HTC One (M8): SD card issues

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Scott Mathison

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a HTC One M8 with a 128 GB Class 10 card and it works fine except for the Kit Kat security 'feature' that prevents apps from modifying contents from folders they didn't create. It currently has 40 GB of video on it which run beautiful through the Plex app.

So far the only apps that can delete stuff from external SD cards are stock apps. Since the HTC One M8 does not have a file manager I had to use the Gallery app to delete pictures. I tried using the built in Polaris app to delete documents, but that doesn't seem to be a feature of the app. So I still have no way to delete anything that isn't a picture.

So far I have tried unsuccessfully to use the following apps to delete things from the external SD:
eStrongs
AirDroid
USB connection to PC
File Expert
Astro
Tomi File Manager

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you encounter any error messages when trying to delete via USB to the PC? Using that method, you should have full write access to the external card. The only other options I can think of are either use a dedicated card reader, a phone running Jellybean or earlier, or root this phone and apply one of the "fixes."

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Google could really make life easier for people if they just added a simple preference setting like "Allow universal access to SD Card". It's really no different than allowing advanced users to install apps from unknown sources or tapping 7 times to enable developer options.

As it is, there really is no way to manage your own files on an SD card other than plugging it in to a computer which is unfortunate since Android phones have always been less dependent on a computer than their iPhone competition but now we're being forced to revert to this dependency. Curse you Matias.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you encounter any error messages when trying to delete via USB to the PC? Using that method, you should have full write access to the external card. The only other options I can think of are either use a dedicated card reader, a phone running Jellybean or earlier, or root this phone and apply one of the "fixes."

That does work, I've run into some problems with it though, with my M8 constantly disconnecting from my PC.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Google could really make life easier for people if they just added a simple preference setting like "Allow universal access to SD Card". It's really no different than allowing advanced users to install apps from unknown sources or tapping 7 times to enable developer options. .

Absolutely. What they've done is absurd. There are other less drastic options, too, like individual pop-ups (a la Microsoft Windows): you have Mx Player try to delete video on the card, warning pops up: "Do you want to allow MX Player to do this...?"

I suspect for many reasons that they are happier these days to make cards as hard to use as possible.

Last edited:

Prapat Sumlee

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
This problem was fixed.
I have OTA update version 2.22.707.3 Yesterday and this update bundle with Native File Manager which allow you to modified your SD card.
;)

hazmatnz

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
No point posting the apk. The file manager in 4.4.3 has the same permissions as anything on the Play Store when installed
standalone. The SD Card write permissions only come when installed as part of the firmware update.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
No point posting the apk. The file manager in 4.4.3 has the same permissions as anything on the Play Store when installed
standalone. The SD Card write permissions only come when installed as part of the firmware update.
How do you know that? Have you given the .apk to someone on 4.42 to try?

hazmatnz

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the 4.4.3 update, extracted the file manager apk, and installed it on my then 4.4.2 stock M8.

Wouldn't write to the SD card at all.

Installed the 4.4.3 update when it rolled out to my device and it worked fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Bubu_650

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: SD card issues

I was having the same problem with my HTC Desire 500 . simply unmount the SDcard , and mount it again . worked for me :cool:.. hope it will help u too :)

toobert3000

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
This the second phone I have had where different sd cards have STOPPED WORKING!! I have read the same remarks from others in different forums about this phone!! Any suggestions! the htc one v

Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech