Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

HTC had put the power button on the side. I cant reach the power button without having to completely juggle the phone in my hand or use my other hand. Its really annoying. The controls to turn the phone on are great, but turning it on invariably leads to turning it off.

Does it just not bother you or have you figured something out that I haven't?
    Thanked by 2:
    scottysize likes this.

Default Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the M8 if only................

I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenofflock
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the M8 if only................

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter6378 View Post
    I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....screenofflock
    Thats a good suggestion. Ill give it a try.

Still would prefer a side mounted power button.

I don't have an issue with the power button location, but then again, I'm 6'5 and can palm a basketball like a grapefruit. I just installed this app to test it out, anyway. It's SWEET! Great find and suggestion, mhunter! This will definitely solve garment's "size issue"!
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Coming from a GS4 it took me minutes to get used to. Not a big deal.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    cizzlen likes this.

Glad I could help. That's the beauty of Android, if there's something you don't like or want/need to change you usually can because "there's an app for that".
    Thanked by:
    ErnstMach likes this.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts

The dot view case helps with that. I just close the cover to turn off the screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    cizzlen likes this.

Edit: sorry op. Looks like you may already be using gestures to wake?

Why not use the gestures? I'm hardly using the power button at all. When sleeping, pick up the device, double tap the display to wake. Or when asleep, swipe up, down, left, or right dependent on what you want to do. You should also be able to put it back to sleep with a double tap of the display (I think), but I'm still sorting that one out.

kanucme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robbski300 View Post
    I don't have an issue with the power button location, but then again, I'm 6'5 and can palm a basketball like a grapefruit. I just installed this app to test it out, anyway. It's SWEET! Great find and suggestion, mhunter! This will definitely solve garment's "size issue"!
    I'm like you and I am 6'6" so it's no problem for me. Sometimes I hear people say it's to big or they can't reach the power button and I think I have no problem but then I remember that everyone isn't as tall as us.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterygirl View Post
    Edit: sorry op. Looks like you may already be using gestures to wake?

Why not use the gestures? I'm hardly using the power button at all. When sleeping, pick up the device, double tap the display to wake. Or when asleep, swipe up, down, left, or right dependent on what you want to do. You should also be able to put it back to sleep with a double tap of the display (I think), but I'm still sorting that one out.

I think the double tap to sleep only works from the lockscreen so once you've unlocked the phone you have to either let the phone go to sleep on it's own or press the power button.
    Thanked by:
    cizzlen likes this.

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts

Well I don't have large hands like some but I don't have a issue hitting the button when turning the screen off... I have it down to one smooth motion.. I move my pinky finger switch supports the phone when I'm using it, it slides down, then I tighten my grab and finally I use my index finger to hit the button. Maybe I should make a video 😝 lol

This is a great app, thanks for sharing!

Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Use your other hand? The one that isn't holding the phone? You do have two hands, lol

This is very close to being a two handed device. I do have semi large hands and I still use two hands with it. One to hold, one to actually use the phone. When I need to hit the power button, the other hand reaches up and presses the button very easily.

Just trying to help

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Default Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

Root, put Viper One ROM,on it, have volume down button turn your phone on- off.

I use Nova Launcher with the Nova Launcher Prime add on. If you use the above app screen off lock you can enable a gesture on Nova (double tap) to the Screen off and lock app it will shut off your phone with a double tap now.
    Thanked by:
    cizzlen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydwg View Post
    I use Nova Launcher with the Nova Launcher Prime add on. If you use the above app screen off lock you can enable a gesture on Nova (double tap) to the Screen off and lock app it will shut off your phone with a double tap now.
    That's what I do. But keep in mind you can't use HTC's widgets with Nova Launcher. The double tap gesture will also work from HTC's lock screen, which isn't always the case with other manufacturer lockscreens.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    That's what I do. But keep in mind you can't use HTC's widgets with Nova Launcher. The double tap gesture will also work from HTC's lock screen, which isn't always the case with other manufacturer lockscreens.
    Good point. There is a workaround for blink feed too but that is all I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydwg View Post
    You are a genius!
    Thanks for the tip

Default Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

Also the HTC Flip case (not the Dot View) is a smart case.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by James E1 View Post
    I'm like you and I am 6'6" so it's no problem for me. Sometimes I hear people say it's to big or they can't reach the power button and I think I have no problem but then I remember that everyone isn't as tall as us.
    It's tough being a freak of nature, but somebody's gotta do it. There's about a hundred different apps out there to shut your screen off. I don't think I'll EVER hit the power button on this phone (finally arriving on Monday).
    cizzlen likes this.

i tried this app and its useful, but i cant get it to wake without using the power button.any suggestions?

I love the power button on the top and I'm glad HTC has continued to leave it there. I'm much more likely to accidentally turn my screen off with a side power button. Also, my first Android was the Evo so it just seems right to be up top.

cizzlen and brianbusby9999 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robbski300 View Post
    It's tough being a freak of nature, but somebody's gotta do it. There's about a hundred different apps out there to shut your screen off. I don't think I'll EVER hit the power button on this phone (finally arriving on Monday).
    Thats why we got the Note series. To make us feel more normal. So when someone with a 5 inch screen complains about not being able to hit the power button we can pretend to know what they are going thru with a Note 3.
    Glad to see im not the only one in the tall club in the forums.

Than you. I just installed this and will never use the power button in top again to sleep the device.

Ill double tap to wake it up !

Win win

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post
    i tried this app and its useful, but i cant get it to wake without using the power button.any suggestions?
    Go into Settings>Display & gestures>Motion Launch gestures and be sure Motion Launch gestures on the resulting screen is checked. When you have this function turned on - with screen off, lift the phone up to portrait and double tap the screen or swipe from the left/right or swipe down from top half of screen or swipe up from bottom half of screen to wake the phone into the various modes. When you do it right you will feel a haptic feedback (slight vibration). If it is not working with the setting turned on and performing the wake gestures correctly you may have some issue that needs resolving.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast