What is a good browser

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
When I had the rezound it had a stock browser w/ other browsers I can install. The HTC One does not have a stock browser, unless you count chrome.
Should I stick with Chrome or go for another browser?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
When I had the rezound it had a stock browser w/ other browsers I can install. The HTC One does not have a stock browser, unless you count chrome.
Should I stick with Chrome or go for another browser?

The HTC One does have a stock browser. It's called "Internet". It also comes with Chrome.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Verizon's version doesn't.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

....wut?

Verizon sound like a garbage carrier with their branding all over phones and now screwing with the software?

Also don't you guys in the US get terrible 4G speeds?

This is what I get at peak time (lunch break in the city) here. Took this speed test yesterday.

ateryza5.jpg

Unless Verizon have unbelievable network coverage and speeds, no way I'd go with them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's the best we have speed wise, at least for me.. I could care less about there tampering because once we get S-off the sky's the limit.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sorry should of mentioned my carrier Verizon

I'm honestly pretty shocked that Verizon would actually do that. Why would they care if the phone has a stock HTC browser? What's that got to do with the Verizon network? What benefit do they gain from removing the stock browser from the phone?

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly pretty shocked that Verizon would actually do that. Why would they care if the phone has a stock HTC browser? What's that got to do with the Verizon network? What benefit do they gain from removing the stock browser from the phone?

All good questions.. :)

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Could be some sort of deal with Google to get more exposure for Chrome? Just guessing here but honestly it wouldn't surprise me at all, Verizon sucks. They also removed the FM radio from the m7 and now with the m8

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I like Boat Browser the best. I use my phone 95% for browsing and boat lets me take care of multiple things at once, quickly and intuitively.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. They may have felt that Chrome was a better way to go for their customers. Most people are going to use whatever is "stock", maybe they wanted a premium stock browser. I'm with ATT but I've had Verison and they were great. Would easily go back. Actually, I just remembered, I have my wife's phone on Verizon.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was a big Dolphin guy for awhile but when I got my M7 I decided to try Chrome. I like it, especially the chrome to phone feature.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I've tried just about every one of the browsers that rate over 4 on the Play Store, and the default browser. The one that's worked the best for me was Chrome, but I stopped using that for two reasons:

1. Google's stubborn insistence on not providing an option for new windows in new tabs to open automatically. Every other browser I've used has that option, but not Chrome. I finally got fed up with it.
  2. I've likewise become thoroughly fed up with Google trying to force me to use Everything Google and treating me as a commodity. So I'm essentially reducing my use of Google apps and services to the extent feasible.

Right now I'm using Boat Browser (free) as the one that sucks least. That doesn't means it's "best," per se, because "best" implies a degree of goodness. With Android browsers it's more a case of "sucks least" or "is least sucky for the way I use it," in my experience. Usually, by now I'd have paid for the paid version of an app, but Boat just isn't good enough to justify doing so, IMO. (I'll probably eventually dump Boat and go back to the native browser, again. Boat just isn't that much better, and their adverts in the config screens annoy me.)

I used Dolphin for a while. Horribly slow--particularly on my HTC Sensation 4G.

None of them are worth a damn for things like posting to web forums. Every one of them screws up the edit dialogs--particularly when trying to cut-and-paste. It's gotten to the point I usually don't bother trying for anything other than trivial contributions--particularly on my phone. If I rated stuff on the Play Store I can't say as I'd rate a single Android browser I've tried higher than 3, and that's on a comparative scale. If I were rating them on an absolute scale I don't think a one of them would rate higher than 2.

Why am I so harsh on the browsers? Because, of all the apps that one could want on a mobile device, a good web browser you'd think would be second in importance only to... well, just about nothing, really. Okay: On a phone: The phone functionality. Yet, other than the possible exception of Chrome (unacceptable, to me, for the reasons mentioned): None of them are very good.