing putting me off of buying the m8..

ok i took the plunge and bought an m8 and sadly all is not well with my gear.. i followed the above steps and I can get the devices to see eachother and pair but when I get to the gear manager "connecting to gear" screen I get a time out and never connects despite several restarts.. any ideas?!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    ok i took the plunge and bought an m8 and sadly all is not well with my gear.. i followed the above steps and I can get the devices to see eachother and pair but when I get to the gear manager "connecting to gear" screen I get a time out and never connects despite several restarts.. any ideas?!
    I remember having that issue. Try to force-stop Gear Manager in Settings>Apps>Running Apps without restarting the watch or phone. Does that work?

Edit: Is your watch on the newest software update? I think that fixed it for me.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Quote Originally Posted by sizetwo View Post
    Awesome, it pairs and i can do what you wrote. I cant get notifications to work though. Have you got that working?
    I can get phone calls, but no notifications otherwise. If your gear is rooted and rommed I know you can, but otherwise it's not going to happen unless someone ports touchwiz notifications to Sense (at least that's my understanding).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    could you give me some info on what does and does not work on the gear when using it with the htc one m8 compared to samsung galaxy devices? Its the only thing putting me off of buying the m8..
    If you don't root the gear, you lose notifications and weather and the pedometer. That's all I've noticed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    I can get phone calls, but no notifications otherwise. If your gear is rooted and rommed I know you can, but otherwise it's not going to happen unless someone ports touchwiz notifications to Sense (at least that's my understanding).

If you don't root the gear, you lose notifications and weather and the pedometer. That's all I've noticed so far.
    ah ok, well no notifications kills it for me. That's the only reason I use my gear, I never really answer calls on it so it looks like it'll be going on ebay
    Last edited by davidnc; 06-12-2014 at 04:15 AM. Reason: moved their reply out of others quote was confusing