Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I know there is a setting in the Wi-Fi section that will automatically turn on and use Wi-Fi when the mobile network is spotty. Have you turned that off?

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you're with Sprint it could be their connections optimizer. You can go into phone settings and turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
What Skyway said. Plus, if you have gives an app (like maps or some location oriented thing) permission to turn on WiFi, that could be it.

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
If you have the at&t version make sure you have the smart wifi turned off or disabled

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Only thing on under advanced wifi setting is network notifications

Really? What carrier are you on? On my AT&T m8 I have a boatload of options. It also tells me my mac address and ip address in there

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Im still having this problem. The wifi is still turning on

Did you turn off the Connections Optimizer in system settings?

Edit to add: It's on all Sprint phones, but oops if this is a Nexus 5 forum thread, it wouldn't be on a Nexus 5 if you bought it from Google, I don't think. But Sprint may have sent an OTA update to keep your phone turning on WiFi?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Wifi optimizer is turned off. Everything is turned off. Still comes on

Hmm, they may have done something new because people were turning off the connections optimizer. I'd check over on the Sprint forums, they may be talking about it there. Good luck.

Edit to add: The same thing happened on this phone when I had it on Boost Mobile, but I assumed that I couldn't disable the connections optimizer because I was on prepaid and not Sprint proper. Since the data was unusable on BM, I just decided to forget about it. But yes, it really is annoying that it couldn't be turned off.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

jbarker208

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same issue with my Sprint HTC One since the last update and have been searching forever for an answer until someone in here mentioned something that fixed it. You said Wi-Fi Optimization is off - I assume that's under the wifi settings? If you go into Mobile Data > Automatic Connections. Uncheck Wifi Optimizer. When I went back into the setting I got a long message about how it'll automatically connect to the wifi if there is a weak mobile data signal. This worked for me, and again I'm also on Sprint, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're with Sprint it could be their connections optimizer. You can go into phone settings and turn it off.

This. If you're on Sprint it is definitely their connection optimizer.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This. If you're on Sprint it is definitely their connection optimizer.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

And when I was on Boost Mobile, the thing won't stay turned off. I thought it might be different though, for postpaid Sprint subscribers. :/

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. That worked. I didn't know there was a optimizer under the Mobile data settings. I only unchecked the one under Wifi advanced setting
I've been having the same issue with my Sprint HTC One since the last update and have been searching forever for an answer until someone in here mentioned something that fixed it. You said Wi-Fi Optimization is off - I assume that's under the wifi settings? If you go into Mobile Data > Automatic Connections. Uncheck Wifi Optimizer. When I went back into the setting I got a long message about how it'll automatically connect to the wifi if there is a weak mobile data signal. This worked for me, and again I'm also on Sprint, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech