Do the on-screen buttons take up any of the larger display size?

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to pull the trigger and order it from HTC, but I can't find the answer to this question. Do I get *all* of the 5" display for my use, or do the Home, Back, and Menu software buttons consume any of that space?

TIA

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The buttons and status bar/notification panel are included in the display dimensions. So it's 5" from top corner to bottom corner of the area covered by pixels.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to pull the trigger and order it from HTC, but I can't find the answer to this question. Do I get *all* of the 5" display for my use, or do the Home, Back, and Menu software buttons consume any of that space?

TIA

The space taken up by the buttons is included in the 5" spec.

Posted via Android Central App

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, a couple of questions then.

- I have the M7...is the "usable" screen space noticeably different on the M8 now that the buttons are software?
- How does the usable space compare to its primary competitor - the S5? Also the G2 Pro and the Z2?

In case you hadn't noticed, I want something that is larger than the 4.7" usable space on my M7 but not as big as the Note 3 or HTC One Max. I am in love with my M7, but the looks and evolutionary changes appeal to me.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

- I have the M7...is the "usable" screen space noticeably different on the M8 now that the buttons are software?
- How does the usable space compare to its primary competitor - the S5? Also the G2 Pro and the Z2?

In case you hadn't noticed, I want something that is larger than the 4.7" usable space on my M7 but not as big as the Note 3 or HTC One Max. I am in love with my M7, but the looks and evolutionary changes appeal to me.

Alot of people are going to disagree with me, but yes I think it is noticeably larger. I had the m7 since about July of last year so I had plenty of time to get used to the screen size. I honestly can tell a difference and think it is a nice bump in screen size. Again, there will probably be a lot of people who chime in and completely disagree with me so take it how you will.

I can't comment on how it compares to other devices as I have no experience with them.

I would suggest go and check out out at one of you're local Verizon stores top judge for yourself

I really enjoyed my m7 and if you do too, then I don't think you will be disappointed by the m8

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Usable for a homescreen and many apps - it's very similar to the M7. For videos, photos and anything else that uses the APIs for immersive mode, it's bigger than the M7. The G2 is a 5.2" screen with on-screen buttons, so it's usable space follows the same rules as the M8 - on a larger screen, meaning that in any scenario, it's proportionately bigger than the M8 by approximately .2" diagonally. The S5 will have the largest usable space (excluding immersive mode) - which will be similar but slightly more than the LG G2, which will be larger than the M8 which will be slightly larger than the M7.

To do the math, the navigation bar is typically 96 pixels tall. Assuming the 16:9 ratio of the LG screen, ~2.55^2+4.53^2=5.2^2, then 96 pixels = 5% reduction in height making the G2 effectively 2.55^2+4.31^2=5.0^2 or 5" of usable space. The S5 will be 2.5^2+4.45^2=5.1^2 or 5.1" of usable space. The M8 follows as 2.45^2+4.14^2=4.81^2 or 4.81" of usable space. The M7 obviously had 4.7".

So, if the navigation row is not "usable", then Galaxy S5 = 5.1, LG G2 = 5.0, Droid Maxx = 5.0, Galaxy S4 = 4.99, HTC M8 = 4.81, Nexus 5 = 4.76, HTC M7 = 4.7, Moto X = 4.52, etc, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol