Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
HTC had put the power button on the side. I cant reach the power button without having to completely juggle the phone in my hand or use my other hand. Its really annoying. The controls to turn the phone on are great, but turning it on invariably leads to turning it off.

Does it just not bother you or have you figured something out that I haven't?

Last edited by a moderator:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the M8 if only................

I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=moBIgwl6

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=r0EPr4bC

Thats a good suggestion. Ill give it a try.

Still would prefer a side mounted power button.

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=JzJXLA7r

I don't have an issue with the power button location, but then again, I'm 6'5 and can palm a basketball like a grapefruit. :) I just installed this app to test it out, anyway. It's SWEET! Great find and suggestion, mhunter! This will definitely solve garment's "size issue"! :)

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Coming from a GS4 it took me minutes to get used to. Not a big deal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Glad I could help. That's the beauty of Android, if there's something you don't like or want/need to change you usually can because "there's an app for that". :)

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

The dot view case helps with that. I just close the cover to turn off the screen.

Posted via Android Central App

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Edit: sorry op. Looks like you may already be using gestures to wake?

Why not use the gestures? I'm hardly using the power button at all. When sleeping, pick up the device, double tap the display to wake. Or when asleep, swipe up, down, left, or right dependent on what you want to do. You should also be able to put it back to sleep with a double tap of the display (I think), but I'm still sorting that one out.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

I don't have an issue with the power button location, but then again, I'm 6'5 and can palm a basketball like a grapefruit. :) I just installed this app to test it out, anyway. It's SWEET! Great find and suggestion, mhunter! This will definitely solve garment's "size issue"! :)

I'm like you and I am 6'6" so it's no problem for me. Sometimes I hear people say it's to big or they can't reach the power button and I think I have no problem but then I remember that everyone isn't as tall as us.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Edit: sorry op. Looks like you may already be using gestures to wake?

Why not use the gestures? I'm hardly using the power button at all. When sleeping, pick up the device, double tap the display to wake. Or when asleep, swipe up, down, left, or right dependent on what you want to do. You should also be able to put it back to sleep with a double tap of the display (I think), but I'm still sorting that one out.

I think the double tap to sleep only works from the lockscreen so once you've unlocked the phone you have to either let the phone go to sleep on it's own or press the power button.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Well I don't have large hands like some but I don't have a issue hitting the button when turning the screen off... I have it down to one smooth motion.. I move my pinky finger switch supports the phone when I'm using it, it slides down, then I tighten my grab and finally I use my index finger to hit the button. Maybe I should make a video 😝 lol :p

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=7Okq5cfC

This is a great app, thanks for sharing!

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Use your other hand? The one that isn't holding the phone? You do have two hands, lol

This is very close to being a two handed device. I do have semi large hands and I still use two hands with it. One to hold, one to actually use the phone. When I need to hit the power button, the other hand reaches up and presses the button very easily.

Just trying to help

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I use Nova Launcher with the Nova Launcher Prime add on. If you use the above app screen off lock you can enable a gesture on Nova (double tap) to the Screen off and lock app it will shut off your phone with a double tap now.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I use Nova Launcher with the Nova Launcher Prime add on. If you use the above app screen off lock you can enable a gesture on Nova (double tap) to the Screen off and lock app it will shut off your phone with a double tap now.

That's what I do. But keep in mind you can't use HTC's widgets with Nova Launcher. The double tap gesture will also work from HTC's lock screen, which isn't always the case with other manufacturer lockscreens.

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

That's what I do. But keep in mind you can't use HTC's widgets with Nova Launcher. The double tap gesture will also work from HTC's lock screen, which isn't always the case with other manufacturer lockscreens.

Good point. There is a workaround for blink feed too but that is all I know of.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

You are a genius!
Thanks for the tip :)

robbski300

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm like you and I am 6'6" so it's no problem for me. Sometimes I hear people say it's to big or they can't reach the power button and I think I have no problem but then I remember that everyone isn't as tall as us.

It's tough being a freak of nature, but somebody's gotta do it. :) There's about a hundred different apps out there to shut your screen off. I don't think I'll EVER hit the power button on this phone (finally arriving on Monday).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11