Camera not working at all - crashes on opening

mrpetrov

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I've had my new M8 for about a week. The camera worked at first, but for the last day it has stopped working totally.

When I open the app it just stays black for a few seconds, then crashes back to desktop. I've tried closing the app down and restarting and doing a hard reboot - no luck.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this or fixes?

Thanks,
Petrov.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If so you have to go into the lastpass preferences / edit app associations / Camera and select do not show fill window.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mrpetrov

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for the tip. I actually checked if there was a system update, and there was. Loading that seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for the help.

P.

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, I've had my new M8 for about a week. The camera worked at first, but for the last day it has stopped working totally.

When I open the app it just stays black for a few seconds, then crashes back to desktop. I've tried closing the app down and restarting and doing a hard reboot - no luck.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this or fixes?

Thanks,
Petrov.

This exact same thing happened to me this morning. I was taking a couple of photos in the garden and when I tried to open the camera app I just got the black screen and it went to the homescreen immediately. I tried tried switching to the camera mode but it just did the same thing. So back camera and front camera are both dead. I tried a power down and restart a couple of times to no avail. Tried clearing camera data. No luck. I'm on AT&T. Checked for a software update and it says I'm up to date. I haven't tried a factory reset yet. The thought of setting everything up again is daunting but it may come to that. Has anybody else experienced this?

Edit: I just finished a chat session with HTC tech support and they helped resolve the problem. They had me do a re-power to safe mode (which I had never done before) after clearing the data from the camera app. Hold the power off button down until the Power Off screen displays. Then long press Power Off until the restart to safe mode screen comes on. After restarting the camera app should work again. I then did another normal power off and restarted again and the camera still works. Unfortunately, all my widgets disappeared and I'll have to reload those but better than a factory reset. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

maliulusal

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Guys I have no lastpass app
And clear data from the camera app, and re-power to safe mode. But it didn't make work camera app?
Please help me soon.
My software information is 1.54.707.7

Last edited:

maliulusal

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my m8 yesterday. My camera has never worked. I don't know what to do please help me about it? I have Htc One M8 without camera :(

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Guys I have no lastpass app
And clear data from the camera app, and re-power to safe mode. But it didn't make work camera app?
Please help me soon.
My software information is 1.54.707.7

I would see if there is a software update available. I would also try a full factory reset.

Aneeq_01

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I basically just put phone into the boot loader and rebooted from the custom recovery. This made my camera start working again as normal.

To go into boot loader you need to hold power and volume down button. Then you need to click recovery. Depending on your recovery you will then need to boot back into the system by clicking 'reboot to system'.

imasiga

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In most cases it happens so because the internal memory storage is not enough for the camera's operating virtual mem cache. That's why if you boot in safe mode the camera works normal. The solution is to buy external storage (micro SD) and move all the junk (pictures, videos, apps) to the storage so as to free up space in the internal storage. It worked for me.