Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): How do I get my emails faster?

I have my M8 mostly to help run my business and I get emails from 7 different accounts (gmail, aol, etc). The One X used to be very snappy and sometimes even get emails before they'd show up on my PC. I just set up the M8 to receive emails yesterday (though I haven't connected it to phone service yet) and while some emails are swift, most are a minute or two behind the One X. What are the best settings for me to get emails ASAP through the stock email apps?

BTW, I'm probably not going to download a separate app since I am already familiar with the stock layout and don't need the change.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Default Re: How do I get my emails faster?

I'm curious about this as well. I have multiple accounts on the stock e-mail app and most of the time they are behind. Many time I'll get one from one account then when open and look at it, I'll have others come in from 20-30 minutes ago.

I like having all the accounts in one folder rather than having to look at different apps or folders. I've messed with the settings so much maybe I've just jacked things up and don't have it set right.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: How do I get my emails faster?

Bump for this. Someone has to has to have an idea.

Global Posts
    4,361 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC One (M8): How do I get my emails faster?

Same thing was happening to me here's what I did

Settings >>>power >>>un check sleep mode

All my emails and notifications come in at real time and not when I wake up my device

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

which email client are you using, all pop email is base on polling and you can change the frequency of the poll. Gmail is instant because it is pushed. My personal email is forward to my gmail account immediately so it is instant. A lot of people set up a gmail account and have gmail do the work connecting to pop or aol.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    which email client are you using, all pop email is base on polling and you can change the frequency of the poll. Gmail is instant because it is pushed. My personal email is forward to my gmail account immediately so it is instant. A lot of people set up a gmail account and have gmail do the work connecting to pop or aol.
    That's what I did for my other accounts too. It's not a perfect solution, but it works for me. I also don't have a ton of other accounts like some people do.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    Not sure that I understand. If you could give me a very basic explanation of how I have my aols and gmails move faster, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks, but that's not really what I want to do. My AOL mail shows up to my One X right away. The M8 is slow on everything.

Do you have the mail app set to push? I know mine was defaulted to something called smart sync and depending on the time of day it could be pretty slow. I think it is some kind of power saving mode but can't imagine that it is really going to save that much power in the long run.

Armadillo, the other white meat.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    Do you have the mail app set to push? I know mine was defaulted to something called smart sync and depending on the time of day it could be pretty slow. I think it is some kind of power saving mode but can't imagine that it is really going to save that much power in the long run.

I can't find a push setting on the stock mail app. Do you know where to find it? I did find that using the gmail app for my gmail accounts made them instant. But, the aol in my stock email app takes forever under "smart sync". I wish i knew why the One X stock mail was so fast while the M8 is almost worthless for business. I'm inclined to think it has to do with my settings and not the phone.

It's the first choice in sync send and recieve in the mail apps settings.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    It's the first choice in sync send and recieve in the mail apps settings.

Thanks for the help so far. The first 3 options in that menu are peak and off-peak settings. They give options of; "smart sync", "manual", "5 min", "10 min", etc. Smart Syc isn't working fast enough but 5 min is still sometimes problematic for me, especially when I have payments coming in, trouble-shooting dialogues, etc.

what did u use on your old phone and which accounts are you having issues with? google and aol(as you said) are instant.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Sorry for being late to this. I have an imap account for my personal email. I was not given the option to "push" email. I also found this annoying. When I used Android in the past (left and came running back), I used Maildroid. The built in HTC email client does not seem to push for imap. Pop never does, so i assume you have imap for your account. I can recommend maildroid. I paid for the pro because $5 is worth removing the ads and contributing. I believed it to be a little faster too. Try the free one to see if it meets your needs.

I read on a thread (I actually thought it was yours) that someone recommended setting up the account as if it is active sync even though it is imap. I can't wrap my head around why that would work. I was satisfied with just using maildroid as a standalone app for that account. They do come in quickly.

Good Luck,
    Dave

I apologize for my reading deficiency. I see you don't want a separate app. I do not think the built in app supports Imap push. I am with you though....It should.
    Thanked by:
    B0WIE