HTC One (M8): WIFI connection issues?

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
So i love my HTC One M8, its my first Android phone, been an iPhone user for 6 years.
I love it except for a strange wifi issue that i'm having. I'll be connected to a wifi network with good signal strength. Then seemingly randomly i'll go to use chrome and I'll get the little dinosaur error that says I am not connected to the internet. So i go to settings, quickly turn Wi-Fi on then off and it works.

It's not my home network, because i don't have this problem with any other device and it happens on other networks too. Anyone else having this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: WIFI connection issues?

I've noticed this twice with mine. Both times were when I was using a wifi connection where there were a lot of people connected to the same network. One at work, where about 10 people are connected to the same network, and another at a Panera. However, both times, my tablet stayed connected just fine to the network. While the M8 showed full strength, it had no internet connection. So perhaps it's just getting booted or something?

Heytham Ajine

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I was having the same issues this morning. My wifi singl was full(excellent) yet nothing would load. Soon after I turned on data and turned it off and my wifi was fine. Did a speedtest against my Xperia ultra and the M8 gave better results. This has happened last night when I first connected to my network and today morning again. Heres a video I took showing the issue..oh and I also get the sim card read error from time to time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN-6ssg_KIg&list=UUKr9drxENZw4M8b3hftnZlQ

javor2000

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I have the same issue. I got it yesterday and all day long was dropping my home network connection. Everytime I have to turn the phone off and on to get it back to connect to the wifi.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having similar issues with the WiFi on my M8.

The main problem I am experiencing is that the WiFi on my M8 is randomly Disabling itself. Even when I am on my home WiFi. I have also noticed that the phone seems to be randomly shutting itself off completely.

I have been trying different fixes, including the suggestion about changing the WiFi device name. So far nothing has worked.

Last night, however, I was in the Setting Menu, and was scrolling through the apps on my M8. I noticed that the Sprint Connections Optimizer was active. I had remembered Disabling it the night that I got my M8, and I was surprised that it was active. I clicked on the app and noticed that the Disable button was Grayed-Out. I did at least hit the Force-Stop button. As soon as I Force Stopped the Sprint Connections Optimizer, the WiFi came back on and reinabled itself. I kept checking the WiFi icon in the status bar, and the WiFi stayed enabled. Early this morning, I checked my phone, and the WiFi was off. I checked the other WiFi, and it was Disabled again. I reinabled it, and right in front of me, it disabled itself. I checked the Sprint Connections Optimizer, and it had restarted itself. I again Force Stopped it, and as of 4:32 AM, it has stayed connected.

So, in summary, my guess is that my WiFi problems are related to the Sprint Connections Optimizer app.

That my also might be the cause of the WiFi problems that others are experiencing.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:
I had a friend at work, who helped me to root my M8, to Freeze the Sprint Connections Optimizers app. Now my WiFi is staying on, and is working Great!

I love my M8, and HATE the Sprint Connections Optimizers app!

Sorry for the double post...

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had no problems with my phone. Every day I am on wifi at home, then when I go to work. Sometimes I go elsewhere. Everywhere I've been it works fine. Even though it was working I still went in and disabled Sprint Optimizer. I'd love to root my phone and get rid of it for good, but have no idea where that info is for this phone.

GregIsARadDude

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I tried the WI-FI direct fix, i guess we'll see. My Wifi password is only 8 characters, so I dont think it's that. I swapped out my phone with Verizon, and still having issues, so i'm thinking its a software issue and not a hardware.

I even switched channels on my router, still no luck.

rockyjay

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the bad WiFi issue may have something to do with being in a power saving mode. Try turning that off and see if the connection improves

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any issues other than the fact that my One X would let me get half a block from my router without losing connection. The M8 gives me about 100 feet from the router.

Ephraim Garcia

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
yes it's definitely a software issue and it should be fixed through an update. I was having an issue with this as well and it was very frustrating. what seemed to work for me was I turned off the mobile data and my wifi, than I turned my wifi on and left the mobile data off. I am getting my normal wifi speed, my videos are streaming normal and the websites are loading faster. hope this helps.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon M8 chiming in with this issue as well. Most noticeable when I am using splashtop and remoted into another machine off my network. I will be connected for 2 mins then am booted off with no WiFi connection. It reconnects a second later and work s again for another few minutes. The tell tale that the WiFi went down is the "connected to 'insert WiFi name here'" messsage that comes up in the notification center after the drop.

VERY annoying. I'm trying the WiFi direct fix now and so far so good but who knows just yet.

Edit: nope still dropping.

Sent from my HTC One (M8) using tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Your wifi password must be 9 characters or less. Bug in the firmware. Verizon HTC One M8. ;)

Please provide a source for this information. I would like to verify before I change my 26 character wifi password and then have to subsequently change it on all my other wifi devices and would rather not do it on a whim.