Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Edge4U
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) vs Nexus 5 camera

Haven't made up my mind just yet between picking up the nexus 5
    Or the m8. This question is who have both or extensively
    Compared both cameras, photo quality; speed, 5x7 quality.
    Are the 2 far apart or they very close. In my limited gathering nexus
    5 is slower / slightly better detailed photos vs m8 faster shutter/ less detailed
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-06-2014 at 08:35 PM.

I'd go check out the photos and video threads for both devices here. You can get some great shots out of either device. You could also go and check out each phone at a retailer

In opinion the camera features and software in the m8 make up for the loss in detail.

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

Default Re: M8 vs nexus 5 camera

is it a significant loss in detail? reason being i ocasionally print 5x7 no cropping, due to my experience in composing shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge4U View Post
    is it a significant loss in detail? reason being i ocasionally print 5x7 no cropping, due to my experience in composing shots.
    I've heard other people with it say that it'd be perfectly fine for 5x7 printing. I'm not too familiar with the size, so I can't say for certain myself, but I'd say 95% of the shots I've taken so far have been more than decent. I think the main thing is that you'll probably be spending most of your time in HDR+ mode on the N5, and Auto with the One. I know the One has some manual controls, but Auto has been pretty great so far so I haven't really messed with them yet.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

If you are taking a lot of action shots, the M8 seems to be better. Unless you want to really blow up images, the m8 is going to probably be a little better, and definitely much better in low light when compared to the nexus 5.

Yea you can print 5x7 at over 300dpi I believe. If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

had a chance today to actually check out the m8, first impressions....simply gorgeous!. the m8 was displayed right next to the sg s5. simply no comparison imo looks wise and build quality. but first and foremost i wanted to try out the camera, all i can say that when compared with the nexus 5 which i played around earlier at tmo and the new sg s5 is that for the most part it was decent at best if and only for social media.but once you start zooming things in and cropping thats when you start to see the difference in detail, that being said i have concluded that it is NOT a dealbreaker when compared to the other exceptional atributes the m8 has to offer and i also think the camera doesnt deserve the slamming its got.

In my limited time with all 3 phones comparing cameras

M8- crazy fast shutter (important for catching the moment)
    good low light capture ( but loss in detail )
    shooting in sunlight sky on most shots look overexposed
    HDR+ mode nothing special
    no ois, but software image stabilization is decent
    great camera UI

GS S5-fast shutter
    megapixels do count especially when cropping and blowing things up a bit
    good camera UI ( but a bit too busy)

Nexus 5- slow in HDR+
    always good to have OIS
    acceptable cropping and enlarging to a certain extent
    vanilla ui

For me it comes down the to N5 or M8...I will be buying off contract so price comes to the equation, but i gotta say despite the camera being the only thing i cant aplaud, the M8 is truly something to behold.
    Skyway likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

had a chance today to actually check out the m8, first impressions....simply gorgeous!. the m8 was displayed right next to the sg s5. simply no comparison imo looks wise and build quality. but first and foremost i wanted to try out the camera, all i can say that when compared with the nexus 5 which i played around earlier at tmo and the new sg s5 is that for the most part it was decent at best if and only for social media.but once you start zooming things in and cropping thats when you start to see the difference in detail, that being said i have concluded that it is NOT a dealbreaker when compared to the other exceptional atributes the m8 has to offer and i also think the camera doesnt deserve the slamming its got.

In my limited time with all 3 phones comparing cameras

M8- crazy fast shutter (important for catching the moment)
    good low light capture ( but loss in detail )
    shooting in sunlight sky on most shots look overexposed
    HDR+ mode nothing special
    no ois, but software image stabilization is decent
    great camera UI

GS S5-fast shutter
    megapixels do count especially when cropping and blowing things up a bit
    good camera UI ( but a bit too busy)

Nexus 5- slow in HDR+
    always good to have OIS
    acceptable cropping and enlarging to a certain extent
    vanilla ui

For me it comes down the to N5 or M8...I will be buying off contract so price comes to the equation, but i gotta say despite the camera being the only thing i cant aplaud, the M8 is truly something to behold.
    It's also twice the price of the N5 off contract. That's worth considering IMO.

I would definitely want the M8 more (other than software updates the N5 has no clear advantage) but would be tough to justify the price difference. There is a size difference, but I can't count that as a negative since that's a matter of preference. I can say that I don't have an issue with the M8 size, and came from an N5 and M7.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    It's also twice the price of the N5 off contract. That's worth considering IMO.

I would definitely want the M8 more (other than software updates the N5 has no clear advantage) but would be tough to justify the price difference. There is a size difference, but I can't count that as a negative since that's a matter of preference. I can say that I don't have an issue with the M8 size, and came from an N5 and M7.
    I here you as for wanting the M8 more! buy yeah the price is a major consideration, I think the camera i can live with despite its shortcommings. I see that you came from a N5...how would you compare the 2 cameras?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I here you as for wanting the M8 more! buy yeah the price is a major consideration, I think the camera i can live with despite its shortcommings. I see that you came from a N5...how would you compare the 2 cameras?
    For what I do with my pics both are great. The M8 is much faster and better in low light.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.