HTC One (M8): The SD card...why use it?

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm talking about another reason aside than "for expanding the on-board storage of the device"...

Sure, expansion of storage is good stuff, but I want some rock solid answers. Right now, I have my photos saved to the SD card. For me this makes lots of sense, for if anything happened to my phone, I still have the pictures on the SD card. I guess it could also make photo transfer faster. I also have my music on my SD card.

What do you use your SD card for? What are the real advantages to having an SD card? Is it because freeing the on-board storage up will make the device faster?

This is my first phone in a while that utilizes an SD, and knowing some of the good things about it would benefit me greatly.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: The SD card...why use it?

I think storage is a pretty good reason in and of itself. I can't fit even a 10th of my music on the phone's 32gig storage.
I don't need one aside than extra storage. I know that's not what you're looking for but you can't really ask what the REAL advantage of an SD card is and exclude storage as an answer.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I can't fit even a 10th of my music on the phone's 32gig storage.
You have over 320 gigs of music? There aren't sd cards that hold that much either. Do you have multiple SD cards you swap around and stuff? Just wondering, I always like options so I have no problems with expandable storage.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

You have over 320 gigs of music? There aren't sd cards that hold that much either. Do you have multiple SD cards you swap around and stuff? Just wondering, I always like options so I have no problems with expandable storage.
I have about 350 gigs and still need to add a dozen more CDs to that. 150gigs are MP3, the rest is FLAC. Oh, then I have about 25 albums on Amazon cloud. I do not keep it all on my phone. I have to have a large variety of music as a reference, for my line of work. I just load up whatever I am going to be listening to for a while and switch it around when needed. I just bought a 64 gig card for my phone because close to 100 gigs will cover 90% of the things I listen to.

The first SD card I bought about 9 years ago was half a gig for $85, so I no longer buy the latest and greatest in storage since it's a waste. I just get whatever I absolutely need and know that today's tech will be dirt cheap tomorrow.

Axefire

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

I just got a 64gig sandisk micro SD card, and installed it in my M8.... Because I can! I use it for pics, videos, and music...There are a lot of questions and even complaints about not having full access to the SD card, but people have to realize its Kitkat not HTC... It's all about Linux based storage security... rogue apps not gaining access to areas that they shouldn't...

Posted via Android Central app

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

My SD card has a lot of media on it. It has my photos, videos, podcasts, audible audio books, and most of my apps that support app2sd.

Posted via Android Central App

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

In case phone f***s up or doesnt tuen on, all stuff on sd card are safe. Plus you can easily trasfer all important stuff from one phone to the other.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

I'll only get an SD card if it becomes clear that 32GB isn't enough internal storage. That's doubtful in my case. I've gradually used more cloud storage. Photos are backed up to Google+, so there if something happens to the phone. And I don't take a ton of photos with my phone.. I have "real" cameras for more than the occasional snapshot. I use Google Music and "pin" those albums that are on high rotation (for listening when I don't have connectivity). I've never needed more than 32gb, so I doubt there's an SD card in my future. I'll probably end up using 15-20gb internal storage on average.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

I like having the removeable memory incase the device is destroyed.
I can remove the card and plug it into most any computer or accessory to access or share files, using a Micro card reader flash drive if necessary.
And yes, it expands device storage capacity in my 16G Nokia Lumia 1520.
I am only using a 32G card, and it is in the 3/4 full range, but I feel comfortable.
I don't know if keeping the device storage free improves performance.
I also have a 32G Nexus 5, (21G still available, I added a good amount of Music and Videos) with no SD slot, it is blazing fast compared to my retired Android device. Not a fair comparison.
I like this M8 and the SD Card slot is a WIN! I am Jealous, but only for the speakers.

cruisingbasic

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Adding: microSD to M8
After I put the chip in my phone what do I need to do to set it up I wanted to store all my music videos pictures and contacts on to the card basically everything except for applications and other stuff that the phone uses I want on my card can anyone tell me how to set this up I'm doing this in case something happens to my phone I'll still have all my phone contacts music pictures and such thank you

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone will have different needs. I don't need to have an SD Card, but it is convenient to store music on it, as I can't always stream music due to me sharing my All Access account with a friend. I'd also rather clutter up the SD card with ROMs and backups and whatever than the internal storage. There have been times when I wiped the phone, only to accidentally wipe the backups I had for the phone as well.

SD Cards can become corrupted, so it isn't foolproof, but I think it's helpful for people that are on tight data caps. Streaming and accessing cloud storage could be too much data for some people.