Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    Does anyone use antivirus on this phone? will it affect performance? which is the best to use?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-05-2014 at 11:16 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    I use Lookout. I used it on my m7 and now the m8. I haven't had a single issue with performance or viruses/malware. It also packs some other nice features, I suggest you check it out

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Lookout and Avast are both good antivirus apps. Little to no effect on performance with either one.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    May I ask you guys what you are doing with your devices which require you to use an anti-virus app?
    pnoozi likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    May I ask you guys what you are doing with your devices which require you to use an anti-virus app?
    I don't use an antivirus app currently. Used them in the past when I had some concerns and at that time it was mostly to scan all my files, kept the app on the phone for awhile, then quit using them. Currently, I'm pretty careful with the apps that I install and where I get them from. Also I don't download files or apps on my phone from places that I do not have complete trust in. Some people just feel more at ease knowing that they have the added layer of protection with an antivirus app and I totally get that. Additionally, prior to Android Device Manager, antivirus apps offered a mechanism to track and remote lock/wipe lost or stolen phones that you couldn't do otherwise with Android. Now with Android Device Manager built in, that function with antivirus apps is not needed.
    GrooveRite and mavericket like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    I've never used Antivirus on my phone before and in fact don't even use any active protection on my full on computers. They really don't have all that much of an effect on whether you get a virus or not, that comes down to what you click on, what you can be tracked into downloading etc... I've felt in recent years that the best option is to have some non active protection software that'll be able to clear out a virus if you get one, but that active protection, especially paid, is in no way worth it.

    Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    James E1 and njlx2016 like this.
  7. #7  
    wxrusss8's Avatar

    Posts
    63 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Sense 4+

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    I've never used antivirus software on any of my phones or tablets. I never have thought it was necessary. If you are using pirated apps (which I don't recommend doing), then it may be useful. I heard avast is OK.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,359 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    OP You don't need anti virus of any kind on an Android device. I been using Android since the Nexus One and NEVER had the need for any sort of anti virus. I would completely overlook any anti-virus recommendations made to you by others on this thread.

    I do recommend Adblock Plus for Android if you're annoyed by pop ups or annoying advertisements.
    2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    pnoozi likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Do I have to download an anti virus on my HTC m8 like Samsung?? Or they have already like iPhone no need an anti virus??
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    I've never used Antivirus on my phone before and in fact don't even use any active protection on my full on computers. They really don't have all that much of an effect on whether you get a virus or not, that comes down to what you click on, what you can be tracked into downloading etc... I've felt in recent years that the best option is to have some non active protection software that'll be able to clear out a virus if you get one, but that active protection, especially paid, is in no way worth it.

    Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    er, no.

    Some viruses can infect legitimate sites and will transfer to you from legitimate websites. Google, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. That's probably the most common source of viruses on the people's computers. I've seen people that never do "dangerous" browsing get hit with nasty viruses, and have been hit by them myself. An anti-virus program, such as Avast!, will pick it up and deal with it immediately. If you have nothing...well, that's your choice, but I would like to kindly ask you to stop giving others this advice as it is truly not good. Since I work with computers and have done everything from basic repair/troubleshooting to full system and network builds, I can assure you that anti-virus software is an absolute necessity.
    brick58 likes this.
  11. #11  
    Poseign's Avatar
    Mobile Enthusiast

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by dty06 View Post
    er, no.

    Some viruses can infect legitimate sites and will transfer to you from legitimate websites. Google, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. That's probably the most common source of viruses on the people's computers. I've seen people that never do "dangerous" browsing get hit with nasty viruses, and have been hit by them myself. An anti-virus program, such as Avast!, will pick it up and deal with it immediately. If you have nothing...well, that's your choice, but I would like to kindly ask you to stop giving others this advice as it is truly not good. Since I work with computers and have done everything from basic repair/troubleshooting to full system and network builds, I can assure you that anti-virus software is an absolute necessity.
    Yeahh... You are rather brave to be messing around out on the internet on a pc without antivirus. Not to hijack this thread with off topic chatter, but even a simple free antivirus like avg is completely worthwhile when it comes to pc web browsing. Even on legit sites I get that occasional pop-up from avg stating it blocked or removed a threat. I can't imagine how many viruses you probably have on that machine of yours that you dont have a clue about. Really hope you aren't doing any online banking/purchasing on that thing, and I'll know to never accept a file transfer from you. Trust, the IT guys (me and the quoted above) know what we're talking about, and you are walking a very fragile line.

    As far as mobile device anti virus, viruses have been made for android and deployed on websites that you CAN catch just by going to those sites, although I have heard it is mainly a risk if you visit or watch videos on porn sites. I personally do not use AV on my android device however I no longer cringe at people who feel it necessary to have one, because yeah the risks are out there they just aren't as prevalent if you are watching what you do and download.



    Sent from my HTC One (m8) using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    I use Webroot and Anti-Malware bytes

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    Yeahh... You are rather brave to be messing around out on the internet on a pc without antivirus. Not to hijack this thread with off topic chatter, but even a simple free antivirus like avg is completely worthwhile when it comes to pc web browsing. Even on legit sites I get that occasional pop-up from avg stating it blocked or removed a threat. I can't imagine how many viruses you probably have on that machine of yours that you dont have a clue about. Really hope you aren't doing any online banking/purchasing on that thing, and I'll know to never accept a file transfer from you. Trust, the IT guys (me and the quoted above) know what we're talking about, and you are walking a very fragile line.

    As far as mobile device anti virus, viruses have been made for android and deployed on websites that you CAN catch just by going to those sites, although I have heard it is mainly a risk if you visit or watch videos on porn sites. I personally do not use AV on my android device however I no longer cringe at people who feel it necessary to have one, because yeah the risks are out there they just aren't as prevalent if you are watching what you do and download.



    Sent from my HTC One (m8) using Tapatalk
    Yep, 100% this.

    I use Avast! for Android on my M8 and have used Lookout as well on previous devices. It's not just about anti-virus, it's also got a phone locator (in case it's stolen or lost) and can remotely delete all your data (useful if you use banking apps or other sensitive things on your phone) and can make the device completely useless if you want to. That's really what I use it for, but the anti-virus protection is nice as well.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    As far as mobile device anti virus, viruses have been made for android and deployed on websites that you CAN catch just by going to those sites, although I have heard it is mainly a risk if you visit or watch videos on porn sites.
    I run AVG on mine and recommend others use something as well just for this reason. I knew it'd be a matter of when, not if malware would be developed that could sneak into Android, and I say it's better to have anti-malware installed as an additional barrier for when a virus does finally pop up than to install after the fact.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    I'm pretty careful with the apps that I install and where I get them from. Also I don't download files or apps on my phone from places that I do not have complete trust in.
    Malicious Google Play Clone Steals Banking Credentials

    You were saying??
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    While viruses can be transferred via file attachments from email on Gmail and Yahoo or any other source, you'll never get one from going to Google and finding that it's been infected by some hacker. They take their security seriously, that's just not a thing that happens. What might happen is a redirect to a phishing site that looks like Google. But that's only going to fool you if you don't know what to look for, and usually only going to happen if you've already been somewhere you shouldn't and downloaded the initial part of the virus.

    Again, you'll almost never get a virus if you know what you're doing. I work in IT as well, and yeah, I'd be hesitant to recommend that a non experienced user go Antivirus free because most people are idiots when it comes to computer hygiene and will click on every single thing they see and hit install or download all day long.

    If it makes you any less skeptical I do have a couple of virus scanners (non active protection) like Malwarebytes, that I run occasionally just to double check. But yeah, don't be an ***** online, don't get viruses. This is especially true of Android. You basically have to install and run something that almost always looks extremely shady.

    For me, on computers and on Android, the intrusiveness of Antivirus isn't worth it. avg is alright, but still slows things down during automatic scans. Programs like mcafee or Norton are basically no better than viruses themselves. And working in IT when a user brings their computer in with a virus, 90% of the time they're running some kind of Antivirus. It's just not worth the cost for advanced users.

    Sent from my HTC One M8
    pnoozi likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by vbrhone View Post
    Do I have to download an anti virus on my HTC m8 like Samsung?? Or they have already like iPhone no need an anti virus??
    Anything can get a virus, even iPhones or Macs. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it to be running an Antivirus program in the background 24/7. I say no. Others here will say yes.

    Sent from my HTC One M8
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    Better to be safe than sorry later. I've detected 2 Trojans and removed them using ESET SECURITY application. You may get some false positive results, but you can check with the application developers

    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    IDENTIFY AS DESKTOP and avoid using the Browser app. Be very careful about your .apk sources.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for M8 ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    Yeahh... You are rather brave to be messing around out on the internet on a pc without antivirus. Not to hijack this thread with off topic chatter, but even a simple free antivirus like avg is completely worthwhile when it comes to pc web browsing. Even on legit sites I get that occasional pop-up from avg stating it blocked or removed a threat. I can't imagine how many viruses you probably have on that machine of yours that you dont have a clue about. Really hope you aren't doing any online banking/purchasing on that thing, and I'll know to never accept a file transfer from you. Trust, the IT guys (me and the quoted above) know what we're talking about, and you are walking a very fragile line.
    Just because your anti-virus application pops up the occasional message about removing or blocking a threat doesn't mean it has really benefited you. First of all, anti-virus apps tend to be overly cautious and end up blocking a lot of totally harmless, normal things. The vast majority of these "threats" are actually totally harmless. Chances are your anti-virus program has never blocked a single virus. Secondly, the publishers of these anti-virus apps have an incentive to "block" something occasionally, to reinforce the idea that you need an anti-virus program. It's completely overblown.

    Modern browsers and operating systems provide all the security you need assuming you're smart enough not to install "videoplayer.exe" from that porn site.
  21. #21  
    Poseign's Avatar
    Mobile Enthusiast

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
    Just because your anti-virus application pops up the occasional message about removing or blocking a threat doesn't mean it has really benefited you. First of all, anti-virus apps tend to be overly cautious and end up blocking a lot of totally harmless, normal things. The vast majority of these "threats" are actually totally harmless. Chances are your anti-virus program has never blocked a single virus. Secondly, the publishers of these anti-virus apps have an incentive to "block" something occasionally, to reinforce the idea that you need an anti-virus program. It's completely overblown.

    Modern browsers and operating systems provide all the security you need assuming you're smart enough not to install "videoplayer.exe" from that porn site.
    Well sir while I respect your opinion much like I respect anyone else who has a chance to speak their mind I will continue to respectfully disagree with this outlook and opinion. I have seen firsthand what type of damage can be done on a computer that has no Antivirus installed and it's not pretty. Yeah, most of the crap is just that, crap annoyances that try to ransom your computer for a 200 dollar quick fix. Then there are the key loggers and packet sniffers that will install themselves invisibly on to your computer after you download something that seems legitimate, record everything you do, transmit it elsewhere only for you to find out your credit cards and bank accounts have been compromised. Does it happen frequently? No. But it DOES happen and not having that active protection there increases the chances exponentially from the 0.02% they probably really are.

    On today's machines there is virtually no overhead from a light active scanner like AVG and MSE. There's really no reason NOT to have one. But that's my outlook and you may disagree.

    Edit: I do normally watch what is blocked when my scanner pops up with a threat and yes I do sometimes see the threat being something in my computer that I willingly downloaded that is throwing a flag for some reason or another (and old old game key generator comes to mind) but no, that doesn't happen often. The pop-ups themselves don't come up often, but often enough for me to not want to think about running around on the Internet without an active scanner.
    Last edited by Poseign; 06-26-2014 at 11:15 PM.
  22. #22  
    Poseign's Avatar
    Mobile Enthusiast

    Posts
    644 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    While viruses can be transferred via file attachments from email on Gmail and Yahoo or any other source, you'll never get one from going to Google and finding that it's been infected by some hacker. They take their security seriously, that's just not a thing that happens. What might happen is a redirect to a phishing site that looks like Google. But that's only going to fool you if you don't know what to look for, and usually only going to happen if you've already been somewhere you shouldn't and downloaded the initial part of the virus.

    Again, you'll almost never get a virus if you know what you're doing. I work in IT as well, and yeah, I'd be hesitant to recommend that a non experienced user go Antivirus free because most people are idiots when it comes to computer hygiene and will click on every single thing they see and hit install or download all day long.

    If it makes you any less skeptical I do have a couple of virus scanners (non active protection) like Malwarebytes, that I run occasionally just to double check. But yeah, don't be an ***** online, don't get viruses. This is especially true of Android. You basically have to install and run something that almost always looks extremely shady.

    For me, on computers and on Android, the intrusiveness of Antivirus isn't worth it. avg is alright, but still slows things down during automatic scans. Programs like mcafee or Norton are basically no better than viruses themselves. And working in IT when a user brings their computer in with a virus, 90% of the time they're running some kind of Antivirus. It's just not worth the cost for advanced users.

    Sent from my HTC One M8
    But you can indeed get one from downloading a program (let's say RealPlayer as an example) from a third party site or "legitimate mirror" that happens to be packaged with the downloadable zip. Not having real time protection you aren't going to catch that. You don't have to be computer dumb to have malicious code installed on your computer. It's just a more likely if you don't know what you're doing.

    Ok back on topic.

    I have since reading this post for the first time installed AVG on my phone as I was curious how bad the footprint would be. In the week or so I have had it ive noticed no additional battery drain, if there was any it's been very minor, and the footprint in the battery usage window in the phone settings is almost non existent. It is set up to scan once a week when plugged in, so a scan never affects battery or performance as I'm never using it when it does its scan, and active scanning scans anything that is downloaded on the phone at the time it's downloaded. For a phone Antivirus I think it works very nicely with no noticeable performance or battery hit.
  23. #23  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    While viruses can be transferred via file attachments from email on Gmail and Yahoo or any other source, you'll never get one from going to Google and finding that it's been infected by some hacker. They take their security seriously, that's just not a thing that happens. What might happen is a redirect to a phishing site that looks like Google. But that's only going to fool you if you don't know what to look for, and usually only going to happen if you've already been somewhere you shouldn't and downloaded the initial part of the virus.

    Again, you'll almost never get a virus if you know what you're doing. I work in IT as well, and yeah, I'd be hesitant to recommend that a non experienced user go Antivirus free because most people are idiots when it comes to computer hygiene and will click on every single thing they see and hit install or download all day long.

    If it makes you any less skeptical I do have a couple of virus scanners (non active protection) like Malwarebytes, that I run occasionally just to double check. But yeah, don't be an ***** online, don't get viruses. This is especially true of Android. You basically have to install and run something that almost always looks extremely shady.

    For me, on computers and on Android, the intrusiveness of Antivirus isn't worth it. avg is alright, but still slows things down during automatic scans. Programs like mcafee or Norton are basically no better than viruses themselves. And working in IT when a user brings their computer in with a virus, 90% of the time they're running some kind of Antivirus. It's just not worth the cost for advanced users.

    Sent from my HTC One M8
    Even if you're careful (I only go to web sites with a decent readership and reputation and I still get something that pops up every few years that is caught before it gets on my computers or needs to be cleaned up because the real time monitoring didn't pick it up. I don't think it's very necessary on phones (because I'm not really working or browsing as much as the desktop and a phone has less horsepower to handle the task) and I once got a virus (back in 05) on a brand new computer that had Anti Virus installed (basically the old Norton crapware) and got infected as I was connecting to the internet to update the computer (my first task). Fortunately I hadn't done anything else so I just booted up the recovery CD and reinstalled Windows XP.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    I use CM Security... No impact to battery or performance. Is AVG better? A lot of folks out here are using it I see, also notice nobody is using CM ...cringe.


    Anyone who says they don't need AV especially on a computer is flat out of their mind. I also am an IT pro and can clearly tell you it's manditory! The only system I do not run AV on is my studio DAW (recording studio PC) because it's not connected to any network and I never copy anything except .wav or .mp3s to it!

    Posted via Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Android Antivirus for HTC One (M8)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    But you can indeed get one from downloading a program (let's say RealPlayer as an example) from a third party site or "legitimate mirror" that happens to be packaged with the downloadable zip. Not having real time protection you aren't going to catch that. You don't have to be computer dumb to have malicious code installed on your computer. It's just a more likely if you don't know what you're doing.
    How am I going to be infected by malware? Unlike many years ago, my operating system and browser (along with everyone else's) are always updated to the latest, most secure version. I don't download files from untrusted sources.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are HTC One (M8) users using for text?
    By blackdogAC in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM
  2. Any way to get the android app code back from android device.
    By Sunil Kumar2327 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions