View Poll Results: M8 or Z2?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • M8

23 82.14%
  • Z2

5 17.86%
    I can't believe there isn't one of these threads already. Ok, so initially I had my heart set on the Sony Xperia Z2, but seeing as how the M8 is performing extremely well in almost every area, I'm reconsidering my choices. It's pretty much down to these two and I'm not interested in other devices (like S5 for example).

I don't care too much about camera quality in a phone - I've got my DSLR for that.

Here's what is confusing me:

Points for the HTC One M8:
    1. Better speakers (I've seen the video comparisons so no arguments on this)
    2. Better design (in my eyes)
    3. IR blaster present
    4. So far I'm seeing it top the benchmarks whereas Z2 is just 3rd or 4th in rank
    5. Excellent battery life (shows that the OS is optimized - this might give other advantages that are not immediately apparent as well)
    6. Fast charging feature
    7. Presence of a battery saving mode that can give me 15 hours on a 5% charge - I see myself using that all the time
    8. Better lockscreen (I don't like the lockscreen unlock animation of the Z2)
    9. More streamlined Sense experience (arguable, maybe?)
    10. Little things like TEXT REFLOW to custom zoom level in browsers that matter a lot! (I really don't know why others are not implementing this)

Points for the Sony Xperia Z2:
    1. Extra 1 GB RAM will be useful for multitasking
    2. Bigger and RGB notification LED (Somewhat important for me - HTC has only ONE color for notification? Definitely a joke, right? Right?)
    3. Waterproof phone (I might use it in the swimming pool maybe 2-3 times during the life of the phone, practically thinking. But it will ensure peace of mind during the heavy rains here)
    4. More applications in the multitask pane (M8 has max 9!!)
    5. Better positioned power button
    6. Built-in noise cancellation (I could definitely use this on flights and buses)
    7. Less cluttered notification bar (Things like the battery percentage showing inside the battery bar, and similar stamina mode icon make for this. The M8's notification bar is almost always cluttered with a myriad of icons which irritates me)
    8. Better screen (Again, I'm convinced of this. The difference is not too much though - mainly to do with better reds, higher overall contrast and saturation)
    9. Better stock dialer app (in M8, smart dialing gives you only the top hit and for others you've to expand the list)
    10. Better stock Music Player - Walkman
    11. Better stock app drawer (I prefer the pages interface to the scrolling interface of the M8)

Honestly I'm having a pretty tough time deciding, and I would much appreciate your opinions (as long as it comes with a logical justification that is :P).
    Thanks!

PS - I realize I'm posting this in the M8 forum so people would tend to be naturally biased towards their device, but I would appreciate it if you could be as honest as possible.
    04-06-2014 07:49 PM
    When is the Z2 actually coming out?
    04-06-2014 08:54 PM
    When is the Z2 actually coming out?
    It's already released in certain parts of the world, like Taiwan for instance. I don't know about your country, but here in India it's expected around 20th April.
    04-06-2014 08:56 PM
    Hmm, if I were in your position I might just want to wait until I could handle both in-store and then decide based on that. Comparing the two on the criteria you listed I think it just comes down to which one you prefer using. Personally every one of my smartphones has been an HTC phone, I love their hardware design, and I love their software design, it's a really good fit. The Z2 looks like an impressive phone, but it doesn't wow me as much in those areas. So yeah, that's my advice, go by feel and aesthetics.
    g4rvd4 likes this.
    04-06-2014 09:21 PM
    I can't believe there isn't one of these threads already. Ok, so initially I had my heart set on the Sony Xperia Z2, but seeing as how the M8 is performing extremely well in almost every area, I'm reconsidering my choices. It's pretty much down to these two and I'm not interested in other devices (like S5 for example).

I don't care too much about camera quality in a phone - I've got my DSLR for that.

Here's what is confusing me:

Points for the HTC One M8:
    1. Better speakers (I've seen the video comparisons so no arguments on this)
    2. Better design (in my eyes)
    3. IR blaster present
    4. So far I'm seeing it top the benchmarks whereas Z2 is just 3rd or 4th in rank
    1. HTC had admitted to allowing the phone to run faster for benchmarks, much like the s4 last year

2. Excellent battery life (shows that the OS is optimized - this might give other advantages that are not immediately apparent as well)
    A lot of that is because of the snapdragon 801, I'm expecting the z2 to be better due to the same chip and a 3200mah battery

6. Fast charging feature